BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] World Cup Qualifiers 2010

philipl

Wouldn't it have been down to the discretion of the referee though? I don't know the answer btw, just thinking out loud. Referees have changed their mind based on the say-so of an assistant before. Surely it is up to the individual referee whether the testimony of a player is enough to reverse a decision?

Good question, a referee CAN reverse his original decision providing that hes not restarted play. Once play has restarted that it theres no going back the game continues.

But then again it must come down to the personality of a referee and would a referee ask a player if hes committed an unfair act of play and on that players say so make his decision solely off it- dont think the assessors would look favourably on this type of refereeing.

The referee would certainly have comunicated to his assistant and if the assistant hadnt seen it then thats it, the goal stands.

c'est la vie

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonder what would have happened, if the ref had asked Henry if he handled. My guess is that Henry would have had a stupid look on his face, and just said no. Im not a great fan of the French, but i hope they get knocked out early. Out of interest sake, will France be seeded?

Out of interest sake, will France be seeded?

I'd imagine so. They're currently 7th in the world rankings and their record from the last three World Cups is very good (Winners, Group stages, Runners Up). They're still a threat but they're one of the "big" countries that I wouldn't mind being drawn against at some point during the tournament.

Ireland have requested an extra place for themselves in the WC.

I sympathise with them entirely over the whole affair, but surely if a replay was denied there is no chance FIFA will accede to this!!

Oh, someone call them the waaambulance. It's time to get over their defeat and move on graciously.

I agree that Ireland should stop whining now and take Roy Keane's advice. If they got a WC place, what about the other teams that lost by playoffs? It's got to be fair for all. FFS all Henry really did was handball in the oppo box. If it was a hand whih directed the ball INTO the net then fair enough, I could see their argument being more concrete, but if Gallas had missed the header, they'd have got their extra tim, but who's to say they'd have won after extra time or penalties? Ireland: Put up and shut up. Prove your point by getting into Euro 2012.

Seeding system released today.

Is it possible to take the 'Qualifiers' bit out of the title and just have a general World Cup thread from now til the tournament?

Also what are people hoping for on Friday?

Everyone I've spoke to wants England to be in Cape Town at some point, group H?

England have been named as one of the 8 seeded teams for Friday's draw.

Meaning they can't draw Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Holland, Spain, Germany or South Africa in the group stages.

The danger teams will therefore be (unseeded) France and Portugal.

BBC

Meaning they can't draw Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Holland, Spain, Germany or South Africa in the group stages.

BBC

Suprised Blatter didn't change the seeding system again to suit FIFA :rolleyes: .

Watch out for (more) dodgy refereeing decisions then to make sure that both of those unseeded teams make it through their respective groups.

Everyone I've spoke to wants England to be in Cape Town at some point, group H?

The groups rotate around different venues, and although 5 different group games will take place in Cape Town, none of the 5 will involve group H!

A3 v A4, F1 v F2, C1 v C3, G4 v G2, E4 v E1 are the Cape Town group games (I have a vested interest - got tickets for all of them and the first knockout game there smile.gif )

I don't really mind either way if I get to see England or not ... there tends to be less hassle when England aren't in town! Having said that I did get tickets to England games in 1998 and 2006 and avoided most of the trouble.

Are there tickets still available if I wanted to goto the World Cup??

FIFA website

Phase 3 of online sales starts on Saturday, but only 10% of tickets made available for public sale remain so a degree of luck will be needed.

Suprised Blatter didn't change the seeding system again to suit FIFA :rolleyes: .

Watch out for (more) dodgy refereeing decisions then to make sure that both of those unseeded teams make it through their respective groups.

I would say the same for the top seeded teams.

Ireland have requested an extra place for themselves in the WC.

I sympathise with them entirely over the whole affair, but surely if a replay was denied there is no chance FIFA will accede to this!!

Problem was, they got sent to the loo rather than the World Cup.

Toilet humour at its best...

BBC

:rover: remenber me when the draw is made tris, :blush: any spares mate :brfc:

• 1 month later...

Archived