BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Class Of '98 Versus Class Of '08

With talk of tough times ahead this season and comparisons already being made with the team that got us relegated in '98, Woy's return to Ewood yesterday seemed quite providential.

I thought the corresponding fixture, with Woy at the helm (21st September 1998) against Chelsea would be an appropriate place to start with a comparison between the class of Ince 2008 and the class of Woy 1998.

Rovers 21st September 1998:

1. Flowers

2. Davidson

3. Henchoz

4. Peacock

5. Sherwood

6. Flitcroft

7. Sutton

8. Wilcox (McKinley)

9. Dahlin

10. Perez

11. Dailly

Subs Not Used: Kenna, Johnson, Dunn, Filan

Rovers 20th September 2008:

1. Robinson,

2. Simpson,

3. Samba,

4. Nelsen,

5. Warnock,

6. Emerton,

7. Andrews,

8. Pedersen (Kerimoglu 60),

9. Treacy (Derbyshire 75),

10. Roque Santa Cruz,

11. Roberts (Villanueva 65)

Subs Not Used: Brown, Ooijer, Mokoena, Fowler.

Comparisons are complicated of course, by the fact that all historical figures are products of their era. Of the '98 starting eleven however, I would say that only Henchoz, Sherwood and Sutton would have been worthy of the right to start yesterday.

Flowers (in his prime possibly the best English keeper not to play regularly for the national team) was by then sadly a shadow of the keeper that helped win us the EPL.

Perez was unfortunate in that, due to domestic circumstances he never got the opportunity to live up to his potential in England.

'Handbags' Wilcox and Gamst-Pedersen might have spent their respective Rovers' career smugly out-pacing the same imaginary snail, but at least Pedersen can take a free-kick.

As for Peacock, he must rank as the worst centre-half in our post war history. After being weaned on the likes of Faz, Keeley, Moran and Hendry, seeing the Bovine Baywatch lifeguard look-a-like Peacock strutting ineffectively around the lush Ewood Park turf spelt a cathartic moment for the famous blue and white halves.

There are other non-starters worthy of a mention; David Dunn, the unfortunate ghost at both feasts and Matt Derbyshire, the Kevin Gallacher of his era?

On the plus side, our bench seems stronger today and we don't have Gary 'a wingers' best friend' Croft and Nathan (the only player I ever heard publicly criticised by 'Hospital radio' John on Radio Rovers) Blake lurking ponderously on the sidelines.

And what of off-field comparisons? Then as now, we were dubbed as a team in 'transition' and subject to managerial murmurings of not being the type of club that could reach out for the more ambitious type of signing.

In retrospect, the class of '98 should have been good enough to stay up, but was undermined by disunity, insubordination in the ranks and inept management. Perhaps in that at least, there's a lesson that's been learnt by the contemporary incumbents?

Pretty shocking defence back then wasn't it?

That 98 team would have survived had it not been crippled with injuries. I think Sutton, Perez and Flitcroft all got injured not long after that game and played very little part for the rest of the season.

But unfair then to compare the teams, although if we suffer serious injuries to RSC, Emerton and Dunn (oops, already happened) then we can make some more serious comparisons.

Forgot about Damien Johnson. Was selling him a good deal for us?

Probably, because he's never away from the treatment table.

Has been a great gritty midfielder when on duty for his country. I can see him returning within the very near future with all the injuries.

Interesting idea. I'd have the 08 defence, the 98 midfield, and as for strikers, there's nothing in it (2 class, 2 carthorses each). As for goalies didn't filan come in and do brilliantly so maybe he should be compaired to robbo? What does differ however was that then we could bring in some class players and spend some serious money, now we're at the other end completely. Nor do we have the likes of Duff Dunn Taylor and Johnson waiting in the wings to bolster the squad, so in many ways we're in a weaker postion.

It also shows is (as already stated) the 98 team had some sheer class in it - Sherwood, Henchoz, Flitcroft, Sutton, Gallacher to name a few. But injuries to these key players showed that the squad depth and quality wasn't all that strong without them, and that those injuries were a major factor in our relegation. I reckon the current squad could well be like that, some class players papering over a few holes in the team and squad. I reckon the loss of Emerton or Santa Cruz could well be the Sutton and Sherwood of today.

Having said that another huge factor is how the manager responds with his transfers. Had Kidd not decided he wanted to play 6 up front and strengthened the defence, we may well have survived. Much will depend on how Ince handles the transfer market. If he shores up the weaknesses in the squad - which imo are a right back, a centre mid (plus one of our many coming good) a top class striker to partner Santa Cruz, and a right midfielder we would have an excellent team/first 16. However if like Kidd, Ince strengthens the wrong positions it could be a rather sticky season.

