BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Fulham Preview

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely a good game. Our defense looked a lot better today not causing nearly as many obvious gaffes. Meanwhile Villanueva created a spark being brought on and Derbs looked good as well. Overall a pretty solid game, would have liked and probably should have won by more than a 1-0 margin, but I"ll take it.

Good performance all around today. We deserved to win by a goal or two more really, but lacked sharpness in the final touches.

Robinson made two top class saves, but apart from that had nothing to do.

The whole defense was much, much improved. Warnock went from atrocious last week to being everywhere. Samba was perhaps MoTM, winning everything in the air and a fair bit on the ground. Nelsen made some key blocks, and Simpson was mistake-free, if unspectacular.

We were missing something in central midfield, whether that's Dunn and/or Grella I don't know. That's not to say Andrews/Emerton were poor, Emerton in particular had a good game, almost scoring a beauty with a run from midfield and a curled shot that hit the post. They just didn't impose themselves enough on the game, either defensively or going forward.

MGP, Treacy and Roberts I thought did their job but didn't stand out. RSC was slow getting into the game, but got better as the game progressed and started winning a lot more in the air.

Subs; Tugay perhaps brought some stability, but didn't have a major impact. Villanueva showed some nice skills, good vision for the goal. He'll be one of those players who perhaps doesn't get involved much, but when he does it could be magic. Derbyshire took his goal well, good appearance.

However the most encouraging thing really was the defense. Much improved from earlier in the season, and hopefully it'll stay that way. If Grella turns out to be the defensive midfielder he's supposed to be I think we'll see further improvement. Although there's the sayings about if's and but's...

oh my zeus.

I couldn't believe we scored. We tried everything and it didn't go in, but Derbs stole it. In terms of finishing, Derbs is easily our best shooter. Carlos is also fantastic, why the hell Ince didn't start with him I don't know. Treacy though was also very good and should have stayed on.

It really could have gone either way though. That goal gave Ince a huge present, but we still need to improve in all areas.

I thought we did pretty well. Team looked so much better when Tugay and Carlos came on, thought Derbs wide left was bizarre but it worked!

Carlos really does look like something different. Real quality on the ball. Also i was worried that him and Cruz would not work to well as a combo but they seemed to find space off each other quite well and be very creative.

Defensive stuff was a lot better. As TND would of said it was dogs of war stuff. Some of the challenges were really really agressive. I have seen people get sent off for Andrews lunge in the first half. Nelsen was still getting regualrly beaten in the air by Zamora but did some good stuff on the ground. Samba went from calamatous in the last 2 games to impeccable, he handled Johnson's pace with ease. What has Winterburn been feeding him?

Simpson looks like a good right back. He will hold down that position even when Ooijer returns. Can get up and down, good in the air, and defensively solid.

Warnock had some very shaky moments, but also some good ones.

Primary problem is still the midfield. Emerton caused them lots of issues with his running, and Andrews often went from looking 2 yards off the pace to picking some beautiful passes. But when toogs came on you just saw he was a cut above. A very very large amount of our season rests on Grella and Dunn getting fit I think, and Tugay can come and change games like that (although admittedly a lot of it was down to Fulham standing off) he will be a real asset - especially with 7 sub spots.

It is good to have someone of the quality and versatitlity of Derbyshire to come on.

So, encouraging. But I think Hodgson's tactics maybe contributed to his downfall. We need a holding midfielder who is fit.

Carlos was excellent, as was Emerton, who has looked like our best player so far. Good result today, much needed confidence for the defence with the clean sheet, and a much needed result to push us up the table. Simpson looked a very good player too, and Derb's finish proved that he should be played as a striker, not a winger. Still undecided about Andrews - still looking a little slow, but interspersed with good touches. What impressed me about Andrews was his running from midfield - i think in his few games he has shown that he does have a knack of getting forward into good attacking/goalscoring positions, which is something we've missed.

But let's not get carried away - prior to the injection of our dose of fresh pineapple, we were just not "there". Let's hope we manage to push on now. Fingers crossed! But Carlos, what a find!

PS: And Warnock, what a bloody legend! That tackle on Pantsil as a getback for Treacy was great to watch - would go some way towards dispelling questions about his allegiances and claims that his head has been turned.

saw most of the game, we looked better.

I have just heard a fulham fan on talksport moaning that he had to pay for parking as he had a disabled person with him. We charged him £8.00 to park, and he is far from happy, collymore even said it was a disgrace.

Whilst I completely agree that they should have priority parking I do not believe it should be free.

Well done today lads an improvement was required and you delivered. It was a close game game and could have gone either way, but we did enough in the end.

Now all we need is too figure out a way to fit derb's, RSC and our fruity little friend into the team.

First half was poor. The commentators said that Gamst had a "hissy fit" when he was subbed, I didn't see it but he can have no complaints.

Robinson kept us in the game with a couple of great saves but otherwise had little to do.

