BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Transfer Window

tcj_jones

Disappointing that we didn't get a replacement for Bentley, but it also important that we get the right player.

Yes, buying decent players is not like buying groceries at the supermarket. Unless you are Chelsea or Man City.

who realistically was there for us to buy?

We appear to have weakened as a team, but we've had a lot of upheaval and these things take time to sort out.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Lancashire Telegraph reports from John Williams that we involved in a major transfer but it broke down at 10pm. Willaims also confirms that they spent yesterday fending of a sustained effort by a club to sign one of our players.

Disappointing that we didn't get a replacement for Bentley, but it also important that we get the right player.

Well, I am not sure the move for Holman counts as a "major transfer!" I'm pretty sure that must be the one in the paper unless Nicko missed something. The timings that Nicko reported seem accurate. Might be wrong though?

I'm annoyed we did not get a right sided player. As other people have said we had enough time to find the right guy (there are lots of right wingers out there in the world) and indeed we did identify a number yet it wasn't to be as we wouldn't lay the money.

I can understand the logic of that in a way - several of those we targeted have attitude problems and wanted more money than we could outlay. Yet we still should have been able to find someone? We pretty much ended up level in expenditure/recovery (and thats including setting 4m aside for Carlos) so there should have been money available (the Hughes compo plus whatever kitty we have). So to be honest at the end of the day the blame has to be attached to Ince. Most damming of all is that we were looking at a player like Holman (to cost circa 3m) on the last day as opposed to someone more substantial. Oh well.

Other than that, and the failure to take Sunderlands offer to buy McCarthy (if it really did reach 6m as Nicko says which seems likely given the money they have been throwing around) which was a big mistake, Ince has done a decent job. I like all of his signings with the possible exception of Grella who looked poor the other day but perhaps lacks sharpness . I accept we could do little to keep Freidal or Bentley.

This year is, on paper at least, going to be a struggle. Everyone in the top half have strengthend more than us in the last eight months. Man City, Portsmouth, Spurs and Villa considerably so. Even Everton, who were looking really tight, brought in an exciting young central player. On top of that Wigan, Newcastle, Middlesborough and Sunderland all seem to have brought in good individuals. Southgate and Bruce in particular seem to have turned their clubs around.

It could be very tough. Although the above is mostly down to available finance rather than Ince's work in the transfer market.

Ince is going to have to emulate Huges' ability of getting the best out of the less glamorous players if we are to have any hope of maintaining a top half finish.

Wow what a ridiculous over the top reaction. I was trying to think of something else to say but think that is pretty much it.

We have got the rest of the season yet, I don't see any reason to worry at all right now. The squad we have is good enough to cope, why can't we just sit and wait for some good players? Panic buying doesn't solve anything.

maybe its just me;

But I am at a loss how people think that 'sitting and waiting' for good players is going to improve us in the transfer market. Do you think the prices are going to suddenly come down? They didn't last January, they won't next January or summer. We've just witnessed a potential bubble burst at City - what happened, some other billionaires role in to town and prices jump up again. The same will happen at Newcastle - Ashley will go, someone else come in and they'll start throwing millions at it in another 12-18 months.

The top 7-8 teams will consistently push market prices up. You need to realise that to get a 'good' established player will cost upwards of 6-7 million, so will talented youngsters like Kightley. They won't suddenly half the asking price because BRFC have been prudent and waited 6 months. If you get the right one, they will double/treble in value within a year. To remain competitive we need to be adding 2 of these players a year. By all means bring through the youth and pan the squad out with budget and free transfers - and yes, we may uncover the odd gem doing this.

A prime example of Rovers lack of foresight and the development of the transfer market forces is Lassana Diarra. Last January he was offered around £6million. A 22 year old International who had single handedly destroyed Rovers a couple of weeks previously. Rovers wanted (and still do IMO) a quality ball winning box to box midfielder. Too expensive was the cry from the board - we can't compete in that price bracket. Most fans agreed - good player, but too expensive. In six months his perceived value has now doubled.

Would the board have sanctioned £6million for him if he was available at that price this summer? With hindsight, would you have signed him?

We have missed the boat with Farfan, Dos Santos, Kompany, Kightley and no doubt more all of whom would significantly improve our first 11 and could have been bought for between £5- 7 million. Can you see any of these players moving for less than £10 million in January, or next summer? If any have a good season you will be looking at £15million +

The point I am trying to make is that the players were out there, we had the money (allegedly) but need to change our transfer policy drastically. No we can't realistically compete with the Big clubs and the Robinho deals, but if we want to remain in the middle tier we need to invest accordingly. I can see no financial reason why we can't bring in say 2 of the players above each year.

