BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Free Transfers

So are only option now until January is to make free transfer signings for players who are free agents. Anyone know of many knocking about that are worth taking a look at?

Alvaro Recoba

Freddie Ljunberg

Stephen Appiah

Robbie Fowler

Alexi Smertin

Thomas Gravesen

So any of these worth looking at? I think Gravesen and Smertin are past it and wouldn't offer us anything, definitely not an improvement on our current squad. Alvaro Recoba was a class player but from all accounts he has been past it as well for a few seasons now, perhaps worth a trial if he would come to take a look at him.

Fowler is actually beginning to interest me if he really can get fit and anywhere near his old self. McCarthy looks so out of shape it's embarrasing and Roque has picked up a few injuries so far as well as Derbyshire recentley withdrawing from the England U21's. So a striker who is prepared to be backup might not be the worst idea.

Appiah has quality and is surely worth looking at, the drawback is that we have a lot of players in that position and you'd think if he was free then we would have looked at him before if we were interested. Portsmouth and even Arsenal have now been linked, maybe just paper talk but he does apparantley want to play in the premiership.

Ljunberg is a strange one, on one hand it fits our right midfield birth but he's so injury prone would it be worth the gamble? It would have to be a short term deal on low wages to even risk it in my opinion.

So any other freebies knocking about?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So are only option now until January is to make free transfer signings for players who are free agents. Anyone know of many knocking about that are worth taking a look at?

Alvaro Recoba

Freddie Ljunberg

Stephen Appiah

Robbie Fowler

Alexi Smertin

Thomas Gravesen

So any of these worth looking at? I think Gravesen and Smertin are past it and wouldn't offer us anything, definitely not an improvement on our current squad. Alvaro Recoba was a class player but from all accounts he has been past it as well for a few seasons now, perhaps worth a trial if he would come to take a look at him.

Fowler is actually beginning to interest me if he really can get fit and anywhere near his old self. McCarthy looks so out of shape it's embarrasing and Roque has picked up a few injuries so far as well as Derbyshire recentley withdrawing from the England U21's. So a striker who is prepared to be backup might not be the worst idea.

Appiah has quality and is surely worth looking at, the drawback is that we have a lot of players in that position and you'd think if he was free then we would have looked at him before if we were interested. Portsmouth and even Arsenal have now been linked, maybe just paper talk but he does apparantley want to play in the premiership.

Ljunberg is a strange one, on one hand it fits our right midfield birth but he's so injury prone would it be worth the gamble? It would have to be a short term deal on low wages to even risk it in my opinion.

So any other freebies knocking about?

To cut a long story short............NO!

To cut a long story short............NO!

Quite ironic given that you chose to quote the entire post to say that...

I said in another thread that Ljungberg is worth looking at, we really only have Emerton who is entirely comfortable out there. If Ljungberg is fit then he will probably be better than what we have here already.

The only other one that interests me is Recoba, but you wonder if he'd get in the way of Treacy's development. We don't need any more old central midfielders, and I'm not going to rant aobut Fowler again.

Quite ironic given that you chose to quote the entire post to say that...

I said in another thread that Ljungberg is worth looking at, we really only have Emerton who is entirely comfortable out there. If Ljungberg is fit then he will probably be better than what we have here already.

The only other one that interests me is Recoba, but you wonder if he'd get in the way of Treacy's development. We don't need any more old central midfielders, and I'm not going to rant aobut Fowler again.

Freddie has just been paid up at WHU because he hardly played for them as well as earning top dollar. Cannot see anything changing if he was to sign for rovers.

Recoba i suggest would need an extensive trial

Ljungberg was paid up as much for his popularity, or lack of it, as for the financial element. Appiah needs to clarify his contract status- it's still unclear and will obviously affect cost. He also suffers from a blood disorder and has had a bad injury. Big gamble imo. We have apparently got a two year deal for him on the table after negotiations. He knows our DoF apparently...I am lead to believe that our offer of a two year contract will mean that other clubs could easily step in and offer a longer contract if things aren't sorted soonish.

But after the last couple of days-who knows!!

We have been linked to Recoba but I am not sure we will take anyone. Our squad is massive and unless there is anyone out there on a free we can guarantee is going to be better than Emerton/Dunn/Judge on the right what is the point?

Ljungberg is the only name that stands out but he would need to demonstrate a level of fitness and frugality in wags which I think is beyond him.

I really rate Appiah but we have Grella now plus Mokoena and Vogel. No room at the inn.

Agree with LeChuck, Ljundberg has to be worth a go. Even on big wages.

Agreed. West Ham took Ljungberg from Arsenal when his stock was much higher than it is now. If we could get him on a decent wage then I'd be all for it. He's far better than anything else we've got in that area.

He's always had major injuries though hasn't he. I also doubt he would come or that we could afford him, but given the options posted here he certainly looks more attractive.

Fowler or Ronaldo? I know its not that simple.

Bring him in for a year do a Cook on him and exploit it to the fullest while at the same time scouting young brazilians to come play with one of there greats.

I'll shut up now. <_<

Here's one for people to ponder.

He's old, he's fat, he's a lazy sod

Ronaldo.

still scored 9 in 16 for milan last year. I do see a lot of benefits in signing him ie. non footballing ones. No Idea what sort of dollar he would want but you know he would score some goals and raise our profile in world football.

He looks much more overweight than Benni and I would guess it would take a good year to get him near fit enough to play 90 mins. Can't see him ever wanting to play here either, not without wanting megabucks.

Anybody that is free, means that something must be wrong. We missed our chance, by not signing a right winger. We just have to wait till January, its unfortunate but there is no way we will find a freebie who is a quality replacement for Bentley..i could be wrong though :unsure:

Archived