Nelsen was done twice by Zamora in the air............could easily have resulted in a goal. He had a very good second half though.

Treacy was disappointing. Roberts was ineffective.

Andrews had some nice touches and gets in the box well. Not perfect though.

Santa was quiet first half but much better second.

Emerton was good but not spectacular.......except for his first half attempt that thudded back off the post.

The substitutions livened things up considerably. Tugay was pretty good but Villanueva looked special. He adds that bit of unpredictability that we have lacked for so long. He will be a regular starter very soon. Great ball to Santa to set up Derbyshire's gosl. Matty looked pretty good coming off the left wing........strange!

Samba was immense and my man of the match.

Warnock was average but I like the look of Simpson...........he could solve a problem at right back.

Very encouraging to read on the BBC's website Player Rater that MOTM was Keith Treacy with 8.50. The reporter confirmed that we deserved to win (in complete contrast to that idiot Stuart Hall, who persists with his anti-Rovers slant on the World Service).

Would be interested to read what type of player Tracey is and what type of instructions he was given for the match. Also, has it been confirmed why McCarthy was omitted?

Yes, Ince - that's the idea!

Play our most skilful and creative player!

Would you not say that it was an excellent use of a substitute? Carlos can clearly make an impact in the latter stages of a game but needs time to build up to a start. I would suggest he may start against Everton for the cup

Massive win for Ince and Rovers. Whether we deserved it or not is a moot point.

Very few chances created and still looked dodgy in the centre of defence despite the clean sheet.

We looked like a football team though once the 3 subs came on.

Robinson. Great save in either half kept us level. 8/10

Simpson. Solid and didn't give the ball away. 7.5/10

Warnock. Much improved. Took the ref to rile him and get him at it and had a storming last 20 mins. 7.5/10

Samba. No mistakes today. 7/10

Nelsen. Did well against Johnson but alarmingly lost Zamora on several occasions. Too slow. 5.5/10

Treacy. Desparately wanted him to do well to dislodge MGP but did very little. 6/10

Pedersen. See the last 50 games. Absolutely no contribution whatsoever apart from wasting corners and free-kicks. 1/10

Emerton. All action display. More than matched the energy of Bullard. Very unlucky not to score just before HT. 8.5/10

Andrews. Have to say had an OK game, but I don't know what he's for. 6.5/10

Roberts. Didn't get much service. 6/10

Roque. We'd be lost without him. 7.5/10

Subs.

Tugay. Man of the match. Changed the game. 9/10

Derbyshire. Did more on the left in 10 mins than Pedersen has all season. Ludicrously booked. 8/10

Carlos. Excellent cameo. 7.5/10

33 more points needed.

I hope for a 1-0 win, but aint going to happen I guess. So its either 2-1 or 1-1. Com'on Rovers!! :rover:

Looks like my wish came through.

Now that's a good performance accompany by a good result. Much needed clean sheet should give the back four a boost.

Thought Ince is brave today retaining the four again, probably to let them redeem themselves. Masterstroke? You decide. :rolleyes:

I thought the midfield did just fine. More 'in the face' which is what I wanted to see after that poor performance last match.

They actually 'kick' bullard(their best player by far) out of the game. I didn't saw him much after that first half. A well earn

yellow there andrews and emerton. :P

Without Grella and Dunn , I feel this our best pairing in the center. Emerton provide the drive and Andrews will have his goal one day with those runs he made.

King Carlos our creative spark!! His quick thinking and application win us the goal. I'm delighted we'll get to see more S.A football from now on. :D

I'm not going to mention the rest but overall a good team performance. Everton next. Bring it on! :rover:

Slow down there guys, your getting caried away if anyone thinks that this was a good performance.

Lets be totally honest, it wasnt that good against a very poor Fulham outfit who, by the count of it seem to have the biggest dwindling away support ever.

I took my seat at 2 minutes to 3 having had a couple of cold ones and having thought about just what to expect in todays game. I didnt quite catch the whole subs bench but quickly realised no Reid or McCarthy were present except in nice clean grey suits. I also noticed Fowler sitting amongst the benched personel.

It was at that point that I saw the central midfield pairing of Emerton and Andrews !! then quickly noticed MGP playing right wing with KT on the left.

I pondered, thought a little then pondered some more because that central midfield pairing wouldnt frighten a 10yr old boys team never mind Fulham FC. It then hit home that Tugay was benched sat next to the Axe.

As the teams lined up I looked at the potential formation and the possible tactics that could be employed to snaffle 3 points from this Fulham team. It took me a while to realise what was NOT going on, in fact it took a full 45 minutes of pure unadulterated dross to even take the chance to acknowledtge den and bazz sat behind me. As I watched, boredom clearly getting the better of me, I looked at the lad in front of me and wondered why he had taken to hair loss treatment rather than just let nature take its course, it really was that poor.

Memories from a seriously awful first 45 minutes -

MGP is not a right winger.