You only need 1 out of 4 players of the above calibre to have a good season (must have about a 80% chance of one) in the Pemiership and the board can sell them and recoop the outlay for all 4.

What is clear, is that you will no longer pick up players of the above quality for 2-3 million - When a league 2 journeyman costs £1million +.

Basically events are overtaking us and we are getting out of our depth in the cash sodden Prem. The fact that the arabs have bought the square root of FA at Man City for twice the money that they could have bought BRFC ground, players and all means that we in our present state are a dead duck for investors. Credit to the club but we have quite simply punched above our weight for long enough and cannot be expected to continue indefinitely.

The situation is surreal. The country is by all accounts descending into a deep recession / depression, people will lose their jobs, houses etc schoolleavers will lose their futures yet Prem football is defying gravity by somehow blithely sailing in the exact opposite direction.

For once I agree wholeheartedly with Gordon the Golfer.

:)

Basically events are overtaking us and we are getting out of our depth in the cash sodden Prem. The fact that the arabs have bought the square root of FA at Man City for twice the money that they could have bought BRFC ground, players and all means that we in our present state are a dead duck for investors. Credit to the club but we have quite simply punched above our weight for long enough and cannot be expected to continue indefinitely.

The situation is surreal. The country is by all accounts descending into a deep recession / depression, people will lose their jobs, houses etc schoolleavers will lose their futures yet Prem football is defying gravity by somehow blithely sailing in the exact opposite direction.

I agree with this too. Is the future of football going to be billion pound owners watching their teams play in half-empty stadiums, paying for hugely expensive players who are getting paid ridiculous amounts of money in front of the few people left who can afford the inevitable season ticket price rise that will happen? There may end up being a group of Premiership teams who will have lots and lots of money and the rest who, like us, survive on a relative shoestring. There will be more of a divide than there is now. I can't see that lasting for too long.

maybe its just me;

But I am at a loss how people think that 'sitting and waiting' for good players is going to improve us in the transfer market. Do you think the prices are going to suddenly come down? They didn't last January, they won't next January or summer. We've just witnessed a potential bubble burst at City - what happened, some other billionaires role in to town and prices jump up again. The same will happen at Newcastle - Ashley will go, someone else come in and they'll start throwing millions at it in another 12-18 months.

The top 7-8 teams will consistently push market prices up. You need to realise that to get a 'good' established player will cost upwards of 6-7 million, so will talented youngsters like Kightley. They won't suddenly half the asking price because BRFC have been prudent and waited 6 months. If you get the right one, they will double/treble in value within a year. To remain competitive we need to be adding 2 of these players a year. By all means bring through the youth and pan the squad out with budget and free transfers - and yes, we may uncover the odd gem doing this.

A prime example of Rovers lack of foresight and the development of the transfer market forces is Lassana Diarra. Last January he was offered around £6million. A 22 year old International who had single handedly destroyed Rovers a couple of weeks previously. Rovers wanted (and still do IMO) a quality ball winning box to box midfielder. Too expensive was the cry from the board - we can't compete in that price bracket. Most fans agreed - good player, but too expensive. In six months his perceived value has now doubled.

Would the board have sanctioned £6million for him if he was available at that price this summer? With hindsight, would you have signed him?

We have missed the boat with Farfan, Dos Santos, Kompany, Kightley and no doubt more all of whom would significantly improve our first 11 and could have been bought for between £5- 7 million. Can you see any of these players moving for less than £10 million in January, or next summer? If any have a good season you will be looking at £15million +

The point I am trying to make is that the players were out there, we had the money (allegedly) but need to change our transfer policy drastically. No we can't realistically compete with the Big clubs and the Robinho deals, but if we want to remain in the middle tier we need to invest accordingly. I can see no financial reason why we can't bring in say 2 of the players above each year.

You only need 1 out of 4 players of the above calibre to have a good season (must have about a 80% chance of one) in the Pemiership and the board can sell them and recoop the outlay for all 4.

What is clear, is that you will no longer pick up players of the above quality for 2-3 million - When a league 2 journeyman costs £1million +.

Great post.

