BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reserves And Academy 2008/09

Rovers at home to Bolton at Morecambe tonight. Anyone going?

Team is:

Brown, Simpson, Marrow, Winnard, Kane, Judge, Andrews, Hodge, Olsson, Villanueva, Marshall.

Subs:

Fielding, O'Keefe, Doran, Griffiths, Santa Cruz, Gunning.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back. We won 5-1 as has already been reported on this site. Two goals each for Olsson and Judge. One goal for Marshall.

It was a good game. Andrews played some good through balls and was pretty impressive, as were Kane and Olsson. Judge was absolutely magnificent. He scored two goals and put in a very Bentleyesque performance, always wanting the ball. His passing and crossing were top draw. If he can play like that against better opposition then he could be the answer at right wing. Villanueva was extremely disappointing. Marshall needs taking down a peg or two - seems very arrogant and rarely passes the ball.

Judge was absolutely magnificent. He scored two goals and put in a very Bentleyesque performance, always wanting the ball. His passing and crossing were top draw. If he can play like that against better opposition then he could be the answer at right wing. Villanueva was extremely disappointing.

He was good in pre season as well. Would have been worth a better run out in the league cup game.

Maybe Villanueva was a little disappointed with not being given a run at Upton Park.

Just got back. We won 5-1 as has already been reported on this site. Two goals each for Olsson and Judge. One goal for Marshall.

It was a good game. Andrews played some good through balls and was pretty impressive, as were Kane and Olsson. Judge was absolutely magnificent. He scored two goals and put in a very Bentleyesque performance, always wanting the ball. His passing and crossing were top draw. If he can play like that against better opposition then he could be the answer at right wing. Villanueva was extremely disappointing. Marshall needs taking down a peg or two - seems very arrogant and rarely passes the ball.

Im sure you would have mentioned it, Did Roque Jnr. get on?

He was good in pre season as well. Would have been worth a better run out in the league cup game.

Maybe Villanueva was a little disappointed with not being given a run at Upton Park.

I think Carlos was just concerned with getting some pitch time.

Judge was excellent throughout. Simpson seems very reluctant to get forward.

Olsson looked very good and stronger than last season.

Marshall is an interesting player. Clever runs and gets in the right places, bit lightweight at the moment.

Andrews did OK without doing anything special.

Bobby Mimms has a fine pair of lungs as well.....

Pretty impressive performance. Villenueva looks to be severely lacking fitness but showed a couple of nice touches. Needs games to pick up fitness and sharpness. Keith Andrews was quite impressive, much better than I thought he would be. Neat and tidy on the ball, cant remember him losing possession once. Hodge alongside him looks a decent player, although I dont know whether he could step up to premier level.

Best player on the pitch, Number 7 Judge. Quality, good passing, energetic, good crossing and can beat a man for skil and pace. Kept going all game and got 2 goals.

Would have liked a chance to see Julio Santa Cruz, but he never came on.

Impressive and youthful reserve team by the looks of it.

Jason Brown, appears to have put on a bit of weight this summer. Didnt stand much chance with their goal.

Simpson solid if not special display.

Andrews lot better than what some members of this board have predicted. Picked up a yellow card for taking a quick free kick, before the ref had whistled.

Carlos, not that impressed on this performance - drifted out of the game, lightweight got knocked off the ball, couldnt tackle not match fit. Had one free kick first half, made the keeper dive and make a good save.

Olsson, 2 goals and looked sharp.

Judge, if he continues to progress will be a first team regular before the season is out. Streets ahead of everyone else. Can give Roberts lessons on taking penalties, if the keeper had got behind Judges shot, the keeper would have been in the back of the net. Played a great deal of the second half out on the right, but was more productive playing down the middle.

Villanueva needs more games like this to get his fitness and used to the pace of the game. He can't think all games will be like Grimsby - his expectations need tempering as much as our own. He showed his skill at times but Bolton marked him closer, tougher - which is exactly what he needs.

Perspective & context should be applied when mentioning Villaneuva, judging by his first performance then anything would be a step back. If AN other player performed like he did last night, I doubt he would be classed as 'poor'. An average performance given the level of competition, and other players standing out more, would be a more apt description I'd suggest.

Yet another stellar performance by Golden Balls Judgey, nice to see Olly playing well on his return from injury. Andrews looked consistent, apart from thinking he could ball juggle in the box ;-)

Surely, on merit Judge deserves to be considered for the right wing slot ahead of Reid? However, with all our seniors sloshing around: Dunn, Andrews, Grella, Mokoena, Reid, Emerton, Tugay, McCarthy, Villanueva and so on...will Judge even make the bench?

Does anyone know if any of the first team management were there?

We went and sat in the seating area next to the directors seats second half and there were alot of blackburn officials there with notepads and posh looking suits. Ray Mathias walked past us so he was definately there. Also looking at the staff profiles on the website im sure I saw Karl Robinson, who is the assistant 1st team coach. I think I might have seen archie nox too, but not sure. The other two were definately there.

Surely, on merit Judge deserves to be considered for the right wing slot ahead of Reid? However, with all our seniors sloshing around: Dunn, Andrews, Grella, Mokoena, Reid, Emerton, Tugay, McCarthy, Villanueva and so on...will Judge even make the bench?

Think it's not exactly news Incey rates Judge; however it's a big ask to throw him into the Prem right away - better to have an incremental graded approach as he's done with Treacy.

David Hoilett looks like he's going to be playing a part this season at Pauli, probably from the bench. If this is the case i'd assume he'd be one of the most likely to 'make the grade' of the current young'uns (by 'make the grade' I mean a decent Pro career). I'd equate Pauli's current standard to that of Leeds - high lg1/low championship quality players, passionate crowd of about 20k for home games. He also played a few games in the same league (BL2) last year for Paderborn, but they got relegated. He did manage to score against Gladbach for them though, who were one of the best teams in the division.

