BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Judge, Simpson, Dunn, Pedersen And Emerton

You forgot Treacy! He's got two good feet and I think he's even played right winger for the reserves several times. Can anybody confirm this?

Treacy is never happy when on the right. I have watched him on a few occasions in that position and he has never looked interested. A different player when he is back on the left. The right wing would not be an option for him.

There is another option 3-5-2

Oujer.............Nelson/Samba..........zurab

Emerton........................Grella.............................................Warnock

Dunn...............................Villanueva

roberts................................Santa Cruz

Forgive my spellings ....it is rather rushed but deploying emerton and Warnock as wing back may provide a solution where players in slightly better positions

I think the only option for Rovers this season is playing down the middle. However, by doing that it would mean our best player is not effective. Ince need to introduce Villanueva quick. We lack that creativity on the pitch without him. Dunn is'nt fit enough so we can't rely on him. If we play a 4-5-1 this season hopefully we should be ok. With our midfield being Emerton on the right Wing with Grella as the holding midfielder. Pedersen out on the left wing and Dunn in the centre. Villanueva playing in front of the midfield 4 and Santa Cruz up top on his own.

I may get a lot of stick for this but I hope Ince chooses to go with Roberts up front VS Arsenal. Simply because of the type of opposition we are playing. RSC will not be fully fit therefore won't be as effective ala the Hull game. We are scoring plenty of goals, but our defence needs to get there act together and start woking as a unit.

It may seem a little narrow, and we are lacking a Kaka, but if our full backs are up to bombing up and down for 90 minutes it may work.

That's a bit of an understatement, mate. :D

Mokoena is the closest to 'cacka' we've got.

Whoa there Nelly.

Whilst we're all let down by the non-appearance of a right winger, patience & sense shouldn't be overlooked here. Clearly, Ince rates Judgey massively - though it's not right to throw him into there right away as he'd get crucified. Not by other players, by Rovers 'fans'.

Look at Treacy - the lad's had his own demons to face, but Ince is finally brave enough to give him the opportunity in pre-season and he's looking ace for it, with a couple of Prem sub appearances to boot. He started off a left winger, though the Irish tried to turn him more central, and like Parson says he's not as effective on the right. Why play him out of position - he can cross well, consistently, far better than Pedersen, and with a graded phase into the team (as Ince his doing) he will gradually push Peds for his place.

Judgey really is the 'goldenballs' of the Academy at the mo; he had a stupendous second half of last season and is just riding the wave - and it's all down to Ince. He starred for reserves last season and scored goals for fun, and with the engine and talent he has, he's sure to be a vital squad member this season. When MH was here, Judgey wasn't certain of anything, and was probably wondering what this season held for him. Ince comes in, and one of his first moves was to approach Judgey and tell him he was going on pre-season. In that time, he's had some games and done well in them all - if anything, playing with Reid at Wolves hampered his style. However, one thing he is not is an out-and-out winger; he can cross well and shoot, but it's vital with young lads to manage them closer than the seniors.

Look what happened with Treacy - MH threw him in for the Cov game, he wasn't the worst player by any stretch, but still an element of fans moaned at him. No player welcomes that, but the downside to shouting for Judgey is we need to 'judge' him by his own standards, not Bentleys, if he does get his chance. As much as Incey rates him, they still went for someone else, so let's bear that in mind please.

Expect him to have a few more subs appearances and then to get a chance of a start in a couple of months I reckon. He won't let anyone down I'm sure, he's got all the attributes for the fans to appreciate him - great engine, tough tackler, good footballing brain, committed, level-headed and strong as an ox.

4-4-1-1

----------------Santa Cruz-------------

-----------------Villanueva-------------

Pedersen----Grella----Andrews----Dunn

Warnock----Nelsen----Ooijer-----Emerton

-----------------Robinson--------------------

Subs: Brown, Simpson, Samba, Vogel/Reid, Treacy, Derbyshire, Roberts/McCarthy

If Dunny can play wide left I'm sure he can play wide right. Think we have to play Grella/Vogel & by all acounts Andrews was impressive saturday.

OK let's have a go, makes a refreshing change from all the doom and gloom

Robinson

Emerton ............ Ooijer ......... Nelson ........... Warnock

............................Grella/Vogel/Mok

............... Andrews/Reid....................Dunn

.......Santa Cruz..................................Vilanova/Peds

...............................our Jase

Can be 4-3-3 or a more defensive 4-5-1 (as seen against ManUre last season). Why play 4-4-2 if you don't have the players to do it?