If we wanted to remain in the Premiership we had to pay Premiership prices. The fact that we have NO right winger upsets the whole balance of the team. We will play a full back at right wing and our best centre half at full back meaning we play our second best centre half.

A decent fee now would have righted that situation but no the tight arse trustees would rather us be relegated than pay to keep us up and make no mistake we are relegation fodder now. Short termism in the extreme. What will the club be worth playing against the Dingles?

January will probably be too late.

This situation is disgraceful and totally unacceptable to the paying public. I have unfortunately bought my season ticket in good faith. It will be my last!

Whinging about billionaires buying clubs is useless. We started the whole thing so complaining now because others are doing it is ludicrous.

Totally disgusted.

If we wanted to remain in the Premiership we had to pay Premiership prices. The fact that we have NO right winger upsets the whole balance of the team. We will play a full back at right wing and our best centre half at full back meaning we play our second best centre half.

A decent fee now would have righted that situation but no the tight arse trustees would rather us be relegated than pay to keep us up and make no mistake we are relegation fodder now. Short termism in the extreme. What will the club be worth playing against the Dingles?

January will probably be too late.

This situation is disgraceful and totally unacceptable to the paying public. I have unfortunately bought my season ticket in good faith. It will be my last!

Whinging about billionaires buying clubs is useless. We started the whole thing so complaining now because others are doing it is ludicrous.

Totally disgusted.

Totally defeatist.

The paying public at Rovers should be thankful the board did not go out and waste £6 million on the likes of Jermain Pennant, whatever the balance of the team. Why throw good money after bad rubbish just for the sake of it?

I do find the level of optimism from some here frustrating.. what do we have to offer at the moment.. I have a feeling RSC and Dunn are going to be in for injury plagued seasons.. RSC has been injured twice in 6 games (including pre-season) and Dunn is injured again..

Ince tactically likes to play an exciting attacking football, but atm we dont have the players.. trying to play that way will be suicide for this club.

Someone mentioned we did not have the money to buy players.. then we should be asking at least what happened to the Trust money (3m), the money from sales (12m). placement money, wage savings and the TV money..

Humerously so far we have played all three of the lowest spending clubs in the league, how many people here believe given the squad we have we would have a hope in hell against our much strengthened rivals.. Villa? ManCity? Spuds?.. even Middlesbrough and co are looking stronger that us atm.

I am now hoping for 15th, this drop in positions would be worth a loss of 3.5-4m to us.. TV money loss as well would be worth 4-5m.. so all in all we are looking like we have lost the money for a top right winger already.

I can't really see any positives this transfer window bar Carlos, but a hell of allot is being placed on a young lads shoulders and we don't really have the players to back him up.

We made the same mistake in the last transfer window as well and it probably cost us a European place.

No one can deny:

We have no right wing

Limited creativity in the center

A dodgy defense

massive reliance on a couple of individuals

A host of weak midfielders who may not get games

No decent backup for our main striker

We have very limited pace throughout the team

Will the likes of Warnock and RSC stay given our lack of ambition?

For those who say at least we did not spend over the odds on a player.. whats all that about those players suddenly going to get cheaper in january, is the loss in revenue going to be worth it?

For those who say give Ince a chance, sure I am willing to do that, but he will have to play a team in a way thats not his style.. can he manage that given his level of experience? He might of been able to get away with it in League 2 but with most teams adding more strength to their squads I dont think the EPL is the place to try that.

For those who say whats wrong with playing in the championship.. well ok nothing wrong with us playing there, but is that what you want to settle for when we obviously had the chance to do allot more?

Sorry to sound so pessimistic.. but I can hardly see us surviving given the ambition we have shown, and who will want to take over a bottom half club anyway so thats probably out of the window as well.

As for JW saying we lost out on our main target at 10pm.. great thats fine.. where was the backup option?

Disappointed, but by no means as upset as some on here.

There's no doubt that selling Bentley and not replacing him has made us a weaker team. My main concern is how we are going to create chances for RSC to put away. It wouldn't surprise me to see a change in formation, with Dunn or Villaneuva played just behind RSC and a more central midfield formation used instead of wingers, which would make sense given the new signings.

It would be a concerning for me if we have to rely on MGP, Emerton and Reid in a 442 set up. Any injuries there and we're in even more trouble. Yes, they're capable of doing a job, but are they good enough to regularly make a positive difference until January? I'm not sure myself, previous performances over time don't suggest they could do it consistently.

