BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Paul's Progress

Hasta, I think part of the problem is that people don't like Inces' personality.

True but thats historical cos he was arrogant as a player. Was Hughes any different?

Another part of the problem is because he played for Man U.

Another part of the problem is because he is black.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was going to raise the race issue, but debate could get out of hand. Could be a problem for some folk I guess.

Hughes, whilst very aggressive on the pitch, is different to Ince. Of course, due to the way he played, he would have had a lot of people 'hating' him. He is also naturally quite quiet and has a lot of respect from people within the game for the way he conducts himself.

Most clubs fans would be reacting like ours to Ince IMO. Newcastle are a different breed, but look at their fans sites, and they are hardly complimentary about him!!

Was going to raise the race issue, but debate could get out of hand. Could be a problem for some folk I guess.

Hughes, whilst very aggressive on the pitch, is different to Ince. Of course, due to the way he played, he would have had a lot of people 'hating' him. He is also naturally quite quiet and has a lot of respect from people within the game for the way he conducts himself.

Most clubs fans would be reacting like ours to Ince IMO. Newcastle are a different breed, but look at their fans sites, and they are hardly complimentary about him!!

Yes,Ince was an arrogant so-and-so when he was a player. I hated him back then but that's is part of what made him so good. I don't believe that he has shown any of that arrogance since arriving at Ewood. People change as they get older and wiser and I choose to put that interpretation on what I have seen.

I have never read or heard of anyone in the game rubbishing Ince for his performance or ability - as manager or player. Indeed, all I have read from past colleagues has been positive. (To be fair, I just recalled the "Big time Charlie" accusation from SAF.........but I think this fits in with my comments in the last para.)

The fact that the Newcastle rumours exploded like they did seems to suggest that there are plenty of others out there who think that Ince has the potential to make it at this level. I happen to agree with them.

The fact that the Newcastle rumours exploded like they did seems to suggest that there are plenty of others out there who think that Ince has the potential to make it at this level. I happen to agree with them.

Or the lack of candidates available to Newcastle. All the usual candidates have been linked with them before and Ince is the only new name on the horizion. It also does not help that there is a link to Dennis Wise.

I agree about Ince having potential but at the moment that is all it is. Maybe with time he will become a great manager maybe not. Time will tell. He has not done anything wrong. He is trying to establish his own way of playing onto a team that was well drilled over time at playing a certain style of football. This won't happen overnight. He has taken his time is establsihing what type of players he requires and has not rushed and paid over the odds for anybody just to fill positions. Some have criticised this but personally i think he was right not to rush.

My one problem with Ince is that he always appears like a rabbit trapped in front of headlights when he is dealing with the media. It does not come across well and sometimes he says the wrong things. A prime example was yesterday when he was asked about the Newcastle speculation. At first he tried the usual 'i don't comment about speculation' but this later needed to be editted to I'm committed to Blackburn.

Or the lack of candidates available to Newcastle. All the usual candidates have been linked with them before and Ince is the only new name on the horizion.

I'm sure this is part of it too.......but the whole thing was crazy......he was being quoted as favourite in some quarters!

I agree about Ince having potential but at the moment that is all it is. Maybe with time he will become a great manager maybe not. Time will tell. He has not done anything wrong. He is trying to establish his own way of playing onto a team that was well drilled over time at playing a certain style of football. This won't happen overnight. He has taken his time is establsihing what type of players he requires and has not rushed and paid over the odds for anybody just to fill positions. Some have criticised this but personally i think he was right not to rush.

I agree with all of that.

My one problem with Ince is that he always appears like a rabbit trapped in front of headlights when he is dealing with the media. It does not come across well and sometimes he says the wrong things. A prime example was yesterday when he was asked about the Newcastle speculation. At first he tried the usual 'i don't comment about speculation' but this later needed to be editted to I'm committed to Blackburn.

Yes but sometimes a comment only gives the rumours credibility. He does come across poorly at times but he will improve.

True but thats historical cos he was arrogant as a player. Was Hughes any different?

Another part of the problem is because he played for Man U.

I agree with the above.

As I have mentioned numerous times before, Keane and Southgate got opportunities to join huge clubs when they finished playing and their CV's are identical to Ince (in fact Southgate's is the poorest), yet Ince had to take the worst job in league football to get a break. People can beat around the bush but race is clearly a problem with peoples perception of Ince and other black managers within the game.

All I want is for Ince to be given a similar break to Hughes at Rovers by the fans. Please view the Hughes thread after we were BOTTOM of the league after getting hammered 4-0 by Chelsea and find me the consistant level of abuse that Ince has had to put up with. Let the guy manage the team and lets reevaluate the situation in January when his team has bedded down and we get a good idea as to where we are going to finish in the league.

I agree with the above.

As I have mentioned numerous times before, Keane and Southgate got opportunities to join huge clubs when they finished playing and their CV's are identical to Ince (in fact Southgate's is the poorest), yet Ince had to take the worst job in league football to get a break. People can beat around the bush but race is clearly a problem with peoples perception of Ince and other black managers within the game.

