BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Move The Tv Cameras

On hearing 'the media need everything together' point, surely the only thing that needs to go on the riverside is the actual camera itself? The commentators wouldn't need to change seats, the interviews wouldn't need to change location etc. They even have a camera point on the BBE side of the Riverside, so surely it isn't quite so hard to achieve?

Maybe the club should 'man up' a bit and instruct Sky that from now on the camera location must be changed. Our ground, our rules.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there money there rules.

Don't know if it's quite that simple though. Just because they have brought the rights to show live football coverage of our team, doesn't mean to say they make the rules on what goes where in the ground for example.

I guess it's one of the many many things about our club we'll probably never know.

Unless something drastic happens (crowds increase such that a new stand becomes economic), there is no chance of this happening. It would simply cost far too much to justify - as well as new gantries and cabling, TV and the rest of the media want to be all in one stand if they can, with ready access to players and managers. They have perfect facilities in the Jack Walker stand. Also, although it's less of an issue now than it was 2 seasons ago, the Jack Walker stand was the one with the most empty seats so would have looked worse to a TV audience.

I disagree. That is typically the type of defeatist attitude that retarded the club and the area for years prior to Jack Walker releasing its potential.

Many clubs have improved all their facilities in recent years without demanding such absolutist requirements.

PNE (albeit on a smaller scale) now have a ground whereby all fans can enjoy the game from all 4 stands. Similarly Burnley have plans to rebuild the ageing Cricket Field Stand. Not too long ago Aston Villa replaced a charming, but decrepit east stand and they were far from hanging out the 'house full' signs at the time. Ditto West Brom.

I'm sure many other comparable clubs can be cited.

I could understand it if the original stand was preserved and improved as a nod to tradition and posterity (who can remember the ‘train under the tunnel effect’ as shivering fans in the upper tier used to stamp their feet as the game finally started to warm them up!)

Clinging to a charmless, functional 1980's shoe-box stand however, certainly isn’t the way forward for a supposed progressive football club playing in the most lucrative and prestigious league in the world.

I disagree. That is typically the type of defeatist attitude that retarded the club and the area for years prior to Jack Walker releasing its potential.

Many clubs have improved all their facilities in recent years without demanding such absolutist requirements.

PNE (albeit on a smaller scale) now have a ground whereby all fans can enjoy the game from all 4 stands. Similarly Burnley have plans to rebuild the ageing Cricket Field Stand. Not too long ago Aston Villa replaced a charming, but decrepit east stand and they were far from hanging out the 'house full' signs at the time. Ditto West Brom.

I'm sure many other comparable clubs can be cited.

I could understand it if the original stand was preserved and improved as a nod to tradition and posterity (who can remember the ‘train under the tunnel effect’ as shivering fans in the upper tier used to stamp their feet as the game finally started to warm them up!)

Clinging to a charmless, functional 1980's shoe-box stand however, certainly isn’t the way forward for a supposed progressive football club playing in the most lucrative and prestigious league in the world.

But North End had a clear economic case for redeveloping their stand - they need the increased capacity. All rebuilding the Riverside and increasing capacity will do cost the club a lot and give us a ground which is mostly barely half full. Would that not look worse on the TV?

There's nothing defeatist about refraining from spending millions of pounds to have even more empty seats at Ewood than we do now! It's common bloody sense!

As for the TV viewing angle, who cares? People tune in to watch football, not make a judgement on the architecture.

But North End had a clear economic case for redeveloping their stand - they need the increased capacity. All rebuilding the Riverside and increasing capacity will do cost the club a lot and give us a ground which is mostly barely half full. Would that not look worse on the TV?

1. 'Clear economic case'; Preston North End! Based on what?

2. Why do PNE vitally need increased capacity, when they’re averaging 12,000 fans?

3. Who said anything about a rebuilt Riverside increasing capacity?

4. If it's only about filling the stadium and how it looks on TV, here's a thought. Why not knock down the Riverside altogether, erect a camera gantry in its place and then bingo; the TV punters are likely to see a virtually full 3-sided Ewood Park every time they can be a***d reaching for the remote control.

