BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul's Progress

As one who didn't want Ince as manager I still think the guy has to be given a chance to prove himself. Results have been mixed so far and other results - Pompey's win at Everton and Wigan's thrashing of Hull - have tended to take a little of the gloss off our own start.

I think that Ince is trying to adopt a more attractive style of play and that is a plus point in his favour.

I also applaud his willingness to give the youngsters their chance. As someone who has watched Treacy in the Reserves and questioned his workrate and application, I can't believe the improvement that Ince seems to have brought to his game. His performance at West Ham was the one bright spot of the afternoon and it can't be long before he replaces Pedersen on the left. If Ince can get Judge, Olsson and one or two more of the youngsters integrated into the first team squad that can only be a good thing for the club.

My main reservations about the manager revolve around his transfer dealings and, in fairness, this was always the area that we might expect him to have initial difficulties. He has had to set up his own scouting network to replace the one that departed to City with Hughes and at the same time try to find players to strengthen the squad. That would have been a large ask for an experienced manager and Ince, in management terms, is still a novice. I think we might expect that not all of his initial signings are going to be successful. Simpson, Andrews and the young Santa Cruz look like backup players and no more at this moment in time. Grella will hopefully improve - he couldn't be any worse than at West Ham and Carlos will hopefully find his feet and become a force in the Premier League. I fully support the manager's reluctance to throw young Carlos in at the deep end. I suspect that he will be introduced gradually once the manager settles on a formation that can accomodate him. Robinson is a major worry as I feel his shortcomings are more about lack of technique than loss of confidence. I have seen nothing so far to suggest that he will reach the levels of consistency that Brad achieved. Hopefully, the lad from Northampton will prove an inspired signing and press for a place in the team quite quickly.

The constant stop-start to the season because of internationals is not helping Ince to solve problems on the training ground. He will loose a number of players for a couple of weeks now to international football and so misses the opportunity to improve the defensive aspects of the team.

I think the manager may well need a season to bed in and become accustomed to managing at this level. As long as we avoid getting sucked into the relegation area then I think he should be given this season to develop his own ideas and style of play. The time to judge him will be next season when he has had time to assess the players we have and add to them in January and next summer. It is unrealistic to expect him to pick up where Hughes left off and try to challenge for Europe this season. Mid table and a couple of decent Cup runs would be a good start for Ince.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Things need time to settle. We have had about 5 new players, a new manager and a whole new scouting set up and coaching team after the exodus of the Taffia. However, few here will be patient, as they want to emulate Newcastle fans.

Couldn't agree more.

I have been giving Ince the benefit of the doubt but really

think he has let himself down by not buying a RW! In the centre mid

we are overloaded yet we still are lacking on the right and maybe up front if

we lose santa for a few games!

I would be even more annoyed if we pay Pennant 50K a week and pay 5M for him. It has to be the right deal for us we are not loaded and as such should not be spending for the sake of it a la Everton. If we have to wait till Jan fine by me.

Things need time to settle. We have had about 5 new players, a new manager and a whole new scouting set up and coaching team after the exodus of the Taffia. However, few here will be patient, as they want to emulate Newcastle fans.

Not true. What I want is to see progress and an improving squad, and more importantly an improving team. So the question is after this window closes is whether the squad and team are stronger than before. And the answer is that even the most optimistic blue-tinted glasses would agree that at best the squad is comparable and the team is weaker. And this is at the same time that, with the exception of Everton, our main rivals are improving very rapidly. Now this may be the board - or it may be Ince. But frankly, as I said on another thread, I think anything above 10th this season will be a really good season

I should have waited a bit longer on this, but it is spring here. Yes, things could have gone a little better (results-wise), but PI seems to be settling in well at BRFC.

So far;

Robinson - Buy (lacks confidence, but still a decent purchase)

Simpson - Loan (Jury is still out on this fella, so lets see by christmas)

Andrews - Buy (cheap acquistion and another that is a wait & see)

Grella - Buy (needs to settle, he should do a decent job as a DM)

Villenueva - Loan to buy (could be a very shrewd purchase)

J. Santa Cruz - Buy (if he is as half as decent as his brother, this will be a good move)

Paul, IMO, seems a lot more savy with the camera's and his interviewing technique.

So far 6.5* out of 10.

* this score drops to a 5, if we dont get the right sided midfielder we need.

