BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tiger Woods Pga Tour 09

I played the demo (you can download it on PS3 or 360) and thought that the PS2 one was better however, I know nothing about golf really and my mates that do who have actually bought the game say its ace.

Suggest you download it and make your own mind up

Has anyone played or made a purchase of this game yet? I am trying to look up reviews in work but websense has them blocked! :(

I've bought it for the PS3 after playing the demo. Hadn't bought a Tiger Woods game since about 06 because like many games these days they just seemed to turn into updates rather than a new game.

This one seems to have a fair amount of new features though and seems a little more realistic. I've been enjoying it so far, don't know how much lasting appeal it will have but online mode seems pretty good. They have this new simultaneous mode so you don't have to wait for them to take their shot, or the 3 other people to take there's if you are playing with more, in stead you just play your own shots and see there shots on your screen being shown as coloured lines.

Much quicker, good laugh so far.

For those that have this I have a question about the game face - do you need the eye toy to do it? Just wondering if you cant just take your picture and upload it to the ps3/360 and import it from there.

I have seen some clips on youtube of people doing this and it does look to come out ok (rather than the rubbish way they did it on PES) Wonder why they dont use it on fifa?

Bought this game on the 360 on a rainy Saturday afternoon as there was no footy on. I haven't played Tiger since 2006 so I thought I'd give it a try see how it's developed - plus Blockbuster we're giving away three free golf balls with every purchase so I thought hey ho why not - I don't play golf but free is free right? ;)

First of all, Cocker – yes you can upload your photos and you don’t need EyeToy/Xbox Webcam to do it. I only speak for the 360 version but I guess the PS3 will be the same. You can simply upload your digital photos (a front view and a side view) to the Ea website and then download it to the console from there. That leads me on to the first point of the golfer creation – it’s superb – you can modify every conceivable detail of your golfers appearance right down to the pitch of his voice. All in all sound.

I don’t know about you lot but on the previous games after a bit of practice I found that if I could reach the green I could generally put the ball pretty much where I wanted it on standard skill level. They’ve upped the difficulty a bit so it’s more challenging and the addition of the “real time swing analysis” is a welcome bonus. Another good new feature is way you build up your golfer stats throughout the career mode. In previous games you could allocate skill points to various parts of your game – this time round, however, your golfer becomes better as YOU become better which is a brilliant idea. In other words, if you have a round where you’ve sunk some complex putts, your putting stats will go up accordingly. Conversely, if your short game sucks, your stats won’t go up.

Graphics: Graphics are worthy of next gen but I think everybody knew that – water effects are particularly good but for me don’t yet have the “wow” factor.

Sound: Commentary is as annoying as ever, however the saving grace is you can turn this off and play the soundtrack which is absolutely superb – best of the series and one of the best in any game imo.

Online play: Not had a lot of time online but first impressions are good - Pretty much lag free. Even in solo career mode the game connects to the servers and presents you with shots (represented by markers on the course) that other players have done so it’s always a challenge to try and better them. Also you can now play four players online simultaneously so you don’t have to wait for other players to make their shot – you can see what there doing as there balls are represented by different coloured trails.

So there you have it – verdict: If you like the Tiger Woods games you won’t be disappointed – it’s the usual EA games stuff – the idea remains the same but it’s been tweaked and improved to make it better. Is it worth 40 quid if you already have 08? Well I haven’t played Tiger Woods 08 before so I’m probably not the best person to comment but what I do know is you have the best golf game around by a country mile, packed choc full with features/game modes (which is one of my main criteria for a good game) and a solid game all round with a good learning curve. Don't expect anything that will take your breath away though but lets face it, you'll buy it when the Ryder cup starts anyway.... 8/10

Sounds very similar to 08, which I got and played only a limited time. That also had the create your own player via pictures etc.

Dont think il buy this as Fifa 09 is out in only 3 weeks and that will no doubt get my attention over any other game. May try it on a rental from Blockbuster though.

For a few years I bought Tiger Woods each year, then I realised that I was wasting my money. Very little changes from year to year, including the golfers you can play with. I mainly buy new sports games for the improved graphics and updated teams, it's rare that I ever really like a new feature (be a pro mode in fifa last year being a welcome change), so I can't see how anyone but an avid golf fan or someone who doesn't already own one of the previous games would really want to buy this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived