BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reserves And Academy 2008/09

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fowler taking free kicks?! What is the world coming to...

That's a good result for the reserves. Man U's team has a couple of Brazilians (Possebon and Da Silva) who are being raved about. They're supposedly close to getting first team opportunities.

Alex Marrow's now a centre back. Interesting.

Fowler taking free kicks?! What is the world coming to...

That's a good result for the reserves. Man U's team has a couple of Brazilians (Possebon and Da Silva) who are being raved about. They're supposedly close to getting first team opportunities.

Alex Marrow's now a centre back. Interesting.

I wouldn't read too much into the reshuffle at the back, GG played leftback - they do like to swap em around positionally to give em a better understanding of the game etc.

I take it the Brazilians were them two guys running around with mad Hair Bear Bunch barnets?

Aaron Doran nearly snatched a winner in last minute of Fergie time too; but good result as you say.

Most interesting line-up of the night was two Aston Martin Vantages and a DBS parked up for show, alongside the Northwich Vic Reliant Robin.

Also had a certain Mark Hughes as assistant referee.

Shows how football has gone mad if a few Aston Martins are in the car park. Unless they belong to someone like Scholes who may be returning from injury. Good to see a lot of youngsters in the reserves though.

No, they were just there as a promo for Stratstone, nowt to do with the players etc.

That said, Paul Stretford was mooching around - so much for his ban.

Wondered what the pay as play contract would say for Fowler in Reserves, half price? Or maybe it's minute based, given he only got 45? Shame Julio only got last five ...

BTW Roque was saying - in the true, humble 'model professional' manner we respect - that the players (himself included) know they have to turn better performances in & they're working on it, confident it will come good & it's not for the want of trying in training and team morale is good. Stock answer I know, but he's hardly likely to say he knows Nelsen, Warnock & Samba can't even do basic defending. Perhaps should have asked if he fancied a change in position seeing he defends corners as well as Shearer, and generally better than our centre halves.

Decent performance from the Reserves last night. Alex Marrow did well at centre-half, he seems to be being used more and more in this position. Was particularly interesting that he was in while Dean Winnard and Johnny Flynn were on the bench, although Flynn had played for the Academy last Saturday. Same with Gavin Gunning at left-back. He has played in that role in a number of pre-season games and was used in left back for the Academy the other week. I'm not convinced it's his best position but he is definately improving in this role. However, with the number of players that we have for the centre back position at this level it may well be that he will have to switch positions to get games. The size of our squads at Reserve and Academy levels means that players are having to be rotated on a fairly regular basis.

Olsson looked lively on the left hand side of midfield as he has good pace. Marshall again showed some neat touches and it would have been good to see him play alongside young Santa Cruz. Once again Fowler was not very impressive, and this against a very young United defence. One shot over the bar and that was his only real contribution during his forty-five minute walkabout - can't say I noticed him running a great deal. At the moment I just don't see how he can ever get ahead of the existing strikers and for me he would be behind Marshall in the pecking order.

Bunn looked sound in goal while Doran again continued to impress with his touch and work-rate.

The Academy have looked very good in the last couple of games and the Reserves have had an encouraging start to the League campaign. We seem to have got the best group of youngsters that we have had for some time at the club. It will be interesting to see how they develop this season and how many become serious contenders for first team places.

Decent performance from the Reserves last night. Alex Marrow did well at centre-half, he seems to be being used more and more in this position. Was particularly interesting that he was in while Dean Winnard and Johnny Flynn were on the bench, although Flynn had played for the Academy last Saturday. Same with Gavin Gunning at left-back. He has played in that role in a number of pre-season games and was used in left back for the Academy the other week. I'm not convinced it's his best position but he is definately improving in this role. However, with the number of players that we have for the centre back position at this level it may well be that he will have to switch positions to get games. The size of our squads at Reserve and Academy levels means that players are having to be rotated on a fairly regular basis.

Olsson looked lively on the left hand side of midfield as he has good pace. Marshall again showed some neat touches and it would have been good to see him play alongside young Santa Cruz. Once again Fowler was not very impressive, and this against a very young United defence. One shot over the bar and that was his only real contribution during his forty-five minute walkabout - can't say I noticed him running a great deal. At the moment I just don't see how he can ever get ahead of the existing strikers and for me he would be behind Marshall in the pecking order.

Bunn looked sound in goal while Doran again continued to impress with his touch and work-rate.

The Academy have looked very good in the last couple of games and the Reserves have had an encouraging start to the League campaign. We seem to have got the best group of youngsters that we have had for some time at the club. It will be interesting to see how they develop this season and how many become serious contenders for first team places.

Thanks Parsonblue.

Any idea when this season't youth cup starts?

Possibly, another youngster for the young guns.

Joey Gibbs

Be interesting to see how this lad does; the last Aussie came for a couple of trials had a lot of interest - Liverpool, Rangers, West Ham, Man United etc He was actually Lucas's academy first graduate, though clearly a good player I think Rovers passed on him as they were already strong in his area.

It's good to see, despite some fans animosity to the guy, that players such as Lucas still hold Rovers in high respect - it's a massive positive in recruitment, as can be seen by Nelsen's involvement in recruitment of Cameron Lindsay, yet another player the 'big 4' were tracking.

Archived