Looks like quantity over quality 4 out of 10 at best!

This isn't a matter of his current signings, I'm actually quite optimistic over the likes of Carlos, Robinson, Simpson, Grella and Andrews. This is absolutely about his failure to bring in a right midfielder.

Ince no longer has my confidence.

Quite optimistic over 5 signings made in 6 weeks, but the fact that we tried (and failed) to sign permanently a new right winger measn the manager has lost your confidence?

What a bizarre judgement call that one is.

I'm sorry Stu, but I find your judgement equally bizarre. Any manager worth his salt will be able to address the one outstanding weakness in a Premier League side. Even if it means bringing in somebody to provide some depth.

Did we really try to bring in a right winger? I don't think we tried anywhere near hard enough, that's for sure. I honestly feel it's as simple a matter as that.

I'll continue to support Ince, partly because he seems such a quality, querky guy, but he has lost my confidence. I'm being absolutely serious. But don't think that I am squaring the blame soley at Ince, this is a criticism of the club from the top down.

And the answer is that even the most optimistic blue-tinted glasses would agree that at best the squad is comparable and the team is weaker.

That seems a reasonable summing up of the squad. I'd say we are marginally weaker than last season and much will depend on the impact made by Robinson and Villanueva. Despite 7th place we weren't that good last season so it will be interesting to see what Ince can squeeze out of the squad. I'd suggest Spurs, Villa and Pompey should finish above us so 8th would be a decent finish. That isn't much to get excited about so it's to be hoped the attacking football Ince has promised actually happens, though I can't see we have the players to deliver it, and we have an entertaining mid-table season.

I'm sorry Stu, but I find your judgement equally bizarre. Any manager worth his salt will be able to address the one outstanding weakness in a Premier League side. Even if it means bringing in somebody to provide some depth.

Did we really try to bring in a right winger? I don't think we tried anywhere near hard enough, that's for sure. I honestly feel it's as simple a matter as that.

I'll continue to support Ince, partly because he seems such a quality, querky guy, but he has lost my confidence. I'm being absolutely serious. But don't think that I am squaring the blame soley at Ince, this is a criticism of the club from the top down.

How many more managers have lost your confidence? I absolutely guarantee that the vast majority of PL managers DID NOT get their targets, and it will not be for the lack of trying, look at some of the dealings going on last night?! We can't compete with them in that environment!

I saw another post on the transfer thread where one of our guys couldn't understand why a guy had chosen Real Madrid and not us and he only went for £7 Million??? WTF?

If the right person for the right money WHO WANTS TO PLAY FOR US isn't available, what can you do???

PI will roll his sleeves up, try our youngsters and plan for January, like a good manager should do.

Confidence my arse!

How many more managers have lost your confidence? I absolutely guarantee that the vast majority of PL managers DID NOT get their targets, and it will not be for the lack of trying, look at some of the dealings going on last night?! We can't compete with them in that environment!

I saw another post on the transfer thread where one of our guys couldn't understand why a guy had chosen Real Madrid and not us and he only went for £7 Million??? WTF?

If the right person for the right money WHO WANTS TO PLAY FOR US isn't available, what can you do???

PI will roll his sleeves up, try our youngsters and plan for January, like a good manager should do.

Confidence my arse!

perhaps Paul Ince as a manager doesn't have the managerial contacts our previous managers have had to sign players and his backroom staff are know help either only at lower league level . That is one of the reasons he should never have been appointed in the 1st place .

That about money is b****** we could have even got a loan signing

A blind man can see the areas we need strengthening . RANT OVER

It's clear to see that the teams in and around us have invested in some really good players. It is so obvious that we are lacking any creativity or pace in the side and buying a right winger to replace Bentley was a must. Paul Ince has not done this and for this reason we are a weaker side. Paul Ince and his staff have had more than enough time to look at potential replacements for Bentley and have failed to act. The excuse of having limited finances can't be used either, because it was reported that Hughes had £10 million to spend on players and then he left. After the sale of Bentley and Arsenal got their share you are looking at figures in the region of £22 million. After Grella and Andrews were bought in, we should still have had a huge amount of money to go and buy a top player. Yet again though, the lack of ambition lets us down.

What is this Ince and his staff have had enough time to purchase a right sided player?

As far as I am aware, Ince picks players he wants, then gives the list to JW whose job it is to conduct the transfers. If we have not signed a right sided player then it is 100% down to JW and the board, please someone correct me if this is wrong.