There is another option 3-5-2

Oujer.............Nelson/Samba..........zurab

Emerton........................Grella.............................................Warnock

Dunn...............................Villanueva

roberts................................Santa Cruz

Forgive my spellings ....it is rather rushed but deploying emerton and Warnock as wing back may provide a solution where players in slightly better positions

That's what I was going to suggest. Emerton did well as a wing back in Holland, from all reports. Plus, 3-5-2 worked really well for Pompey this week.

Whoa there Nelly.

Whilst we're all let down by the non-appearance of a right winger, patience & sense shouldn't be overlooked here. Clearly, Ince rates Judgey massively - though it's not right to throw him into there right away as he'd get crucified. Not by other players, by Rovers 'fans'.

Look at Treacy - the lad's had his own demons to face, but Ince is finally brave enough to give him the opportunity in pre-season and he's looking ace for it, with a couple of Prem sub appearances to boot. He started off a left winger, though the Irish tried to turn him more central, and like Parson says he's not as effective on the right. Why play him out of position - he can cross well, consistently, far better than Pedersen, and with a graded phase into the team (as Ince his doing) he will gradually push Peds for his place.

Judgey really is the 'goldenballs' of the Academy at the mo; he had a stupendous second half of last season and is just riding the wave - and it's all down to Ince. He starred for reserves last season and scored goals for fun, and with the engine and talent he has, he's sure to be a vital squad member this season. When MH was here, Judgey wasn't certain of anything, and was probably wondering what this season held for him. Ince comes in, and one of his first moves was to approach Judgey and tell him he was going on pre-season. In that time, he's had some games and done well in them all - if anything, playing with Reid at Wolves hampered his style. However, one thing he is not is an out-and-out winger; he can cross well and shoot, but it's vital with young lads to manage them closer than the seniors.

Look what happened with Treacy - MH threw him in for the Cov game, he wasn't the worst player by any stretch, but still an element of fans moaned at him. No player welcomes that, but the downside to shouting for Judgey is we need to 'judge' him by his own standards, not Bentleys, if he does get his chance. As much as Incey rates him, they still went for someone else, so let's bear that in mind please.

Expect him to have a few more subs appearances and then to get a chance of a start in a couple of months I reckon. He won't let anyone down I'm sure, he's got all the attributes for the fans to appreciate him - great engine, tough tackler, good footballing brain, committed, level-headed and strong as an ox.

I'm encouraged by what you say about Judge DB, but do you not think he's far too small to make an impact at senior level? If Ince can turn him into Bentley's replacement for nothing he deserves the freedom of Blackburn. (Not that anyone would want it. :P )

Re: Treacy, hats off to the lad, I didn't think he looked like a viable prospect at all a few months ago v Coventry in the Cup but he has improved beyond recognition from that display this season and we looked far more threatning on Saturday when he came on for MGP I thought.

It was interesting to hear Treacy interviewed on Radio Rovers before the Hull game and say that he didn't feel he was part of Mark Hughes plans but felt very much a part of the set up under Paul Ince. I'm starting to think that it was that part of Paul Ince's sale pitch that might have landed him the Ewood hot seat.

And very welcome it is after Hughes and Souness who neglected that area. Hope it isn't totally at the expense of spending selectively on a bit of quality as well though.

I'm encouraged by what you say about Judge DB, but do you not think he's far too small to make an impact at senior level? If Ince can turn him into Bentley's replacement for nothing he deserves the freedom of Blackburn. (Not that anyone would want it. :P )

Re: Treacy, hats off to the lad, I didn't think he looked like a viable prospect at all a few months ago v Coventry in the Cup but he has improved beyond recognition from that display this season and we looked far more threatning on Saturday when he came on for MGP I thought.

It was interesting to hear Treacy interviewed on Radio Rovers before the Hull game and say that he didn't feel he was part of Mark Hughes plans but felt very much a part of the set up under Paul Ince. I'm starting to think that it was that part of Paul Ince's sale pitch that might have landed him the Ewood hot seat.

And very welcome it is after Hughes and Souness who neglected that area. Hope it isn't totally at the expense of spending selectively on a bit of quality as well though.

Think they must do heaps of upper-body stuff at t'Academy, look at Doran in particular and he's grown a lot in last year; whilst both he, Judge & Treacy have all broad shoulders. Must be the potato cakes hey?

Personally, I don't buy all this physique guff. Two of the most talented English players we've had in last 20 years have not exactly been slender, and there's a worrying predilection at youth level towards height & physique at expense of technique in our game. Judgey's relatively short as you say, but I'd like to think he makes up for it in other ways. Villanueva's only 5-6 and looks like a wet greyhound physique wise, but he don't seem to suffer for it.

