BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Alan Curbishley Is First Manager To Leave

colbert

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dam it. Thats my Keegan first manager to go bet gone then ;)

Curbs must have had quite a few quid scattered about on himself to be the first manager to go when KK's sudden tantrum forced his hand. :)

Hmmm....... So now West Ham looking for a manager eh? I wonder...... ;)

It'll be very interesting to see who they get, they're picking from pretty much the same managerial pool as we were. I don't think they'll be a very attractive proposition at the moment, they seem to be struggling for money and are still trying to downsize the squad.

If they get Bilic I'll be gutted though.

So what's Curbs' legacy?

Accumulating a bloated squad of hugely expensive 'stars' with little appetite for forming a winning team.

I was consoling myself after the West Ham defeat that at least, in defeat, we had perpetuated the dubious reign of Curbishley. The stories of Captain Neill clashing with Curbs brought solace to my pains.

Unfortunately, it now turns out that West Ham got the best of both worlds. A thumping victory and Curbs jettisoned. What could be better than that? After the initial hype that surrounded Curbs at Charlton it has become patently clear that he is a mediocre Premier League manager. He could possibly do a good job in the CHampionship but in the top league he is too cautious, charisma-deficient, dogmatic, with suspect judgement, to be the real deal.

How are they struggling for cash, i thought the guy that took over was loaded?

He might be, but he doesn't want to put any of it in to West Ham at the moment. Our trustees are loaded, doesn't mean we see any of it does it?

They're selling players all over the place without the manager's consent to reduce the wage bill and bring in money, that's why Curbishley has gone. They even paid Ljungberg millions to end his contract early to get him off the wage bill.

How are they struggling for cash, i thought the guy that took over was loaded?

The Icelandic guys that took over had some cash but the state of their country/business affairs has resulted in a lack of funds. From what i can gather, Iceland's inflation and their economy is in the **** and inflation is around 15%. Cant help!

Billic, says he is staying put until end of WC 2010.

One ex player(or agent) who has thrown is name into the hat is Di Canio.

Curbs, always seemed to me to be one of our better English managers.

Just goes to show, how the money men think they know more than people who have been in the game 30 years or so.

MON with Learner seems to be the rite balance.

If Only :brfcsmilie:

Billic, says he is staying put until end of WC 2010.

One ex player(or agent) who has thrown is name into the hat is Di Canio.

Curbs, always seemed to me to be one of our better English managers.

Just goes to show, how the money men think they know more than people who have been in the game 30 years or so.

MON with Learner seems to be the rite balance.

If Only :brfcsmilie:

I bet Ince would take the whu job if it was offered him - though the whu fans may not like it much.

Serves him right for beating us, I hope he's learned his lesson.

I heard McCartney went for about £6.5 million and Ferdinand went for £8 million, that is great money for mediocre players, he needs to understand that in a game where money is the most important thing you can't turn down bids like that. You don't get managers these days at a lot of clubs, just coaches, they no longer have a lot of say over the transfer dealings at a club, unfortunately it seems he wasn't ready to move with the times.

Must make Warnock worth about £15 million if you forget his recent performance!

I told you we were screwed, didn't I!!??

Curbishley has been turned over good and proper. Could bore you all to death with what I believe to be the truth but suffice to say our board have treated Curbs terribly.

My money's on Bilic- we would offer him a lot more than he is on and money talks. If not we will get some unknown Italian from an obscure club that will be a yes man to the board. If it was a British manager I'd like Southgate (not that there's any chance of that, but still).

The world's gone mad, I tell ya!

Can't be too often that a manager wins his previous match and still ends up unemployed??

Can we claim any credit for this one?

No, all we can do is be concerned that we lost 4-1 to a team that was clearly troubled and clearly there for the taking!!

Can't be too often that a manager wins his previous match and still ends up unemployed??

Can we claim any credit for this one?

We are certainly a bad omen for managers to leave early in the season.

Sturrock was sacked at Southampton a few years back after beating us in the previous Saturday and that was still August!

I don't rate Curbishley as being in the top tier of managers but he seems like a genuine and straight forward guy and you have to have a lot of sympathy for him.

I really don't understand this continental fetish for appointing a Director of Football who chooses who to buy and sell leaving the manager to do nothing but the coaching. Surely if you employ an experienced footballing man as your "manager" you've got to let him use his judgement as to whether a player is any good and will fit in or not. Not some "suit" who has probably never kicked a ball in anger in his life.***

How can a manager work properly with a player he doesn't rate, or if ones he does rate are sold behind his back?

*** That said, If Rovers need "A Director of Football" I'm waiting by the phone!

:lol:

According to a report in today's Independent (not one of those disgusting right-wing tabloids that gets Colin and Paul Mellelieu's knickers in a twist) , apparently Alan Curbishley had an angry row with Hammers captain Lucas Neill, following their 4-1 win over Rovers.

Neill apparently told Curbishley that "the players have kept you in a job". Charming. What a nice man that Aussie is, on his 70 grand a week wages, keeping a manager in his job.

During the confrontation Lucas told Curbishley that he needed to do more to "inspire" his players.

No surprises that Craig Bellamy was also reportedly involved in an angry exchange as well. That little volatile Welshman could start a fight in an empty room....

Link to the story: Curbishley clashes with Lucas

Archived