It all comes back to the Manager, both sides have enough quality to be a top half if not top 6 side.

Peacock was horrible but there was enough depth in the whole 98 squad to cover for his ineptitude if the Manager had made the right decision.

I seem to remember the stories of the pre-Hodgson members of the squad of 98 not talking to the other members of the squad. Wilcox and Sherwood were the only one of these players who did not have a long term injury with other stories that they prefered to go out drinking rather than playing. Sherwood was desperate to leave and join Spurs and unsettled everyone. Remind you of another spoilt brat of the 08 generation.

This left only reserves, kids and suspect signings to play and that is why we struggled and went down.

I think today's squad has a far bigger reputation in terms of international appearances, playing in big tournaments such as the Champions League (RSC, Ooijer, Fowler, Robinson) World Cup and in Nelsen's case the Olympics.

The CVs in today's squad are a little more decorated. However, eventhough players like Wilcox, Sutton, Sherwood, Flitcroft and Flowers don't have the same CV's and number of international caps as Gunnar Nielsen they still played the football we need to see today.

you do the math....

Pretty shocking defence back then wasn't it?

That 98 team would have survived had it not been crippled with injuries. I think Sutton, Perez and Flitcroft all got injured not long after that game and played very little part for the rest of the season.

But unfair then to compare the teams, although if we suffer serious injuries to RSC, Emerton and Dunn (oops, already happened) then we can make some more serious comparisons.

Agree injuries were crazy, sutton, McKinley who very good back then, sherwood, flitcroft, gallacher, perez all injuries, plus lots of panic buys then after

I hate Dailly still

Given the players in these seasons:

Robinson over Flowers (although early days yet)

Simpson over Davidson

POSSIBLY Henchoz over Nelsen (Henchoz was a very good defender in his first spell, Nelsen isn't the player of a couple of seasons ago)

Samba over Peacock

Warnock over Dailly (what position did he play in the Chelsea match? I remember Woy putting him in midfield that season)

Sherwood over Andrews

Emerton over Flitty

Wilcox over Pedersen

Perez/Treacy (No idea yet)

Sutton over Roberts

RSC over Dahlin.

As for the subs, I'd take the '98 bench with Ooijer replacing Kenna.

Agree injuries were crazy, sutton, McKinley who very good back then, sherwood, flitcroft, gallacher, perez all injuries, plus lots of panic buys then after

I hate Dailly still

Sherwood was not injured...he just sulked about a move to spurs which happend towards the end of january

Sherwood was not injured...he just sulked about a move to spurs which happend towards the end of january

Sherwood was a disgrace that season. Hauled from the obscurity of Norwich City reserves, Kenny and the Rovers took him to the Prem Lge title and captaincy. The moment it looked shaky he publicly slated Hodgson and threw a Bentleyesque hissy fit before spinning on his slingbacks and heading for the weird world of Planet Hoddle. But karma is a fine thing and he was publicly humiliated by a makeshift Rovers midfield led by Sparky Hughes at Cardiff just three years later. Hope springs eternal that a similar misfortune will be visited on Bentley.

How Christian Dailly ever became a pro I will never know....useless. I reckon I'm better than him....and he still gets a look in with Scotland.... :huh:

What are you dribbling on about :huh: he made twelve appearances in 2000–01, helping the Hammers to 15th place and he also had the honour of three relegations.

When you can top that THEN you can say you are better then him

What are you dribbling on about :huh: he made twelve appearances in 2000–01, helping the Hammers to 15th place and he also had the honour of three relegations.

When you can top that THEN you can say you are better then him

I still remember that fine headed own goal against City the day they got promoted at Ewood. Ah, what memories... Chrisitian Dailly was erm unique...

Some interesting quotes from an interview with Sherwood in the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/sep/26/1

Excerpts:

You were a big fan of Roy Hodgson when he was at Blackburn. Why was he so good?

Because no matter what players he was given, he would work tirelessly with them. He'd leave no stone unturned with his squad and, as you can see with what happened at Fulham last season, the players reap the rewards. I honestly believe he was the best coach I ever worked with but not the best manager.

The story is that you got him sacked …

I've actually spoken to Roy about this. He was on live TV once and he was talking to Jimmy Hill. He said that I got him sacked because I had too much influence on the rest of the players. When I was asked about it, I said I didn't want to take all the credit.

and ironically:

Were Spurs right to get rid of Dimitar Berbatov? You weren't his biggest fan, were you?

No. But I love him as a footballer. But when everything's not rosy for him, there are problems. He's the sort of player who can get managers the sack. He can throw his toys out of the pram at times and, as a manager, you have to make sure he's 100% committed to your football club. If not, he can be a bad apple and you don't want that around your squad.

Archived