Look back on the druggy cheating Argie back in Mexico 86, not exactly a basketball player was he? Though in one game he thought he was ;)

No, as you may tell, I don't think Judgey's far too small. His all round game makes up for it. However, he's not a winger nor should be be expected to have an immediate first-team spot. He certainly won't be Bentley's replacement in terms of quality, not as a wide player at least, but he will always be energetic, active, and committed. He was the goldenballs of the reserves last season, storming second half of season, scoring for fun (he was moved upfront a lot) as well of plenty assists. If I had to say which first team player he's most likely to shadow/stand-in, it would be Dunny.

Treacy's been on the cards for 3 years now, at last showing some consistency to match his promise. Hughes always rated him although the Cov game didn't portray him in a good light (despite others being much worse, Rovers fans tend to be over-keen to criticise new players), this added to a few injuries and erm, other things, probably meant he wasn't going to see much action under MH. Kudos to Ince for spotting this, as you say.

It's a shame, because with our four million central midfielders, Judge won't get a look in for a very long time.

Not sure about that; Ince clearly rates him and IMO he could replace Reid now right away. Think it's likely Ince will get Emo the chance for that spot with Judge as an understudy. If Dunny was injured, would be interesting he'd step in - Judge or Reid, or someone else? It all depends who's uppermost in Ince's mind for the RW spot, which may prove to be Judgey's best chance of a run - given the glut of centre mids as you mention.

I'd say Judgey's main attribute is his keenness & energy - he's always running about like a Tasmanian devil :lol: Still think it will be a graded intro into the first team for him, few subs runs and hopefully overtaking Reid in the pecking order.

Agree with everything you say on Judge -as I have said before - I think we have an unpolished gem there.

As for Treacy - I didn't see the Coventry game last year - but I haven't been convinced previously -hope he does prove to have the potential he appears to show to alot of people.

Not sure about that; Ince clearly rates him and IMO he could replace Reid now right away. Think it's likely Ince will get Emo the chance for that spot with Judge as an understudy. If Dunny was injured, would be interesting he'd step in - Judge or Reid, or someone else? It all depends who's uppermost in Ince's mind for the RW spot, which may prove to be Judgey's best chance of a run - given the glut of centre mids as you mention.

I'd say Judgey's main attribute is his keenness & energy - he's always running about like a Tasmanian devil :lol: Still think it will be a graded intro into the first team for him, few subs runs and hopefully overtaking Reid in the pecking order.

Hmm. I think the current attacking midfielder pecking order is something like:

Dunn

Andrews

Carlos (if we play a 451)

Emerton (if he is not at RB/RW)

Reid (maybe at the bottom after his Hammers performance...)

Judge?

But we will only use one of them in a 442 or two in a 451 as they will always be paired with a defensive midfielder where the pecking order must look something like:

Grella

Mokoena

Vogel?

We have no right wingers really so Judge's chance is going to come there.

My personal choice is Emerton. He did well in that position with other club, Can't see why he can't do the same for us. He is fast and quick, Plus he do able to knock goal in (How I wish he did that for us for west ham. Damn!) For me, I rather stick with him then going out to buy some other sub standard wing. If we buying someone, make sure is better than him, if not, might as well don't buy.

Well it's not really a great choice in terms of right midfielders - in fact without a doubt it is a gaping hole in the side. Anyone who does play there generally pulls players from other positions where they are better suited, leaving gaps in those positions as well.

For example if Emerton plays there - we're left with either the fairly inexperienced and unknown quantity of Simpson or the solid but paceless Ooijer at right back. If we place Dunn on the right mid slot, the centre mid looks a lot less creative.

For me it has to be either Dunn or Emerton, type of game depending. Generally I'd play Dunn there with Emerton overlapping, which relieves Dunn of the defensive duties that he's not as good at, strengthens the right back position immesurably and with Emerton overlapping does give us a fair bit of width and attacking punch on the right. Also Dunn played ok/well when playing left mid last season, and in his first spell at the club played a few games at right mid where he did ok, so it's not new to him.

Any other possibility would not be up to Premiership standard in that position. I'm still really annoyed with Ince for not getting a right mid in. He knew Bentley was off, he had the time to get a couple of candidates ready and the money was available, and anyone can see it's a gaping hole in the squad. Ok Pennant being greedy wanting to stay at pool wasn't Ince's fault but even so he should have had a couple of options and been able to cope with the odd setback in the hunt for a right mid.

Archived