5. Why do think the viewing pleasure of the armchair football fan should take precedence over that of the club's own fans?

There's nothing defeatist about refraining from spending millions of pounds to have even more empty seats at Ewood than we do now! It's common bloody sense!

As for the TV viewing angle, who cares? People tune in to watch football, not make a judgement on the architecture.

Tris, I think the point of the argument is to actually make the club/ground/team seem more attractive to the football world. The only way we are going to survive LONG term is by attracting new fans from a wider area, and to ultimately maybe make ourselves more attractive to a major investor. Potential fans that wouldn't consider Rovers as their first choice are going to be more attracted to us if we are perceived to be a 'bigger' club. Therefore, redeveloping the riverside could represent excellent business sense.

Yes, it could be classed as a gamble, but so is signing a £10m player.

As for the TV viewing angle, who cares?

I don't. I've got the perfect viewing angle..

From the Blackburn End...

I couldnt give a stuff if it doesnt look as good for the viewing public of Malta or the Royal Oak.

Tris, I think the point of the argument is to actually make the club/ground/team seem more attractive to the football world. The only way we are going to survive LONG term is by attracting new fans from a wider area, and to ultimately maybe make ourselves more attractive to a major investor. Potential fans that wouldn't consider Rovers as their first choice are going to be more attracted to us if we are perceived to be a 'bigger' club. Therefore, redeveloping the riverside could represent excellent business sense.

Yes, it could be classed as a gamble, but so is signing a £10m player.

Also there is a stronger economic argument to support your point IHB.

A £10m player could turn out like Grabbi.

An investment in the type of structure that would enhance Ewood Park and the local community is payable over many years (yes much longer even than a Kia Joorabchian signing for Man City). If it has a public utility aspect, it's bound to attract grants and tax breaks. Further, barring an act of God, the structure will enhance the value of the site for future generations.

A new stand is a no-brainer.

QUOTE (Ste B @ Sep 10 2008, 14:44 ) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't. I've got the perfect viewing angle..

From the Blackburn End...

I couldnt give a stuff if it doesnt look as good for the viewing public of Malta or the Royal Oak.

Good point, but there is still no major hotel chain with a quality hotel in Blackburn, seems like a good opportunity to develope the stand with the right partners and provide additional facilities.

Maybe Philipl can get his hands on the money!

Good point, but there is still no major hotel chain with a quality hotel in Blackburn, seems like a good opportunity to develope the stand with the right partners and provide additional facilities.

Maybe Philipl can get his hands on the money!

Whilst this is a good idea in principle, and I would not totally discount it, apart from the stadium location, the rest of the surroundings leave a lot to be desired.

Imagine the brochure; ‘from the east balcony you can view the litter strewn River Darwen, whilst further on the horizon, the greying pre-fabricated concrete block houses of the Highercroft estate are visible’.

It would require a pretty big clean up operation of the entire area.

With due deference to the much-maligned ‘Multi-Faith (sic) Room’ and admittedly slightly playing the Devil’s Advocate; would a better idea not to be to attract some form of Islamic Institute of learning?

This would have several immediate benefits:

1. Attract the elusive (even mythical) ‘Asian’ football fan.

2. Attract possible investment from some grotesquely wealthy Aga Khan type character.

3. As anything connected with Islamic scholarship draws charitable status, such a utility would attract grants and tax-breaks. Further the local council would be falling over itself to sink public money into the facility. Given the daily number of visitors, a good case for finally building the Ewood Park station out of public finance could be made.

There are down sides of course;

a. Stamping your feet would be pretty bloody painful, should we be required to remove footwear on entry.

b. Said proximity to Highercroft would see a huge rise in racist attacks and a boycott of that part of the ground by local chavs (a sizable part of the local community)

c. Some shady characters, with hooks and glass eyes might be drawn to such institutes.