All I want is for Ince to be given a similar break to Hughes at Rovers by the fans. Please view the Hughes thread after we were BOTTOM of the league after getting hammered 4-0 by Chelsea and find me the consistant level of abuse that Ince has had to put up with. Let the guy manage the team and lets reevaluate the situation in January when his team has bedded down and we get a good idea as to where we are going to finish in the league.

I don't think race was an issue. Keane got a chance because his friend was chariman and Southgate was at the right place at the right time. ince had gained a bad reputation especially at Wolves and that was the reason he did not get a chance at a higher club.

Ince will get the same support from the club as Hughes but as Ince is replacing a manager who was preceived to be successful he may not get the time that Hughes got from the fans. Hughes took over when the club was at the bottom, the team was not performing so Hughes could claim that it takes time to rebuild a bad team and blame Souness. Ince is seen as taking over a team that is not far of challenging the big clubs so he has not get taht excuse.

Just remember Hughes first signing for the club was the 36 year old French geezer from Bolton whose name I am not going to try and spell! Compare this with Fowler.

Just remember Hughes first signing for the club was the 36 year old French geezer from Bolton whose name I am not going to try and spell! Compare this with Fowler.

Bit of a lame comparison, as the transfer window was not open when Hughes joined. Therefore, he could only bring in free transfers (until January).

If all else fails, beat 'em with the race stick!

These are the apparent reasons people don't approve of Ince...

1) His inexperience in top-level management.

2) His Guv'nor image.

3) His lack of media savvy or confidence.

4) Punching below our weight in the transfer market.

It's cos he's a black man, innit? INNIT?

That is rubbish! Why introduce the issue of colour prejudice Hasta? Thats just a Mellelieu and leftwinger tactic to muddy the water and stir the sh1t at the bottom of the pond. I could possibly have accepted a point if you had said 'may be' rather than 'is'. By suggesting that everybody who dislikes the appointment of Ince is therefore by definition colour prejudice or a racist is pathetic and provocative and imo is nothing more than blatant mischief making!

Elijah sums your comments up to perfection.

I introduced it because I know more than one person who has cited Ince's skin colour to me as a reason they don't like the manager. Small minded but if you went in and around the local pubs of Blackburn and listened to enough conversations regarding Ince I'm sure you would hear someone make a negative comment regarding Ince's colour. It's certainly a small minority but it exists.

I accept that it should have read 'Part of some people's problem is because he is black.'

Forget all this talk of lack of activity in the transfer market and his image infront of the cameras. A lot of people were moaning like hell about Ince long before he was even appointed.

Forget all this talk of lack of activity in the transfer market and his image infront of the cameras. A lot of people were moaning like hell about Ince long before he was even appointed.

Actually, I remember a large group in full support of him when it looked like we might have BFS or McBrolly. It wasn't until we got up close and personal with Ince and saw his transfer targets that doubts began to sweep in.

Sunderland were in the Championship and Boro in the Premier league, they are 'big' clubs in comparison to Macclesfield who were bottom of the football league. There is a big issue with Black players struggling to find jobs when they are capable and have the badges, e.g. Blissett.

Ince being black is an issue with a number of supporters and will remain so, do your research. I simply want him to be given a chance, Hughes signed Youri D (who was a flop) and The Axe, was he given a chance? Of course he was, so why not Ince?

If you think Ince is signing sub standard players, surely those players need to at least play some games before you call them that? Or is that too much common sense for some people?

Ince's managerial record is far superior than Hughes' when he joined our club.

Would we have been happier with Zola?

Really?

Why are West Ham fans welcoming Zola? A legend of one of their rivals with no managerial experience?

But he has all his coaching qualifications and has been working with the Italian U21s.

In the modern game I'd say that's far more relevant to Premiership management than management experience in League Two.

But he has all his coaching qualifications and has been working with the Italian U21s.

In the modern game I'd say that's far more relevant to Premiership management than management experience in League Two.

Don't think we should have a go at Ince for working his way up and learning the ropes. The way he has done it, you learn about what management is about and dealing with different issues/problems etc.

I didn't mean it to sound like I'm having a go, I just meant I'd rather have someone like Zola than Ince. Learning to do with issues involving League Two players is a world away from doing it with with Premiership players. In League Two they're not overpaid prima donnas, he can get away with more authoritarian down there. Plus a lot of the players in League Two would be wowed by the name Paul Ince, whereas that won't really mean a thing at Prem level. I don't think tactics/training bare any resemblance either.

Edit: Also, Ince won't have been looking at the sort of players suitable for Rovers in the last couple of years. I think the fact that we got so many trialists in, as well as buying Andrews, shows that Ince's knowledge of Prem quality players isn't up to scratch yet because he would have been scouting League Two players for the past couple of years. Zola's been working with the Italian U21s and has probably seen quite a lot of exciting talent at that level. I expect some of the Italians might arrive at Upton Park in January, and maybe some others that he's seen in opposition teams.

Archived