Let me take people back 12 months, we were lacking creativity in the middle of the park, a genuine right back and a left sided midfield player.

Forward 12 months and we have a genuine right back and a left sided player who is emerging and have brought Andrews and Carlos to provide some creativity in the middle (I know Carlos will probably play in the hole).

I think we need to realise that as a club we are one of the most prudent in the premier league. If you had a real rich list of clubs we would be at the top because we are virtually debt free and run the club as a football club should be run, we are an example to others.

We buy good players and make them better players. We know must cultivate and develop our youngsters as hopefully they will have a bond with the club and want to play for our great club. We have Treacy and Judge being blooded into the 1st time, something Hughes never did, this is our route to success and I for one applaud it. I am proud to be a Rovers supporter because we are that damn good INSPITE of the barriers that we face. Last year we had Chelsea, Villa, Portsmouth, Spurs, Sunderland, etc spend more money than us, where did they finish?

More important than a right sided player is the defence at the moment, lets sort that out and give the new first team SIX players, Robinson, Bunn, Simpson, Carlos, Andrews, Grella a chance to integrate into the side and take things from there.

Ince gives young players a stab, something Hughes was never keen on. Mark would rather buy some older prat no-one has heard of.

Usually that older prat (or younger prat like Bentley, Warnock and Samba) turned out to be very very good!

Treacy looks quality but that might be more to do with the fact that he is a cut above and maturing now, so maybe Hughes would have played him? If Ince brings through a number over the season then I would be with you.

Next two are Olsson and Judge. See if they get drafted in?

Saw him on Sky Sports the other day and his voice was trembling quite noticeably, like a child being forced to read something out loud in class when he doesn't want to.

Is it me or does anybody else think that John Williams has taken a step back recently. I commented on here 2-3 weeks ago that JW spoke more to the press than the manager which doesn't appear the case with any other club but since then I've hardly heard a word from Williams. Maybe now the season has started he's leaving him to stand on his own two feet.

Treacy looks quality but that might be more to do with the fact that he is a cut above and maturing now, so maybe Hughes would have played him? If Ince brings through a number over the season then I would be with you.

Rose tinted glasses in the extreme: that 3 games in Hughes would have broken the habit of the last 3 years. We were told so often on another thread that these young players couldn't possibly be good enough because Hughes saw them every day and didn't pick them. Much more likely that Treacy realises he now will be given a chance unlike under the previous regime. Definitely a bright spot of Ince.

The Bentley thing I'm not sure about. A blow as the team is currently set up, but then it was set up to revolve around Bentley. We did finish 6th mostly without him 3 years ago, so it all depends on how Ince changes our style of play. Last year's plan minus Bentley will fail, something new might be more entertaining and just as good. Early days

Usually that older prat (or younger prat like Bentley, Warnock and Samba) turned out to be very very good!

Next two are Olsson and Judge. See if they get drafted in?

MH probably wouldn't even have had Treacy in his squad, given certain things that happened last season between them.

Judgey may possibly have come through - he was in the squad for Pompey - but Ince give the lad his chance earlier (in pre-season) than MH would have done.

Olsson was already on MH's radar, but with Warnock's great form last season (generally) it wasn't clear where he would come through. He has been injured, and due to his pace, he's always got a chance in the squad and not just at left back. Interesting to note he played well and scored twice last night in reserves.

One last thing - it's not just Ince's fault we didn't get a right winger last night; I'd suggest it's hardly his fault at all. They'd identified their targets and it's up to JW et al to do the deals, and everyone at the club seemed certain an unnamed target was coming in yesterday evening (well after the Holman deal had died). The fact it flopped ultimately wasn't for the lack of trying.

Pennant to me was like going out on the pull on a Sat night, knowing you've got an easy jump with the fat ugly bird but you still spend your time trying to pull a hottie all the way up till 5 to two. Then when you get blown out, you look around and some other mug is sucking face with her, and you realise what a close shave you've just avoided.

Pennant to me was like going out on the pull on a Sat night, knowing you've got an easy jump with the fat ugly bird but you still spend your time trying to pull a hottie all the way up till 5 to two. Then when you get blown out, you look around and some other mug is sucking face with her, and you realise what a close shave you've just avoided.

Well, when you put it like that :lol:

Wise words

Archived