BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Will We Ever Finnish In The Top 6 Again?

Ah and there I was thinking it would allow some of the old Eastern European sides in directly but no sadly not. I think I last watched a CL game (excluding the Final) about 5 years ago now. I wonder what Platini will come up with for 2012 onwards when it's been dominated by the Prmeiership sides for another 4 years. Or maybe he just prays for hooliganism to rear its ugly head and they can introduce a ban again.

The idea was that it would because they have increased the automatic qualifying places to 22 teams instead of 16 thereby ensuring that the few teams that would have had to go through the first knock-out stage (pre-group) now go into the group stage automatically.

This is a bit anal but if you take a look at this: - http://www.uefa.com/multimediafiles/downlo...60_download.pdf and at page 44 you can see the current qualification access list. The Premier League is second in the list. The top three is a bit of a winners only club really, the more you win and the more teams from your league get in and win then the more points your league is awarded and the more likely your league is going to stay at the top of the pile hence the desire to have Premier League teams win the Champions League and also get to the runners up spots (2nd, 3rd, 4th etc...). With the amount of money this generates it just means the rich get constantly richer. Just imagine what would have happened if Rovers had won the Champions League back in 96...

In answer to the question of can we get there in the current climate and my answer would have to be unlikely, unless we have a belting run in the league and one of the top 4 (plus moneybags City I suppose) have a bit of a mare. It's possible but unlikely. Uefa Cup slot is slightly more possible mind.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much of the recent media coverage, regarding City's investors has been pumped up by big gob Cooke.

I'm not saying the investors are puppets,and will not achieve there aim, but a little hype will do a world of good, so to say.

Will the 100mill transfer happen, could well happen, the big mistake IMO is that City have shouted from the roof tops we will pay what ever it takes,(blank cheques) Come January there bluff will be called. So lets say they offer silly money for a player, and silly contract, if the player does not want to join city then 2nd bidder gets him for less although contract would probably be the same. What I can see happening is a knock on effect for the lesser players.

Players current value 20m Jan 25

10 15

5 10

2 5

If it does swing this way it could mean for Eg. Pennant being a 10mill player frightening prospect.

Rovers have 11 K.A's and win PL 2010, what a dream :D Rovers still punching above there weight in round 12 Ding Ding. :lol:

We'll never reach 6th place until one of these billionaire teams messes up/has a crap manager/gets oblierated by the recession. With Platini sucking up to the big teams with these changes, I doubt that will happen soon. Really, the increase in automatic spots should go to the teams from Czech Republic, Poland etc. so they can get some money. Or to teams who play in blue and white halves!

Not this year I felt, if we could finish top 8 I am very happy already. But is still so early in the season, see what we can do at arsenal first. Then we will look from there. And correction, even everton spend more than us this season. :lol:

And Everton are screwed on almost every front.

We will finish in the top 6 THIS season..............

Why do you all think that there are two teams outside the top four better than us?

Which ones are they?

Tottenham? beaten at home by Sunderland.

Man Citeh? Top ten at best.

Who else........?

Jesus, this MB is so friggin negative these days.

Why do you all think that there are two teams outside the top four better than us?

Which ones are they?

Who else........?

good post

:rover:

How much do you wana bet England will have 5 teams in the champions league before long, Money gets you everything

Which ones are they?

Who else........?

Are you drunk???

We drew at home to Hull???

There are so many deluded people on this board

How much do you wana bet England will have 5 teams in the champions league before long, Money gets you everything

Are you drunk???

We drew at home to Hull???

There are so many deluded people on this board

No, you are the deluded one. Places 5 and 6 ARE up for grabs this season.

Rovers are not the favourites to get them but we are certainly not out of the reckoning if either Dunn or Villanueva come as good as Bentley did last season.

At least the midfield has a spine to it that was missing all of last season.

Which ones are they?

Not necessarily in this order but ..........

Tottenham, Villa, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, West Ham, Fulham, Everton, Man City, Bolton, Portsmouth, West Brom.

Is that enough ?

And Chelsea drew at home to Spurs

And Arsenal got beat by Fulham

And Man U drew at home to the barcodes

Liverpoo drew away at Villa

Noticed anything? They have all dropped points after three games

Deluded - you must be

Tottenham, Villa, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, West Ham, Fulham, Everton, Man City, Bolton, Portsmouth, West Brom.

Is that enough ?

Sounds like you would like us to get relegated?

Abromovich was bad enough - but if the Arabs invest to the extent that is being reported - the Premiership will become even more boring and predictable.

Baloney. Abro has made the Prem MORE interesting.

You are forgeting that before the hoi polloi turned up with their foreign names and wads of cash, Arsenal and Man U had a stranglehold over the league.

At least, it's no longer a two horse race. Even if the Champions League clubs are untouchable and the rest clinging to their coat-tails.

Scaring Man Utd to death last season and matching Chelsea in the Semis was as good to watch as any Champions league game..Finishing ahead of these clubs like Newcastle who spend millions just to stay where they are ,gives a buzz....Being able to get a ticket for any game you want,I remain fairly content with the way things are here...

Yes there's very chance, even a top 4 spot is up for grabs for us 2nd tier clubs if citeh new owner going to fulfill the 'project' they had promised their fans.