Agree with Al on the whole Emerton, Ooijer, Samba shuffle, though. Hard to point the finger at Robinson, when he's getting very little help from his back 4. If we're going to sacrifice attacking flair, we need to start getting harder to beat, not inviting chances left, right and centre.

Hughes, for all the crap football last season, managed to get the team to get results the team didn't deserve.

Thats a bit like saying we didn't deserve to win the Prem in 95. The old saying that the table never lies still holds good. Saying that however and going against the above ancient wisdom I feel that we did enjoy the 'rub of the green' rather more than we are used to imo. Disallowed goals at Chelsea and home to Everton, a travesty of a result v Boro as well as a few fortunate goals against the run of play (Mags, Citeh, Arse at home and to a lesser extent Bolton) did appear to work in our favour.... for once. I now know how it must feel to support the Arsenal.

Humerously so far we have played all three of the lowest spending clubs in the league, how many people here believe given the squad we have we would have a hope in hell against our much strengthened rivals.. Villa? ManCity? Spuds?.. even Middlesbrough and co are looking stronger that us atm.

It's not that funny Veevs.

btw don't knock Boro though, imo (albeit from a distance) Southgates doing a fine job. Still only early days still but he is looking like a top manager of the future and poss even a candidate for the national job.

exactly.

The Premiership is for rich clubs and rich clubs only. Those who aren't rich live a measly existence at the bottom. I'd much rather watch games every week where anything can happen instead of scraping for 16-th-15th place.

Does anyone seriously believe that Blackburn Rovers could survive financially outside of the Premier League? We are struggling as it is and that's with the Television money. If the club was to slip outside of the top flight there would be a huge fire sale. We couldn't afford the upkeep of Ewood Park, the Senior Training Centre and the Academy without the TV money and Premiership football. Attendances would drop to below the 10,000 mark and the better players would be gone.

Like it or not, Premier League football is essential for the club and if that means several seasons of flirting with relegation and finishing fourth from bottom so be it. The alternative is certain administration and progressive relegations.

Success is Premiership survival for in footballing terms we now rank amongst the minnows. As long as we survive in the top flight that is an achievement in itself. Those of us who have seen the club at the bottom of the Third Division in the past know that the top division is the place to be no matter how difficult it is to survive there.

If there has been a failing during the transfer window, it is with shipping people out. We now have too many central midfielders. IF it is true that Stoke were offering for Mokoena, it was a major error not to have sold. I'm not sure that his stock will ever be higher - with Grella here, he won't get a game.

Mokoena was badly missed at West Ham as Grella was way off the pace. I remain to be convinced that Grella is going to be an improvement on Aaron. Indeed, I feel we might well have done better on Saturday with Aaron in the holding role rather than a player who was new to the Premier League and so obviously lacking in basic fitness. On Saturday Grella made Aaron look like a class act!

It looks like we are going to hope that the talented Judge can make the step up to play on the right wing if we are going to play a 4-4-2. He has shown a great deal of promise so far, but you have to fear that maybe its too soon for him to play week in week out in the prem. Emerton is far better as a right back and Reid should be played in the centre allowing him to make those powerful runs that he used to do.

We were murdered down our right flank against West Ham, Etherington ripped us apart time after time.

I'd look to change our formation until at least January, playing a 4-5-1, 4-1-3-2, 4-1-3-1-1 or another variant which should solidify our defense allowing Robinson to get some confidence back. And we should look to fit in Villanueva and or Dunn to provide creativity centrally for Roque.

I fear though that we will stick with the 4-4-2 as Roberts is pretty much undroppable at the moment, what with his workrate and his goalscoring form. I can see major problems if we rely on Emerton and Pedersen to provide the main creativity to Roque.

It's not that funny Veevs.

btw don't knock Boro though, imo (albeit from a distance) Southgates doing a fine job. Still only early days still but he is looking like a top manager of the future and poss even a candidate for the national job.

Hey not knocking Boro.. I reckon they are in for one decent season.. given a combination of the youngsters, not loosing their best players and some nifty signings I reckon they are most likely going to nick our position from last season :( Was just saying that compaired to last season when we had the stronger team this season they are way ahead of us.

Anyone know what happened to our youth policy, Treacy and Judge seem to be the only couple of lads coming through atm.. seems a bit different from the beginnings of our youth academy?

God Damn people get a grip, seriously talk about throwing your toys ouuta the pram.

