BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Winterburn's Defensive Duties

CrazyIvan

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's all looking a bit worrying to me.....we've conceded more goals than ever and the defensive coach hasn't even started properly... :huh:

It's all a bit wierd. Have a defensive coach and he doesn't do much for the first month? Odd indeed.

I was at the pub on monday night and he was there, this interview does not suprise me at all, as i was talking to him for about 2 hours, he seems like a genuine guy.

How is he ment to coach the players when the players arent in the contry.

Just for the record a think he is staying up here, as when i orderd them a taxi they were stoping in a local hotel

It's all looking a bit worrying to me.....we've conceded more goals than ever and the defensive coach hasn't even started properly... :huh:

It's a bit worse than that...a defensive coach who showed no desire to get in to coaching whatsoever when he retired from playing, he went for the easy media route instead of taking any form of coaching badges. Even Winterburn himself said he was surprised to be approached by Ince...no wonder!

The only thing I can think he's come in to do is teach us how to do the offside trap like they did at Arsenal, because it seems like Ince does want to play the offside trap this season. I'd still rather have a proper coach though.

2 bloody days a week, to do what exactly? Are we paying this guy, and flying him over from London and back every week? If you are not commited, then please stay in London. Surely if Ince wanted a guy to help improve our defence, then there must be other guys out there. What do we have on our books at Rovers, if professional players cant defend, and your management team cant explain to the defenders how to defend. Rovers are better off without a defensive coach, and we could do without the current management, who have no idea what to do, to run this club.

It was a very flat back four a la le Arse of old, against (err) le Arse on Saturday.

Which can work if your full-backs don't go up field too much, you have very pacy wingers and you have a midfield sweeper sitting back. Attributes we either don't have or don't currently play. So as far as Saturday is concerned I would say that the tactics don't fit the personnel, which I guess is saying the tactics are wrong.

All in my opinion of course.

That interview sounds like a man desperately trying to distance himself from the woeful defensive displays of the last two games.

Agreed - another stunningly bad example of Rovers PR. As hard to believe as it may be, whoever's 'managing' (and I use that term as loosely as a chavvy mummy's leggings cover her ample backside) the media/PR output from Rovers has sanctioned that article, yet it's hard to see what message it's putting across other than a possibly good idea implemented terribly bad.

Seems to me Winterburn has prior commitments that prevent him doing the role full-time, so it's not the international breaks that prevent him doing his job - it's his availability. This article completely undermines whatever positives there are in his employment, and whoever is handling the PR needs to realise all this release does is enforce the message of doubt over Ince and his staff I'm afraid.

Do we need a defensive coach? Ince thinks so, employs one.

Transpires he's only going to be part-time.

We then end up looking like we've been coached by Frank Spencer, and more defensively naive than any Rovers team I can recall in recent seasons.

Then the coaching incumbent cries to the shabby local media that he's not really done any work so far. I'd suggest what little bit of work he's done is actually more damaging, so I'd be loathe to increase his interaction based on his work to date. I can actually see parallels with the Ince appointment, and look at the groundswell of the 'Ince Out' brigade of late......

Off the back of last Saturday he needs to be at Brockhall every day proving his worth, not moaning that he hasn't had chance to get stuck in because if international duties. Or was there some agreement somewhere that he'd only really bother once his two former clubs had thrashed us?

Winterburn was on SSN this morning. You'd think in light of Blackburn's game with Everton tonight, they'd touch on his coaching career, but it essentially came down to...

SSN: Blah blah blah, Arsenal, blah blah blah, Arsenal Arsenal?

Winterburn: Yeeaah well, Arsenal Arsenal blah blah Arsenal.

SSN: So Arsenal blah, blah blah blah Arsenal, blah blah?

Winterburn: Mmm, Arsenal blahdy blah, ba blahdy blah blah blah.

SSN: Nigel Winterburn. Thank you for your time.

Archived