Imagine what will happen if they really obtain the likes of cech, terry, lampard, vidic, c.ronaldo, tevez, gallas, fabregas, adebalor, gerrard, torres within 2 years but still couldnt win the league under Wenger bcos of too many egos in there?

You never know with the current state of football now sad to say. :D

Totally agree - City will take Liverpools place in the top 4 - and everyone will shuffle down one.

Abromovich was bad enough - but if the Arabs invest to the extent that is being reported - the Premiership will become even more boring and predictable.

The Prem isn't boring, just pointless because it is no longer a valid competition.

The Prem isn't boring, just pointless because it is no longer a valid competition.

Boring is the wrong word, predictable might be a better one.

Football may be the world game but if year on year the same teams are winning the same leagues people will look for something else to whet their competitive appetites. The Yanks have the right idea the way they run the college draft each year for the NFL, the worst teams get to pick the best upcoming talent, this process can take a few years to bear fruit but it ensures no single team can ever go on and dominate the sport.

If Sky were really interested in football they'd propose a reversal in how money is awarded. The team's that go down get their parachute payments. The team next to the trapdoor is given the largest sum and the higher you get the less you recieve. This would in time balance things out and permit much more open competition. The larger clubs would moan but they have so much revenue coming in from other avenues that they'd still be the dominant force, they just wouldn't have it as easy as they sometimes appear to.

I always used to love watching Formula One Stock Cars at Odsal, the better a driver became the further back he had to start on the grid. Okay this used to lead to carnage in the first few bends as the bigger faster cars with better drivers tried to make their way through the amateurs but it made for great entertainment and I used to see some very skillful driving. There were occasions where a guy who started at the front would even win, but only the odd occasion.

The Premier League may be the richest league in the world but in terms of being an actual footballing contest it falls way down that particular league in my opinion.

Rovers are not the favourites to get them but we are certainly not out of the reckoning if either Dunn or Villanueva come as good as Bentley did last season.

:lol:

Are your dreaming again philipl, whatever happened to reality used to be an accountable tool for me.

Dunn is currently operating at a 50 % availability, Villanueva is currently at 0% with no premier league experience at all behind him, probabilities suggest neither is sufficient to keep Rovers up never mind push us on.

Rovers need a few more quality additions to have the slightest possibility of acheiving a top six spot.

:

Rovers need a few more quality additions to have the slightest possibility of acheiving a top six spot.

Rovers did not sign one quality addition during the window and do not have the slightest possibility of acheiving a top six spot.

:lol:

Are your dreaming again philipl, whatever happened to reality used to be an accountable tool for me.

Dunn is currently operating at a 50 % availability, Villanueva is currently at 0% with no premier league experience at all behind him, probabilities suggest neither is sufficient to keep Rovers up never mind push us on.

Given the absolute garbage you post, top 6 has to be a possibility.

Heck we came 7th last season and I am not seeing any sign of the immediate opposition playing a whole lot better thus far.

Is that enough ?

Hooray! We're off to turf moor....Lets go and have a party! :lol:

Rovers did not sign one quality addition during the window and do not have the slightest possibility of acheiving a top six spot.

Its being so positive that keeps you going!

It'll be stunningly hard to do so especially with all the money coming in to the premiership, but Everton and Rovers have shown that it can be done.

Oh and Jim - Newcastle, Sunderland and Boro better than us - hardly. Can't think of too many of their players I'd want in our team (Given, Downing, Alves, Owen if fit, Milner oh hang on...) Where Rovers really need to worry is for more and more of our competitors getting big money behind them, like Portsmouth.

In fact other than the top 4, Villa, Tottenham and Portsmouth I'd say we're as good as anyone. City and Wham have the money to overtake us but are in a state of transition at the moment, and the interferance from owners, directors of football and the like will surely hinder their progress. Newcastle are a joke, Boro average, Keane will panic at Sunderland having to go 4 whole months without signing anyone, and even Tottenham will struggle should that Russian striker get crocked (possible) or fatigued (probable).

Having said that with each new mega rich owner it becomes harder, and for every interfering Ashley there's a Randy Learner who picks the right manager and lets them get on with the job. As more of them come into the Prem - and dare I say it rovers are not that attractive as a potential takeover - it will become increasingly difficult for rovers to compete.

Given the absolute garbage you post, top 6 has to be a possibility.

Heck we came 7th last season and I am not seeing any sign of the immediate opposition playing a whole lot better thus far.

We came 7th with a better goalkeeper and Bentley's creativity. There are massive question marks over Robinson and Villanueva, if we're looking to him for the creativity, has yet to prove if he can cut it in the Premier League.

Anything above a mid-table finish has to be regarded as a success, I have a feeling we'll be around 12th. Next season will make or break Ince's Rovers career, if he's still here.

Can't see us being anywhere near Europe this season, so many changes at the club in terms of players and staff its going to take some time you feel to settle down and for Ince to find his feet. Then there is the debate about our right wing and the impact it may have on Roque this season.

I'd settle for 12th-14th this season and look to try and push on next season.

Will we make top six again, who knows? Money doesn't always guarantee you success; clubs like Spurs, Sunderland, Newcastle and many others should know this by now.

Archived