BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Is It Just Me?

Jan

I was happy with Emerton at right back but we defo need a Bentley replacement and more importantly for me we needed a creative midfielder (and we've needed it for years as Tugay has aged). Reid looks like Savage did when he came back from a bad injury - not the same player at all. He doesn't even make those bursting runs anymore.

It's all a bit anti-climatic at the moment. :(

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent news that Rovers have kept their heads and not wasted the cash pot on overpriced rubbish.

If you go car shopping and have a shortlist of an Alfa, an Audi and a BMW, you don't switch to a Skoda just because you can't find the better car within your budget.

The "Rovers have had ages since Bentley went" argument doesn't wash either. The world hasn't seen a sudden influx of ready made right wingers in that time.

If the best available was Pennant, we're far better off leaving well alone. Nothing but trouble since he drove p!ssed into a lampost. If the lad wants to play football regularly he could have gone to Stoke. If Stoke somehow isn't good enough for Pennant, Rovers shouldn't ever touch him with a bargepole.

Rubbish Tris. In the entire world of football, there isn't a single player available within reason, or even at a slightly inflated cost, that is better than Brett Emerton? Do you think you can take watching Emerton and Reid playing right wing until January, possibly until the end of the season?

£500k per Premier League place, let's remember that.

Wright-Phillips was excellent for City today.

Makes you wonder why at £9m Rovers didn't make a pitch for him as a replacement for Bentley instead of wasting money on central midfielders that were not needed.

Do agree with what you say. We do need a right mid now. But since the transfer windows has closed, just let see what can our current team do... Arsenal will be a big test for and that will show what our team is made of.

Rubbish Tris. In the entire world of football, there isn't a single player available within reason, or even at a slightly inflated cost, that is better than Brett Emerton? Do you think you can take watching Emerton and Reid playing right wing until January, possibly until the end of the season?

£500k per Premier League place, let's remember that.

Well I suppose we could've stuck Robinho out on the right wing for a season, and at £500K per PL place (see - I remembered) if we improved by 65 places then that would have paid his fee back.

Or Fellaini (?sp) - £15 million - so that only needed an improvement of 30 places.

Failing that, well it seems Jermaine Pennant was available. However Pennant refused a move to Stoke who DID agree to the inflated fee that Liverpool were asking. If he prefers Liverpool stiffs to a challenge at the top level, then that certainly isn't the type of hungry player we want at our club.

We need players who are driven to succeed in the blue and white halves - I'm quite sure the manager and club identified targets for right midfield, but if all the factors didn't come together then so be it.

I'm glad no money was wasted. We'll be fine with what we've got.

I've got to agree with Tris at this stage.

We have a new manager who is trying to mould the team in his way. It's totally different to the way they have played over the last four years.

It could need upto half the season for "his" team to show it's wares.

Some of you seem to want "our" team to carry on from what was on show up to January 08. Well sorry guys, that's not going to happen. It didn't happen with Hughes and it's most certainly not going to change with Ince. He will want to get the team to play his way. Accept it.

I've got to agree with Tris at this stage.

We have a new manager who is trying to mould the team in his way. It's totally different to the way they have played over the last four years.

It could need upto half the season for "his" team to show it's wares.

Some of you seem to want "our" team to carry on from what was on show up to January 08. Well sorry guys, that's not going to happen. It didn't happen with Hughes and it's most certainly not going to change with Ince. He will want to get the team to play his way. Accept it.

If the intention always was to play in a completely different style dave, that's fine. (Albeit it it may or may not work)

However that didn't seem to be the intention when Mathias gave an interview in the LT and assured everyone a top quality replacement for DB would be brought in.

Which hasn't happened.

:rover: i would like to remind all detracters that you follow BLACKBURN ROVERS, a little town club in east lancashire.we have owners who are willing to sell us to any tom dick or harry,but most of you expect us to compete with the big 4 in the transfer market.GROW UP :angry::brfc:

Well I suppose we could've stuck Robinho out on the right wing for a season, and at £500K per PL place (see - I remembered) if we improved by 65 places then that would have paid his fee back.

Or Fellaini (?sp) - £15 million - so that only needed an improvement of 30 places.

Failing that, well it seems Jermaine Pennant was available. However Pennant refused a move to Stoke who DID agree to the inflated fee that Liverpool were asking. If he prefers Liverpool stiffs to a challenge at the top level, then that certainly isn't the type of hungry player we want at our club.

We need players who are driven to succeed in the blue and white halves - I'm quite sure the manager and club identified targets for right midfield, but if all the factors didn't come together then so be it.