David Hoilett looks like he's going to be playing a part this season at Pauli, probably from the bench. If this is the case i'd assume he'd be one of the most likely to 'make the grade' of the current young'uns (by 'make the grade' I mean a decent Pro career). I'd equate Pauli's current standard to that of Leeds - high lg1/low championship quality players, passionate crowd of about 20k for home games. He also played a few games in the same league (BL2) last year for Paderborn, but they got relegated. He did manage to score against Gladbach for them though, who were one of the best teams in the division.

shhhh - he's the secret weapon, don't tell anyone !

Last thing we need is another 'next Duff or Dunn' tag, there'll be enough people getting ready to lynch Judgey and Treacy the first them they miss-hit a ball, we don't need them getting their hopes over Hoilett too :o

Have you actually seen him play yet?

shhhh - he's the secret weapon, don't tell anyone !

Last thing we need is another 'next Duff or Dunn' tag, there'll be enough people getting ready to lynch Judgey and Treacy the first them they miss-hit a ball, we don't need them getting their hopes over Hoilett too :o

Have you actually seen him play yet?

Well I was trying specifically not to label him as a next Dunn or Duff!

So far I would say hes easily capable of being a Champ/Lower BL/Upper BL2 regular starter in a few years... maybe the new Joe Garner is a better tag. Except without the on-field petulance.

I watch all Paulis games so I've seen the half hour or so he's had so far, plus the highlights from the firendly in which he single handedly demolished some no mark Swiss side, a hat trick I think. Also saw the Gladbach/Paderborn game at the end of last season - it was only then when my Gladbach mate started asking questions about him I even twigged he was one of ours - I'd have watched him more closely last season if i'd have known!

If you want to watch his progress more closely Pauli have an online tv channel you can sign up to.

EDIT: You can also watch the games on BWIN if you create an account and deposit £7 or so.

Well I was trying specifically not to label him as a next Dunn or Duff!

EDIT: You can also watch the games on BWIN if you create an account and deposit £7 or so.

Hey, know you weren't - but people will see this thread and automatically start shouting for him to be recalled! Not sure the Joe Garner link describes him best, but it's closer than Simon......

Hope he does well for St Pauli, a grand club as you say - nice kit, interesting chairman too, they've a good reputation as a bohemian club, no?

Please send me the link in PM pls for the Pauli link - do you get to go to games? Will they be playing Hamburg? BTW If you've the fixtures in English please send them too ;)

Hey, know you weren't - but people will see this thread and automatically start shouting for him to be recalled! Not sure the Joe Garner link describes him best, but it's closer than Simon......

Hope he does well for St Pauli, a grand club as you say - nice kit, interesting chairman too, they've a good reputation as a bohemian club, no?

Please send me the link in PM pls for the Pauli link - do you get to go to games? Will they be playing Hamburg? BTW If you've the fixtures in English please send them too ;)

By the Joe Garner comparison I think he could easily make a £1m move in the next few seasons - hopefully directly from us if he is deemed not good enough to retain.

As for Pauli, less 'Bohemian' more 'Politically conscious' is probably a better description. The chairman is a bit of a nutter, yes..very apt for the location of the club. I try to get to a few games a season - which has been very difficult for the past two years as the Sudkurve and Nord Kurve have both undergone redevelopment making the capacity a lot smaller. No game against the H$V scum this year unfortunately, Pauli are still in BL2 and look like being a very 'mid table' club for the forseeable future.

FC St Pauli TV if your not too hot with German your better off with BWin though.

FC St Pauli Spielplan 2008-2009 not in english but pretty easy to follow

By the Joe Garner comparison I think he could easily make a £1m move in the next few seasons - hopefully directly from us if he is deemed not good enough to retain.

As for Pauli, less 'Bohemian' more 'Politically conscious' is probably a better description. The chairman is a bit of a nutter, yes..very apt for the location of the club. I try to get to a few games a season - which has been very difficult for the past two years as the Sudkurve and Nord Kurve have both undergone redevelopment making the capacity a lot smaller. No game against the H$V scum this year unfortunately, Pauli are still in BL2 and look like being a very 'mid table' club for the forseeable future.

FC St Pauli TV if your not too hot with German your better off with BWin though.

FC St Pauli Spielplan 2008-2009 not in english but pretty easy to follow

Thanks for the info. I thought most SP fans didn't go in the ground and just went in that supermarket underneath and supped industrial quantities of beer in the streets :D

I'm pretty certain you will enjoy watching DH this season. I'd also be surprised if you think after then, we won't have him back ;) ;)

Few things to sort out with him, but he's every chance of doing well and I hope he does too. Rover's net casts wider than the Ribble Valley it seems.

Will watch out for him, thanks again for the links. Truth be told, have been on the website a few times to keep track of his performances. Noticed they'd played in a Reperbahn (sp?) tournament - so is that why they have the metal gates at each end of it, close the street of for a game of footy with the nightfighters in the windows as a crowd?

I think the tournament you speak of is a fanladen (like a fan club but with more say) thing, they do them at all levels - i think Wimbledon and FC Utd have played in them before, and Pauli always stick a team of sorts in. Wouldn't be any different to a Blackburn Rovers xi featuring a couple of youth/reserve/trialist/ ex veteran sort of thing playing against an amateur local town to open their new sports centre or something!

If the metal gates you mention are what I think they are they are closed for Street parties, but street football would be good!

Theres a Pauli forum for UK fans, can't remember the link tho - google it!

Anyway, sorry to hijack this thread with talking about Pauli & Holiett! Sods law he'll fall off a motorcycle and never play again now.

Archived