BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Geez, Imagine Doing This At Our Club

neekoy

Juve plead to Italian FA to cancel injured players contract

This seems ridiculous, unfortunately players get long term injuries. How can a club just say "well I know we have a contract with you but you are no good to us injured so we are going to cancel your current contract"

How you would you be being a player who has given a number of years quality of service to a club only to hit bad times and have your contract cancelled because they don't want to carry your injuries.

This seems ridiculous, unfortunately players get long term injuries. How can a club just say "well I know we have a contract with you but you are no good to us injured so we are going to cancel your current contract"

How you would you be being a player who has given a number of years quality of service to a club only to hit bad times and have your contract cancelled because they don't want to carry your injuries.

Bet they wouldn't do it to Del Piero.

Whilst I agree in theory, this goes two ways. Players aren't showing enough respect and loyalty to clubs these days, so why should clubs be expected to show loyalty and respect to players anymore?

Yep, that's the problem. Really I think what clubs should have in place is a sort of salary reduction for long-term injuries. Say if you are out for 3 months or more you will only recieve 40-50% of your salary. That way a club can still honour a contract, but they aren't having to pay as much to a player who can't do them any good. Think if we lost one of our highest earners for 12 months, we aren't in a financial position where we could offer a replacement similar terms. I know that clubs have insurance out on players but it is never clear to me in terms of how that actually works.

It wouldn't work though would it?

Imagine if you're a player - do you throw yourself wholeheartedly into a 50-50 challenge knowing that if you're unlucky and break a leg you'll lose 60% of your wages, or do you hold back and avoid injury at all costs?

Well at my place you get paid for 6 months and then its half pay.

Does your job put you in constant danger of injury by the very nature of the job you do? Premier League players put their bodies in the way of injury so to be tackled by say Michael Ball and get your leg broken surely shouldn't mean you drop to half your salary? Football, by it's very nature, is different from what you might call everyday jobs.

So, the injury occurs whilst playing for the club through no fault of the player...and you reckon that they should be paid less as a result?? :lol:;):lol:

Players always argue that they are paid so well at least partially because of the risk of a career ending injury, you can't have it both ways.

Well at my place you get paid for 6 months and then its half pay.

If you were to be injured "on the job", so to speak, you would get full pay and compensation I imagine.

There will be Health & Safety regulations around your role but in Sport how do you apply Health & Safety?

call the exectutive and say i drive a hgv and the roads are dangerous and when i get onsite we need to things that can be construed as "risky" as thats the nature of my job and then theres the constant risk of some loon running into the roadworks and it doesnt matter how much roadworks guarding you use theres always the risk of a nutter coming into you..One guy fell off a pole and was seriously hurt and they tried to sack him .My mate went over on his ankle and they bollucked him for doing it "on purpose" another guy was working in a manhole and was getting out and the machine he was working with suddenly the handbrake snapped and it rolled into him cutting him two,another fella had his arm ripped off.Some people do dangerous jobs ,its life.Would you tell a policeman to goto the safety people because theres a chance they may shot or a young private in the army?

call the exectutive and say i drive a hgv and the roads are dangerous and when i get onsite we need to things that can be construed as "risky" as thats the nature of my job and then theres the constant risk of some loon running into the roadworks and it doesnt matter how much roadworks guarding you use theres always the risk of a nutter coming into you..One guy fell off a pole and was seriously hurt and they tried to sack him .My mate went over on his ankle and they bollucked him for doing it "on purpose" another guy was working in a manhole and was getting out and the machine he was working with suddenly the handbrake snapped and it rolled into him cutting him two,another fella had his arm ripped off.Some people do dangerous jobs ,its life.Would you tell a policeman to goto the safety people because theres a chance they may shot or a young private in the army?

I think the HSE would have a lot to say about those incidents you report no matter what you say now.

The point remains that football is not like any other job or any other business. It's why clubs take out insurance on their players against injury. You'll be covered under your employers insurance but they won't have a specific policy to cover you alone.

Archived