The ref was as bad as Wiley, Riley and Dean.

Rovers had no formation, no tactics and no hope of scoring let alone troubling the away keeper.

The meat and tatty pie was as usual quality with a touch of red/brown sauce.

We didnt concede any silly goals in fact we didnt even concede.

So then the second half comes and we see no changes.

The half started as bad as the first half started but then 55 minutes arrive on the clock. Rovers decide at that point that effort, so badly lacking in the first 55 minutes, is the way ahead. we attack, we pass, we forage we put pride into the performance. However, MGP still stays wide right with no hope of ever going down the line or crossing a central ball because he hasnt got a right foot.

Eventually, Ince compounds my thoughts by removing MGP from the field, putting Tugay on. He is quickly followed by the ineffective Roberts throwing his dummy to be replaced by Sir Matty of Ewood Park. Tugay goes central, the vastly improved Emerton goes wide right.

Rovers then enter a phase of controlled football although there is a lack of final result. You sensed at that point that as bad as Fulham were/are they were going to sneak a winner. A great save from Robbo stopped a certain goal from A "I fall alot" J.

As the clock ticked down to 8 minutes to go, Carlos lifts a ball to RSC, who, in turn nods the ball into the path of Sir Matty and bang the net ripples, 1-0 Rovers game over.

Clearly, the stress was then released as Rovers probed confidently, kept the ball away from the danger area and so nearly went on to score another from the mercurial Carlos.

The whistle sounded and a big sigh of relief was exhaled over the lush Ewood Park pitch.

Observations on the whole.

Ince's tactical brain is an enigma, there were no tactics employed and the formation Rovers had in the first 45 was simply non existant.

Nigel Winterburn has obviously done some good work with the defence, we kept a clean sheet and won 1-0. I just cant think were that kind of scoreline eminates from !

To play MGP on the right wing as well as Emerton and Andrews in the centre is almost suicidal. It clearly doesnt work. Please please dont do it again. We got lucky today it wont happen again.

Ince in particular needs to pay attention to Sir Matty. I am certain that the one handed salute was aimed in Ince's direction and deservedly so. Roberts was so ineffective today it was embarassing to have hs name next to RSC.

Andrews continues to annoy me. Yes he can run but that is his limit. He passes short, he cant tackle on time and gives too many lose balls away in the tight areas of central midfield.

Samba and Nelsen were comfortable today against Aj and zamora, I really thought they would have a hard game but in general they wrapped them up nicely. We saw Warnock back to his crunching best, please I hope BBC show the tackle on fairy Pantsil in the second half. The young lad at right back looked comfortable all game, good in the tackle, good passing and provided a much needed balance to the right with Emerton central.

Rovers need to investigate what Emerton has been doing or drinking. Again, for me, he was easily the man of the match. If only his energy and drive could rub off on Reid and MGP.

So, 3 welcome points that gives us a total of 7 after 5 games. I think that in reality Rovers should have at least 9 points in the bag.

Next stop Geordieland. :lol:

West Ham away was a good performance and we lost.

We played quite well and the positives coming out of this game, far outway any negatives:

1. The defence was excellent, clearly Ince and his team deserve credit for sticking with the exact same team as last week and making sure we kept our first clean sheet of the season.

2. Ince played Emerton in central midfield who was man of the match, he also brought on Carlos and Tugay who changed the game for us and Derbyshire scored!!, how does this not display a "tactical brain"? Sure he played MGP on the right but a winger playing on the opposite winger, that is not really daft is it?

3. Robinson is growing in his role, two fantastic saves, the first one especially.

4. Simpson looks a good player at right back.

5. 3 points!!!

Plenty of things to work on, but the fact remains that if we the fans support the manager and everyone surrounding the club then we will be an asset rather than a hindrance. After 5 games in charge, I would give Ince a 6/10, decent start but could do better.

Very encouraging to read on the BBC's website Player Rater that MOTM was Keith Treacy with 8.50.

That's an error. Treacy's actually on 6. something. Although, of course, those ratings are hardly exact. It sounds like he had a reasonable but unspectacular game. A bit like most of the players, it would seem.

Havent watched a home game against a side we should be winning against where we looked THIS likely to lose and believe me if Fulham had scored we would have lost.

We barely created that many chances and in the second half we were quite nervous and had ran out of ideas until Villanueva, Tugay and Derbs came on.

I hadnt seen Carlos play but I thought he was a danger everytime he got on the ball and the only doubt I have about him is a lack of pace. I dont think he will be physically overrawed as his trickery will mean he gets loads of freekicks but he had a touch of class that we havent seen at Ewood Park. His little shrug of the shoulders and hit to the bottom right corner of the post which missed out was a brilliant bit of skill.

Overall, I thought Derbyshire rescued Ince from criticism, a poor performance, a bad result and that a curtain has been pulled onto some people's eyes.

I didnt see any sign for optimism today for the team, although Paul Robinson is getting better and better by the game.

Archived