BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What Players Never Got A Chance At Rovers?

Amo

can't think of anyone, if they are really good enough then they will play eventually

I guess young players like given or beatie, but then we have flowers and sutton or cole

We have had a lot of crap really infact souness did a great job at getting out the bad and keeping the good

Andy Taylor gazundered by Bruno Berner.

Eddie Nolan whilst Hughes was here. (Edit: Just read that he has been called into Trapattoni's experimental Eire squad for the next friendly).

Ciaran Donnelly, I would say of course, when he was the star man for the reserves.

Sergio Peter - although supposed attitude problems may have been the main cause.

That is not to say that any of the above would have become Rovers stars or even still be at the club now. It's just to say that their reserve/loan performances were not rewarded by the first team manager accordingly, at the time, and I attribute some of their subsequent decline to this disincentivisation. When we consider that weak players like Jay McEveley, Jay Bothroyd, Jon Douglas, aged Flitcroft, Nisse, Mokoena (cb), Gresko (cm), Matteo (cm/lm) did get so many first team opportunities, I think it was unfair that most of the above did not at least get the Jemal Johnson dozen sub appearances to make an impression.

Please don't list the current inauspicious statuses of these players - I know that Donnelly's playing non-league. That is not my point.

Should have sold Flowers not Given. I'd like to see a bit more of Derbyshire. Whenever I see a game he seems to be a bit more skillfull than Roberts, and a lot more interested than Benni.

Derbyshire still lacks the stamina to make an impact for 90 minutes. When he has that he'll be a cracker.

I know a lot of Rovers fans don't like him (for me, inexplicably), but I think Sergio Peter is the player who most fits this underappreciated bill. Really should have been given a real shot during Pedersen's long period of uselessness.

Please don't list the current inauspicious statuses of these players - I know that Donnelly's playing non-league. That is not my point.

Unfortunately that is the point. There's a difference between not getting a chance to show how good you are, and not getting a chance because the coaching staff know how good you are.

Patrick Valery

Valery made 15 starts. Unfortunately most of his ability was in kicking opponents rather than the ball.

It would've been interesting to see De Pedro play more games. It looked as though he lacked desire and real fitness but I was really excited when he signed and that was definately a period when we were very weak on the left, just prior to MGPs rise to glory.

Andy Taylor gazundered by Bruno Berner.

Eddie Nolan whilst Hughes was here. (Edit: Just read that he has been called into Trapattoni's experimental Eire squad for the next friendly).

Ciaran Donnelly, I would say of course, when he was the star man for the reserves.

Sergio Peter - although supposed attitude problems may have been the main cause.

That is not to say that any of the above would have become Rovers stars or even still be at the club now. It's just to say that their reserve/loan performances were not rewarded by the first team manager accordingly, at the time, and I attribute some of their subsequent decline to this disincentivisation. When we consider that weak players like Jay McEveley, Jay Bothroyd, Jon Douglas, aged Flitcroft, Nisse, Mokoena (cb), Gresko (cm), Matteo (cm/lm) did get so many first team opportunities, I think it was unfair that most of the above did not at least get the Jemal Johnson dozen sub appearances to make an impression.

Rover6, I would tend to agree about Donnelly, as he had so much promise and awarded with individual trophies during his youth football.

I really thought he would have made it and then for him to fall back and play in Northern Ireland for Glenavon was astonishing to say the least.

With regards to Andy Taylor I've never seen him play or haven't heard too much about him.

However, McEveley was a solid enough player when he played based on his age and experience and I would deem it unfair to state that he was given so many 1st team opportunities. I won't disagree with Bothroyd, Matteo though.

Grabbi, of course!

I was thinking the same myself, not! In a way I had a soft spot for Ciccio, but as we all know a dreadful waste of money.

He did have talent, but after a stale period, understandably his confidence dropped. Just imagine if his shot against Everton has went in off the post, as well as the one he cannoned off Barthez's crossbar on his debut, and in the same game if his goal wasn't disallowed, after Barthez got lucky with a free-kick being awarded.

But what about his header against Liverpool.?

:rover: joe garner :wacko::brfc:

I never had the chance to see much of Joe, but certainly has an eye for goal. Quite similar with regards to the smart finishing of Gary Hamilton, but with reports of his attitude then obviously this was why he wasn't given the chance.

Other players, whom I would state weren't 'Given' a fair crack of the whip, but this was largely due to beter player playing in their positions, were: -

Shay Given

Anthony Martin

Neil Danns.

I guess you'd have to say Patrick Andersson, given that he went on to play Barcelona a few years after he left us.

He also won a bronze medal in the 1994 World Cup, won the Champions League with Bayern Münich and won the Bundesliga for the same team on the final day of the season with a freekick...

Archived