BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Looks Like The Board Wont Be Freeing Much Cash Again.

den

Can't believe we paid £3.3 million for Grella, I thought he was a lot cheaper than that.

The thing that really grates on me is the stories on the summer of the Trust putting £3 million a year back in to Rovers. That feels like a cheap PR stunt at the moment, because it's certainly not showing in the transfer market.

That feels like a cheap PR stunt at the moment, because it's certainly not showing in the transfer market.

I wouldn't imagine that it's a PR stunt, Le Chuck. That's the easy way to explain Ince's comments, without slating the club.

I would guess that the Ince summing up of the situation is fairly accurate.

I wouldn't imagine that it's a PR stunt, Le Chuck. That's the easy way to explain Ince's comments, without slating the club.

he's not told us anything us rovers fans didn't know before!

we will always have to shop around.

we're a small town club competing with the big city clubs....

why people still get so agitated is completely beyond me!

yawn

yawn

What a very defensive reply.

Agitated? Thought you would be interested in Ince's comments about the forthcoming transfer window, most fans are.

It is the Lancashire Telegraph simply recycling what was said by Ince last week on Sky- verbatem. Beginning to be a habit now.

I don't think anybody is remotely surprised that Rovers won't spend £60 to £70m in one window or £15m on a single player. None of that is news.

If Rovers did offer E9m rising to E11m for Joaquin in the summer then it would appear an all up fee of £9m for one player is within reach and equally if £60m gross spend is not possible in a single window, perhaps £20m might be. In which case, Ince is saying nothing we don't already know albeit packaging it for the benefit of agents and selling clubs.

My gut feel is we should have gone to Valencia's asking price of E11m rising to E13m for Joaquin as I believe there was a window of a day or so when we could have captured him. Had we done so, a record of Won 5 Lost 1 and top of the table could well have been possible from what we know of the opening 6 games.

If Ince came out and said we had loads of cash to spend then the price tags of all our targets would shoot up.

Don't read anything into these comments, he isn't the first manager to create a smokescreen before pulling a quality bargain out of the bag. These comments are part and parcel of the transfer game Rovers managers have to play if they wnt to get the right player at a price we can afford.

I know that some find it hard to take in, but maybe our manager isn't as daft as people want him to be.

I appreciate fans don't want to hear that we have no money. I appreciate that the 'poverty' tag does nothing to raise morale around the place. But i would rather be hearing this than Ince saying 'The board have made £20m available for the January transfer window'. If we start shouting about having money to spend then anyone we look at will suddenly be worth 30% more than they were before.

I know its only speculating, but if we assume we have a weekly wage bill of say £600,000, over a year that works out over £31m. That has to be found from somewhere and with dwindling ticket sales it has to come from the TV money. This doesn't allow for much in the way of transfer funds every year.

If we paid £3.3m for Grella then in real terms that is a big outlay. I would also imagine the £5m for Villanueva has been budgeted for. Forget the Robinson fee which was almost covered by Brads departure, but include the Andrews and Bunn fees, then we are up around the £10m mark.

Ince would have taken the job on the understanding he had the £10m 'warchest....cough cough' that Hughes was promised. Now, if the Bentley fee has been banked and the 3m injection from the trustees has not been touched it would suggest we are looking at a potential £10m in the bank. I honestly cannot see Ince spending that in January unless we are in desperate need of numbers or quality. Value for money in January is extremely bad. I would hope Ince will be given this to spend next summer. If this is the case then it will have meant consecutive summers in which we have spent £10m. I think that would be shrewd planning by the board and enable us to compete next year as well as this.

People always interpret we can't spend 10 million on one striker as we can't spend 10 million. We may have 10 million to spend but we can't put all our eggs in one basket with it. It has to get us a striker and a midfielder and a defender or whatever. The difference between us and clubs with money is that they can afford expensive flops. We can't. Whoever we spend our money on has, barring injuries, to perform week in week out for us.

Just look at Everton as a prime example of skint. They admit they are desperate for new faces, they too are skint!

Next thing they sign a midfielder for £15m!

If we tell people we have cash and we are looking then prices will go up. King Carlos is going to us £4m extra, Grella cost us just over £3m. Im pretty sure going off Philips excellent financial grip of rovers that we have money if needed.

Can somebody from the above page please explain to why we have to pay any transfer fees at all? I understand that with freedom of contract there is no need anymore.

You should probably get that sent to Old Trafford, maybe the Glazers can get their £30.75 million back. :huh:

Sometimes drog you post great stuff, but other times I don't have a clue what you're on about. This is the latter.

Just look at Everton as a prime example of skint. They admit they are desperate for new faces, they too are skint!

Next thing they sign a midfielder for £15m!

The thing with Everton though, is that Cartwright (or whoever is in charge upstairs there) has remortgaged the club just to get funds, and not just the once either, and yet they're always skint. The new Tesco stadium of theirs (if it ever gets built) will only drain them even more. Makes me appreciate all the more the current position Rovers are seemingly in financially.

Funny club Everton. They must be absolutely borrasic for the general mood that seems to have descended on them yet no other club ever seems to be linked to one of their players, nor do the players ever seem to want away. If Cahill / Arteta / Lescott were playing for BRFC then I'm sure they'd all have been snaffled now by bigger clubs...... or gone on strike. What gives? :huh:

Can somebody from the above page please explain to why we have to pay any transfer fees at all? I understand that with freedom of contract there is no need anymore.

I think its called a "Bubble"!?

Pretty soon its gonna "pop" and there may be some peeps a bit confused by the bang!

OOHEMMMGEEE - I CANT BELEEVE WE OOOO SOOOOH MUCH TO DA MERCHANTS!

CUMINNUMBER7URTIMEISUP

One factor being over-looked is that whilst everyone is aware the club will have £4m set aside to make the Carlos signing permanent, there may well also be a deal to do to sign Danny Simpson which could be tying up another £4m or so.

You have changed your tune somewhat. Previously it was Ince's fault we didn't sign a quality right winger, now you are insinuating that it is the board that has prevented this (and will continue to do so).

Personally I am not reading anything into this. It is just gesturing, maybe Ince felt the prices we were being quoted were too high (after we received the Bentley money). He is just making sure people think we are skint

yawn

Er, hold on a second.

I think there's a genuine point here that the purse strings have been tightened even further since the days of Souness and Hughes.

I don't expect anyone of the calibre of andy Cole or Craig Bellamy to be signing for us any time soon.

Er, hold on a second.

I think there's a genuine point here that the purse strings have been tightened even further since the days of Souness and Hughes.

I don't expect anyone of the calibre of andy Cole or Craig Bellamy to be signing for us any time soon.

But what can be done about it?

If we are in such a position then the club can't take unnecessary risks (very topical at the moment).

It needs to guarantee the long term financial future of the club.

Which won't be very good if we go down.

What can be done about the tightened purse strings? Perhaps they can be loosened?

I'm not advocating we go silly, but equally, this is a bit too far the other way.

i repeat - what has he said that souness and hughes didnt say before him?

Archived