BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steven Reid

Reading the newspaper yesterday I was suprised to see Steven Reid voted man of the match and praised for an exceptional performance against Georgia in a midfield holding role. Fair enough - Gerogia are not Brazil - but they are a decent side, and it is all the more remarkable becuase Reid has looked so poor in the last two games for Rovers that he looked unsalvagable post injury.

If Grella is unavailable maybe he will reprise the holding role in a 451 against Arsenal?

Anyhow I was wondering if our Irish memeber would appraise Reid's performance and how he was used to such great effect? On the Right wing and as an attacking player for Rovers he has been woeful. Was there a major change in his instructions, or just a massive up turn in form?

Joey, you beat me to it!

I was going to say that Reid got some high praise in the Times report of the match. He was in central midfield and was paired with Glenn Whelan. The report said that Reid was the "engine" whilst Whelan was the "oil". Reid is "loving every minute of pulling on the green jersey".

I have always thought that Reid has all the makings of a top player but he seems to have lost his way a little at Rovers. He to me is your classic box-to -box player with a powerful shot and good engine. I would think that he and Andrews will be competing for the same position. Lets hope we will see the true Reid this season.

Even pre-injuries most of said he seemed to have more attributes of a box-to-box central midfielder than a wide player, and most of his best performances for us have come from there. Now that injuries seemed to have robbed him of a lot of his pace and some of his agility, I think central midfield is the only position he can realistically hold down as a Premiership player.

I'm not sure about a strict holding role though, I can't see how he would differ to Mokoena in that position because he can't really pick a pass either.

trapatoni played a typical Italian 442 with both Whelan and Reid sat deep, hopefully we will never do this. Maybe this sort of performance will spur him on? He looked good prior to his injuries, I do wonder how mentally scarred he is, after his numerous comebacks and so on, perhaps he's just not quite right in the head.

Reid did indeed look fantastic. I hope he can rediscover anywhere near this form for Rovers. Just a quick point, Reid knows his role in the Irish side and produces the best form for the last few years whereas at Rovers, he doesn't really have a settled position. Could his inability to recapture his old rovers form have anything to do with the fact that he's not being played in a settled position?

All I say on this is that Mr. Reid has been marked quite well in most games this season by the journos from the nationals. It is only Rovers fans who been giving him an hard time.

He may of played well for Eire but then again he may not have. You cannot go by Journalists ratings.

Certainly, moving around cannot help him.

For me, his best position is central midfield. These days though, he looks so timid when an opportunity to shoot appears. Occasionally, he plays decent balls forward but too often just passes it sideways.

Playing him at right back was just cruel for us and him, because he cost us a few goals when playing in that position.

Reading the newspaper yesterday I was suprised to see Steven Reid voted man of the match and praised for an exceptional performance against Georgia in a midfield holding role. Fair enough - Gerogia are not Brazil - but they are a decent side, and it is all the more remarkable becuase Reid has looked so poor in the last two games for Rovers that he looked unsalvagable post injury.

If Grella is unavailable maybe he will reprise the holding role in a 451 against Arsenal?

Anyhow I was wondering if our Irish memeber would appraise Reid's performance and how he was used to such great effect? On the Right wing and as an attacking player for Rovers he has been woeful. Was there a major change in his instructions, or just a massive up turn in form?

Reid played well but the word outstanding is a little excessive, Reidy just got the ball from a central midfield position and distributed it effectively with a range of long and short passing rarely giving the ball away whilst looking extremely fit. He looked good for me along with Steven Hunt of Reading.

You must be reminded the Goergians who had Zurab playing are a weak team so the challenges Reidy and Whelan were facing in the centre of midfield werent too stiff an opposition.

reid played really well. but it's important to remember that the game was entirely different to a premier league game.

the pace was a lot slower and reid was given vast amounts of time and space, by the georgian midfield.

there's no doubt the game will be a confidence builder for him, though.

reid played really well. but it's important to remember that the game was entirely different to a premier league game.

the pace was a lot slower and reid was given vast amounts of time and space, by the georgian midfield.

there's no doubt the game will be a confidence builder for him, though.

Lets hope so as Reid has been poor for us this season.. He's said he's feeling like his old self before his injury nightmare!!!

Unfortunately the Times is reporting that Reid is a big doubt for Wednesday due to a knee injury picked up on Saturday! A case of one step forward and two back....

Surely more of a case of one step forward and then fall to the floor clutching his knee?

Unfortunately the Times is reporting that Reid is a big doubt for Wednesday due to a knee injury picked up on Saturday! A case of one step forward and two back....

Personally i dont think Reid will ever get back to the way he played before his injury nightmare began.. Especially if he's injured again :o

More on a phsycological front than anything else!!!

Archived