Nevertheless the benefits would still probably outweigh the costs.

My point exactly, one man and his camera, not the whole outside broadcasting team. Ok maybe two for the HSE.

The commentary team would need to be looking at it from the same side as the Camera. Attacking left to right and right to left wouldn't work! :unsure:

Whilst this is a good idea in principle, and I would not totally discount it, apart from the stadium location, the rest of the surroundings leave a lot to be desired.

Imagine the brochure; ‘from the east balcony you can view the litter strewn River Darwen, whilst further on the horizon, the greying pre-fabricated concrete block houses of the Highercroft estate are visible’.

It would require a pretty big clean up operation of the entire area.

With due deference to the much-maligned ‘Multi-Faith (sic) Room’ and admittedly slightly playing the Devil’s Advocate; would a better idea not to be to attract some form of Islamic Institute of learning?

This would have several immediate benefits:

1. Attract the elusive (even mythical) ‘Asian’ football fan.

2. Attract possible investment from some grotesquely wealthy Aga Khan type character.

3. As anything connected with Islamic scholarship draws charitable status, such a utility would attract grants and tax-breaks. Further the local council would be falling over itself to sink public money into the facility. Given the daily number of visitors, a good case for finally building the Ewood Park station out of public finance could be made.

There are down sides of course;

a. Stamping your feet would be pretty bloody painful, should we be required to remove footwear on entry.

b. Said proximity to Highercroft would see a huge rise in racist attacks and a boycott of that part of the ground by local chavs (a sizable part of the local community)

c. Some shady characters, with hooks and glass eyes might be drawn to such institutes.

Nevertheless the benefits would still probably outweigh the costs.

you mean put big green onions on top of the stands?

Bemo would probably think they are left over headers and shots

:lol:

The big name hotel idea isnt a bad one, also take up some of the space, therefore not having loads of extra empty seats. If we could get the finance we could make the riverside the same height as the jack walker, but with only 5000 seats, maybe a raised disabled area (like Uniteds) and then above that we could have boxes/ hotel rooms.

Would make the stadium look complete and then the club could look to add another jumbo screen between the bbe and jack walker.

How much would all this cost - anyone got any idea??

The answer's simple. No need to move anything, just put a massive mirror on the top of the Riverside and have them point their cameras at that. Or if we wanted to do it on the cheap, everyone in the Riverside hold up a mirror. Of course, we'd miss the last 10 minutes of the match when they all, famously, bugger off early, but it makes the view look nicer on the telly... <_<

The big name hotel idea isnt a bad one, also take up some of the space, therefore not having loads of extra empty seats. If we could get the finance we could make the riverside the same height as the jack walker, but with only 5000 seats, maybe a raised disabled area (like Uniteds) and then above that we could have boxes/ hotel rooms.

Would make the stadium look complete and then the club could look to add another jumbo screen between the bbe and jack walker.

How much would all this cost - anyone got any idea??

Quality idea - bedrooms with a pitch view.

Score on and off the pitch............ ;)

The answer's simple. No need to move anything, just put a massive mirror on the top of the Riverside and have them point their cameras at that. Or if we wanted to do it on the cheap, everyone in the Riverside hold up a mirror. Of course, we'd miss the last 10 minutes of the match when they all, famously, bugger off early, but it makes the view look nicer on the telly... <_<

Yeah but when Samba hoofs it clear and smashes the mirror, we know we are in for 1300 years bad luck.

As a Riversider who stays until the final whistle I see plenty of people sneaking down the steps in the other 2 home stands - the fact that the main exits are at either side of a big walkway at the front makes the Riversiders more noticable than the others ;)

As for the stand it'self - I agree with Hughsey - keep the same capacity at the front and use the top for boxes/lounges or a hotel - the stand will then be the same height without increasing capacity, similar to what the dingles are doing.

Archived