BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stand Up Sit Down

• 2 weeks later...
I would love to see the return of safe standing areas at PL/FL grounds, I'm sure it would improve the atmosphere at games and might bring a few cheaper tickets (as it has in Germany).

If this country had fans who could behave and hold their drink, we'd still have terraces and no fences!

I would love to see the return of safe standing areas at PL/FL grounds, I'm sure it would improve the atmosphere at games and might bring a few cheaper tickets (as it has in Germany).

It will never happen as PL clubs wont want 2 reduce prices for standing areas!!! The premiums for any insurance policies would increase with having standing areas 2 & PL clubs wont fork out any extra cash.

So it would be a remote possibility it would ever happen unfortunately even though it would improve the atmosphere vastly.

If this country had fans who could behave and hold their drink, we'd still have terraces and no fences!

I don't believe that, Germany has far more 'hooligan problems' with the old eastern team yet still allows standing, and many of the German supporters groups have mottos and songs related to drinking so much that they are sick, big sponsorship deals with local breweries etc. Equally one of the clubs in England with the worst rep - Millwall - are allowed on terraces up and down the country. If I am not mistaken it was the Bradford fire (cigarettes on wood) and Hillsborough (Police mishandling), coupled with falling attendances which really created a need for change, not fighting and drinking.

I think its clear to most people that the Tory government of the time asked big business for help with the restructuring of football after Hillsborough and the all-seater beer free Premier League was the model that they suggested they would be most interested in working with, in fact I am fairly sure this was alluded to at the time.

The difference in Germany lies in the fact that when the German game hit attendance troubles the government didn't ask companies like Mcdonalds and Samsung what they needed to do to gain sponsorship and advertisement cash for development, they asked the breweries, who said they'd prefer a larger number of working class people to advertise to than a small number of middle class people, hence cheaper tickets and standing areas.

I don't believe that, Germany has far more 'hooligan problems' with the old eastern team yet still allows standing, and many of the German supporters groups have mottos and songs related to drinking so much that they are sick, big sponsorship deals with local breweries etc. Equally one of the clubs in England with the worst rep - Millwall - are allowed on terraces up and down the country. If I am not mistaken it was the Bradford fire (cigarettes on wood) and Hillsborough (Police mishandling), coupled with falling attendances which really created a need for change, not fighting and drinking.

I think its clear to most people that the Tory government of the time asked big business for help with the restructuring of football after Hillsborough and the all-seater beer free Premier League was the model that they suggested they would be most interested in working with, in fact I am fairly sure this was alluded to at the time.

The difference in Germany lies in the fact that when the German game hit attendance troubles the government didn't ask companies like Mcdonalds and Samsung what they needed to do to gain sponsorship and advertisement cash for development, they asked the breweries, who said they'd prefer a larger number of working class people to advertise to than a small number of middle class people, hence cheaper tickets and standing areas.

Hmmm… You’re argument kind of falls down with the class argument and your ascertain that more working class Germans watch the game than the working class English counterparts.

If that is correct then why are English league attendances generally higher than in Germany? Even with an extra 30 million potential fans.

Hmmm… You’re argument kind of falls down with the class argument and your ascertain that more working class Germans watch the game than the working class English counterparts.

If that is correct then why are English league attendances generally higher than in Germany? Even with an extra 30 million potential fans.

A few reasons:

I would suggest as a percentage of the ground filled German gates are higher, plus last year there was a fair few 'big' teams out of the top division - Koln, Gladbach and 1860 will have all averaged 35k+ last season in BL2.

Interestingly the teams with smaller attendances also tend to be those that are traditionally 'company' teams - your Bayer Leverkusens and Wolfsburgs and the like. There'll also be a big anomally this year as a village side has 'done a 'Gretna'.

Its also worth remembering that its only been since a year or so before the World Cup that many of the grounds were big enough to compete with the UK grounds, and that the extra 30 million potential fans counts for very little in a country thats probably three times the size of England.

Archived