I'm glad no money was wasted. We'll be fine with what we've got.

Clearly I was advocating we go for the world's best players... Oh, and Pennant was merely an example.

I still believe that in the entire world of football there must have been a right winger available within our financial means that would have been an improvement on Brett Emerton and not money simply thrown away.

Excellent news that Rovers have kept their heads and not wasted the cash pot on overpriced rubbish.

If you go car shopping and have a shortlist of an Alfa, an Audi and a BMW, you don't switch to a Skoda just because you can't find the better car within your budget.

The "Rovers have had ages since Bentley went" argument doesn't wash either. The world hasn't seen a sudden influx of ready made right wingers in that time.

If the best available was Pennant, we're far better off leaving well alone. Nothing but trouble since he drove p!ssed into a lampost. If the lad wants to play football regularly he could have gone to Stoke. If Stoke somehow isn't good enough for Pennant, Rovers shouldn't ever touch him with a bargepole.

Nonsense. There are plenty of players available that would improve on what we've got now, and even then if we weren't 100% sure, we had plenty of time in which to at least loan someone until we were sure who we wanted.

As much as I agree that Pennant doesn't come across as a particularly agreaable chap, there is absolutely no doubt that football wise he would have improved our right wing options greatly.

Prices are generally higher in the January window, as teams are more desperate to improve their squads to avoid relegation/push for europe or whatever their situation is, so the whole argument about 'keeping our powder dry' is, frankly, balls.

It's difficult to not be negative about this - I view the fact that we've not replaced a key player with one of quality as a big failure by the club.

Here's to watching Bert and Reid's aimless wanderings down the right for the next 4 months. Whoopee. :blink:

I still believe that in the entire world of football there must have been a right winger available within our financial means that would have been an improvement on Brett Emerton and not money simply thrown away.

Probably there is. I bet this mythical guy would hate East Lancs though. Nasty rain, nasty wind, nasty Brockhall, nasty hills.

Brett Emerton has been here for 5 years and has signed to stay until the end of his career. He likes it here. That's worth half the battle of signing an unknown.

If the intention always was to play in a completely different style dave, that's fine. (Albeit it it may or may not work)

However that didn't seem to be the intention when Mathias gave an interview in the LT and assured everyone a top quality replacement for DB would be brought in.

Which hasn't happened.

Faair enough, rev, we should have got a "replacement", but if Ince et al thought they didn't need/or couldn't find one, what's to be done?

As it is, DB would have been hell to replace.

There are now two scenarios, that we bomb on from here and make a mockery of all the spending that other teams have made, or we really flop and make ourselves look as the newspaper hacks want us to look, or maybe a third situation, where we hang around the midfield, upsetting those above us, in their quest for a top four position.

I hope, for obvious reasons, that it's my first scenario, I' love it , just to upset a few of the wouldbe's

Here's the thing for me: to go through one transfer window where we say we won't be forced into a purchase and will bide our time is fine by me, even if that player (position) is really needed. The critical thing for me here is that we have now gone through two full transfer windows where we have said that better deals will be there in the next transfer window. At some point we have to bite the bullet and take a risk. I can't quite believe that we paid over the odds for Grella, who plays in a position where I think we could have got by without adding to (Emerton, Mokoena, Tugay, Reid, Samba, Ooijer...something could have been worked out), yet we have failed to fill this huge hole. We did the same last season in central midfield (a position that still hasn't been filled unless Villanueva totally lives up to the hype). Questions need to be asked.

Which hasn't happened.

I take this as a serious charge against the management team of Blackburn Rovers in FAILING TO DELIVER what they say they are going to deliver ?

Doesnt look good, most fans feel angry now that certain issues havent been addressed a few bad results and we could soon see a lot of disharmony at the club.

Reach for the tin hats time.

I take this as a serious charge against the management team of Blackburn Rovers in FAILING TO DELIVER what they say they are going to deliver ?

Doesnt look good, most fans feel angry now that certain issues havent been addressed a few bad results and we could soon see a lot of disharmony at the club.

Reach for the tin hats time.

They never said when he would come though :P

its a joke! <_<

Probably there is. I bet this mythical guy would hate East Lancs though. Nasty rain, nasty wind, nasty Brockhall, nasty hills.

Brett Emerton has been here for 5 years and has signed to stay until the end of his career. He likes it here. That's worth half the battle of signing an unknown.

Yup, he's a crap player but he wants to play for us.

Great logic.

Archived