I'm fine with the squad we have, yes I would have liked a injection of pace but hey when I was a kid I wanted an Omibot for Christmas, I got Lego, I still enjoyed Christmas. We can still enjoy a decent season.

Everyone spouting about how we have this to spend and that to spend really needs a reality check.

We owe 21M pounds

In 2007 our wages where at 85% of revenue (this is considered breaking point in football)

Ince and JW hoped to convince Bentley to stay, you do not convince a player he is wanted by scouting his replacement, he will find out.

I'm going to use pennant as an example,

1 he does not float everyones boat

2 5M pound transfer fee

3 50K a week he will want at least 3 years probably 4. 3yrs = 7.8M 4yrs = 10.4M

So hands up who thinks we should throw between 12.8M and 15.4M pounds on pennant or any one else for that matter of similar standard. Oh what am I doing he's going to want a signing on fee as well say another 1M.

Now lets consider something else, how many of our players are on 50K, I'm gonna guess 1 RSC. So how many of our players do you think are going to say hang on if JP's on 50K I want more. One or two would be pretty ###### off IMO.

We have the smallest crowds in the premier league, but yet year in year out we do well. This has happened because JW has kept a tight rein perilously balancing the club just on the edge (85% wages prove this).

We have signed some reasonable players, in fact 7 players. We have a stronger squad, yes we are missing 1 position in a winger but last year we were missing 2 mid-fielders, is that not a form of progress.

One last point how many of you moaned like this about January last year, why have we no money blah blah. Well guess what this year we do, and still you moan and moan and moan. I've turned on a re-run of eastenders to cheer myself up after reading your posts.

Everyone on here knows our transfer policy right player right deal for us, period.

Does anyone seriously believe that Blackburn Rovers could survive financially outside of the Premier League? We are struggling as it is and that's with the Television money. If the club was to slip outside of the top flight there would be a huge fire sale. We couldn't afford the upkeep of Ewood Park, the Senior Training Centre and the Academy without the TV money and Premiership football. Attendances would drop to below the 10,000 mark and the better players would be gone.

Like it or not, Premier League football is essential for the club and if that means several seasons of flirting with relegation and finishing fourth from bottom so be it. The alternative is certain administration and progressive relegations.

Success is Premiership survival for in footballing terms we now rank amongst the minnows. As long as we survive in the top flight that is an achievement in itself. Those of us who have seen the club at the bottom of the Third Division in the past know that the top division is the place to be no matter how difficult it is to survive there.

To be honest, right now I don't care. Hopefully the bubble will burst before we get relegated, TV money dies up and a few clubs go bust. Right now, football is so utterly disgusting I am not bothered which club, how many people lose their jobs and so on. I wish we could survive this, but if we don't so be it. A new Blackburn team could emerge a la AFC Wimbledon.

It looks like we are going to hope that the talented Judge can make the step up to play on the right wing if we are going to play a 4-4-2. He has shown a great deal of promise so far, but you have to fear that maybe its too soon for him to play week in week out in the prem. Emerton is far better as a right back and Reid should be played in the centre allowing him to make those powerful runs that he used to do.

We were murdered down our right flank against West Ham, Etherington ripped us apart time after time.

I'd look to change our formation until at least January, playing a 4-5-1, 4-1-3-2, 4-1-3-1-1 or another variant which should solidify our defense allowing Robinson to get some confidence back. And we should look to fit in Villanueva and or Dunn to provide creativity centrally for Roque.

I fear though that we will stick with the 4-4-2 as Roberts is pretty much undroppable at the moment, what with his workrate and his goalscoring form. I can see major problems if we rely on Emerton and Pedersen to provide the main creativity to Roque.

Personally I would be tempted by a couple of new formations rather than trying to fit a square peg in a round hole (judge is more central, Emerton et al are not right wingers).. this was mentioned by another lad on the right wing thread and I kind of agree with him

5 3 2

Emerton (or Simpson) - Ooijer Nelson Samba (or Zuru) - Warnock

Grella - Axe (or Emerton if Simpson RB or Vogel or Tugay)

Dunn (or Carlos)

Roberts RSC

or 4 2 3 1..

Emerton (or Simpson) - Nelson Samba (or Zuru or Ooijer) - Warnock

Dunn Carlos MGP

Roberts RSC

or 4 2 3 1..

Emerton (or Simpson) - Nelson Samba (or Zuru or Ooijer) - Warnock

Dunn Carlos MGP

Roberts RSC

we're playing 12 now?

Archived