Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boxing Thread

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't believe Joe is taking part in Strictly Come Dancing this year! :lol:

Quote "My boys are really happy I am doing Strictly," he said. "It will be a change for them watching their dad dance instead of being hit." He added with a smile: "I am used to being the twinkle toes in the ring and now I am going to be the twinkle toes of the dancefloor."

Sadly I think it's certain that he has hung up the gloves for good.

• 4 weeks later...

Who's watching Mayweather this weekend then? Any predictions? I fancy him to stop Marquez late on. I've got £20 on him to win in 10,11 or 12 at 8-1 with Boylesports (with them because it was a free bet). Also got a free bet with William Hill (£25) which I might go for him to win in the 10th at 20-1. I just think he'll be too big for Marquez. It's a big step up in weight for him at 36. Fancy Mayweather to wear him down and when Marquez has to have a go late on, I just think Floyd will pick him off like he did with Hatton. Can't see an early stoppage, it's not Floyds style and there is bound to be some ring-rust having not fought in 2 years. I think Marquez will put up a brave fight though.

Does anyone on here box amateurly or recreationally?

Me and my brother have been debating on joining/looking for a club in the Blackburn area and joining up, mainly as a mode to keep fit. I might have a look in the next few weeks or so, do you do any boxing yourself?

I've never watched Strictly before because the whole idea of watching people dance bores the hell out of me...HOWEVER I gotta see him in it. I reckon he'll be pretty good as he's a great showman in the ring.

How wrong can you be? :rolleyes: That poor blonde birds copped the worst dancer two years running. She really needs to practice dancing less and to simply sleep with the producer! ;)

Mayweather took him to the cleaners. Boring fight though - he outclassed Marquez, not to mention he's bigger and faster.

I quite enjoyed it. Mayweather is a defensive genius - he made Marquez look stupid at times - missing by a more than a foot with some punches. He only landed 12% of his punches. He'll beat Pacquiao if that happens.

I quite enjoyed it. Mayweather is a defensive genius - he made Marquez look stupid at times - missing by a more than a foot with some punches. He only landed 12% of his punches. He'll beat Pacquiao if that happens.

I enjoyed it too, by no means a classic but it definitely wasn't boring. Hard to see anyone beating Floyd, he's quite literally untouchable.

The UFC card that Presty referred to was a cracker.

This won fight of the night - http://www.mmashare.com/rick-story-vs-bria...103-t10880.html

I watched quite a bit of Miguel Cotto last night and I'm really not sure Manny will be able to handle that kind of power (bear in mind that I've said this about both De La Hoya and Hatton and been spectacularly wrong both times). What are peoples' opinion of this match? I'd be very excited about Mayweather/Pacquiao, even though it's incredibly difficult to see past Floyd.

I watched quite a bit of Miguel Cotto last night and I'm really not sure Manny will be able to handle that kind of power (bear in mind that I've said this about both De La Hoya and Hatton and been spectacularly wrong both times). What are peoples' opinion of this match? I'd be very excited about Mayweather/Pacquiao, even though it's incredibly difficult to see past Floyd.

Pacman/Cotto is 50/50 for me. I was edging towards Cotto, but I’m being cautious as Manny has proved me wrong before. Cotto will not rush in like Hatton and therefore the fight should go into the latter rounds. I think Hatton would have beaten Pacquiao if he had any sort of defence, as Pacquiao has been stopped by a much lighter puncher (albeit it 10 years ago). If Cotto can deal with Pacquiao’s speed – his power should cause Pacman problems. Cotto has only lost once and it turns out that could have been against a fighter with loaded gloves. From a betting point of view, the 11/4 on Cotto by KO, TKO or disqualification looks a decent price to me – or even better the 16/1 on Cotto to win in the last 3 rounds.

Not sure at all to be honest. Cotto was terrible against Margarito, but beat Moseley easily. Moseley then beat Margarito. Before that Cotto looked like Floyd's biggest challenger. He could give Pacquiao a lot of trouble if he's back to his best, but the Margarito defeat raises a lot of questions.

Not sure at all to be honest. Cotto was terrible against Margarito, but beat Moseley easily. Moseley then beat Margarito. Before that Cotto looked like Floyd's biggest challenger. He could give Pacquiao a lot of trouble if he's back to his best, but the Margarito defeat raises a lot of questions.

You can't read too much into the Margarito defeat. Margarito has since been banned for using illegal hand wraps which hardened into clay when they set.

See your point mate but I've watched the Margarito fight a few times and he brings things that Pac simply cannot. For one, he's a big, strong guy. Pac can hit but Margarito is right on the top end of that weight limit whereas Pac is much lighter. Margarito also blocks punches with his chin - a lot of guys couldn't take the shots that Cotto dished out in that fight before he blew out at the end and this made him look worse than he probably was. There's also the issue of Margarito loading his gloves - we'll never know if he did so for this fight but if he did then Cotto was at a massive disadvantage taking the kind of uppercuts he did against illegal gloves.

You can't read too much into the Margarito defeat. Margarito has since been banned for using illegal hand wraps which hardened into clay when they set.

Not sure about that, there's no evidence of anything untoward in the Cotto fight, and these things are quite well inspected pre-fight (hence it coming out before the bout with Moseley).

I personally don't think anything of the "Pac is too small" arguement any more - he'll never fight anyone as big as De La Hoya again. I'm pretty sure he can handle Cotto's strength.

I dont have a clue what will happen to be honest but I'm very much looking forward to it.

The next installment of Prizefighter is 2 weeks away, Friday 2nd October - most interesting one so far featuring Audley Harrison, Danny Williams, Scott Gammer and Michael Sprott.

The next installment of Prizefighter is 2 weeks away, Friday 2nd October - most interesting one so far featuring Audley Harrison, Danny Williams, Scott Gammer and Michael Sprott.

I agree with you here - this should be the best prize fighter so far and I'd expect Danny Williams to win it. Should be worth a watch with a few recognisable names.

Last I heard Sprott has pulled out and will be replaced by one of the backups. This is a big chance for Williams and Harrison to revamp themselves, but unfortunately I cant see it happening. This edition of Prize Fighter has such great potential but I can see it being a stinker. Really hope it aint though would love the British Heavyweight scene to take off. Cant see anyone challenging for World Titles but Fury has a chance to aim for European (despite the dodgy win over McDermott) level

Archived