BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Thread

John Murray is the number one British lightweight at the minute (his brother was fighting in the olympics), I wish Khan had given him a shot instead of fobbing him off with a pitiful cash offer (rumored to be 30k), same for Jon Thaxton. Obviously Khan didnt make that decision himself, but it still reflects on him as he is seen to be dodging.

Friday Fight Night is great for seeing the stars of the future. Some proper brawls on there at times for the real boxing fans.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my God. I've just watched Moseley vs Mayorga on Sky Plus from last night, it has to be the most amazing fight I've ever seen. In the words of the commentators "I think we've just seen Rocky 7".

If you haven't seen it, please watch it. Just make sure you watch EVERY LAST SECOND. Unbelievable.

Oh my God. I've just watched Moseley vs Mayorga on Sky Plus from last night, it has to be the most amazing fight I've ever seen. In the words of the commentators "I think we've just seen Rocky 7".

If you haven't seen it, please watch it. Just make sure you watch EVERY LAST SECOND. Unbelievable.

Any link mate?

It was on one of the Sky channels about an hour ago. I only caught the last couple of rounds but it didn't look like no Rocky 7 to me!

Hold, hold... ref separates them... back to hugging some more... separated... hug, hug, separated... BANG!

it was on ok fight ,boxer v pub brawler it wasnt as good as fight as has been described.The last rd was a chuckaway and escape from certain loss but as in footy ,you always play to the bell/whistle.Im not sure if he ran out of steam or just got caught with sucker punches.

What's the rule on being saved by the bell in the last round? It looked like the ref was very eager to call it off and give the win to the promoter's fighter.

I know the guy looked out of it for a while, but that could have been a combination of the disappointment of getting beaten so late and the fact that they refused to let him up - one shot showed a couple of people holding him down when he tried to move, and he had to argue with them to make them get away. The commentators were saying it was a certain defeat and probable retirement for Moseley if it had gone to a decision.

Surely when somebody is knocked down, you give them ten seconds to get up - even if he had been wobbly. the bell would have gone by then and he wouldn't have had to fight on.

I thought the exact same - I'm still not sure now. I guess under CSAC rules the final bell doesn't save so counting was irrelevant, the referee has to judge it as it if was a knockdown at any other point in the fight.

The other interesting thing was that it sounded to me like the bell went before the referee waved it off. It was a second or so after he hit the floor, but before the stoppage. I'm not sure how the rules work on this either.

Crazy ending though.

• 3 weeks later...

Really looking forward to Pavlik - Hopkins tonight. Pavlik is brilliant to watch, Hopkins is an awkward fight for him, should be a good one.

UFC89 as well on Setanta at 8pm, all in all a good night for fans of combat sports is in store.

He's fighting Monte Barrett on November 15th at the O2. It's on Setanta.

Hopkins was unbelievable against Pavlik. Best I've ever seen him box. He's now talking about a rematch with Calzaghe in the UK, if Joe can get past RJJ.

Really looking forward to Pavlik - Hopkins tonight. Pavlik is brilliant to watch, Hopkins is an awkward fight for him, should be a good one.

UFC89 as well on Setanta at 8pm, all in all a good night for fans of combat sports is in store.

How good did Hopkins look? talk about rolling back the years. As for Pavlik, no good at that weight, he was tiny compared to Hopkins and was completely out classed from the 1st round to the last.

• 3 weeks later...

Who watched the Calzaghe v Jones Jnr fight?

Joe was sensational yet again, especially after being knocked down in the first round again! He showed great 'bouncebackability' and put on a very entertaining show for the millions who watched. Everytime he dropped his hands (which was most of the fight!) and stuck his head inbetween Jones' gloves, I was expecting him to get a big thumping but instead it was all part of the plan to expose Jones and exploit his style.

Excellent win. What next for Joe???

Although I don't want him to retire, I don't see who else is out there for him to get the motivation to box again.

Most people want the finale Cardiff show down but there's nobody out there worthy to fight.

I think he will retire now, take his money and go back and chill in his nice little Welsh village with his family for the rest if his days.

He wanted to end at the top and stay undefeated and that's what he's done.

I'd like Joe to fight a light-heavyweight title holder and then rretire holding a belt in a different weight.

Well he's got the Ring Light Heavyweight title after he beat Hopkins but I don't see the point in him going after one of the main organisations belts because he'll always be known for his long reign at Super-Middleweight. He's got nothing to prove anymore and would it be really worth it? I don't believe getting a WBO/IBF title would motivate someone like Joe after fighting two all time legends of the sport in two of the most famous venues in boxing history. He's done everything worth doing.

Anyone see David Haye's full time HW debut on Saturday night? He took Barrett apart - 5 knockdowns and a stoppage in the 5th. They rolled Vitali Klitschko up for the interview at the end and talked about how one of the Klitschkos vs Haye is very likely to happen next year.

Interesting newspaper report this morning about Lennox Lewis being offered £25m to come back and finish what he started with Vitali. Pretty unlikely.

I've not had a chance to watch Calzaghe yet - intend on doing so tonight. Agree with the comments that he has nothing left to do now - unless someone like De La Hoya could be persuaded to go up for a catchweight fight (if he beats Pacquiao) then it's got to be time to call it a day. It would need something as huge as that to generate an amount of money large enough for it to be worth considering. Chad Dawson is the only LHW worth fighting and that wouldn't be a big enough draw. Tarver may have been, but not now.

Haye was very impressive Saturday night and showed that he hasn't lost his power behind his bombs by going up a weight. Infact he showed that it's probably helped him put more power behind his shots now.

I expect it will be the same with every fight he goes in for but you can't help but wonder if his arrogance is going to back fire against him when he fights a top dog from the division. I'd prefer him to fight the younger of the Klitschko's first because he's got a poor chin and see how he gets on against him before fighting Dr Iron Fist himself as he's probably the best in the division in my opinion.

I watched on record this morning. I though Ricky was superb, the best he's been since the Castillo fight, in fact better than that. Ricky was the better boxer, more aggresive, pushed the pace and tagged Malignaggi with that jab at will. A lot of talk about him fighting De La Hoya, but I personally feel he'd have more of a chance fighting Pacquiao, if he beats DLH.

Also talk of Mayweather coming out of retirement at the moment, if that happens a rematch has to be a distinct possibility. I wonder whether PBF would come over to Manchester and fight Ricky at 140.

Archived