BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Eddie Nolan To Pne.

den

Good move if he gains experience and returns a better footballer.

It's another step up in the lads career. If he's successful then I don't see why he can't come back and challenge for a first team spot.

It's unusual to agree a possible permanent move if we expect him to come back I would have thought.

Do you know why Nolan hasn't totally disappeared from the radar?

It's because he plays for Ireland U21s. This is an advantage that young players from smaller countries have. They may never get a sniff of first team football but featuring for the reserves is enough, on occasions, to get U21 prominence. And it's not just exposure but playing U21 football no doubt gives them confidence as they do meet high quality team-mates and opposition.

English young players are at a serious disadvantage in this respect. Only the reserve players of major clubs get into England U21 squads, usually.

BTW: I hope Nolan makes the most of this move. He must be absolutely overjoyed to escape the depressing quagmire of reserve footy.

It's just come on Radio Lancs that Nolan is looking forward to playing as many first team matches as he can; he hopes this will interest other managers, possibly including Ince to whom he has rarely spoken since his arrival at the club.

I think Nolan will be a success at Preston. For him to get to the stage of captaining Ireland's U21s and even getting into the recent experimental Ireland national squad without featuring for the Rovers first team squads (beyond a paltry app) is quite impressive.

In fact, Nolan did not even travel with the pre-season squad that Ince took to the Continent. Since the days that Hughes had him tagging along with the firsts, he has fallen away. It's an excellent move now for him to go to Preston.

Give the guy some due, he has done his 'time' with the reserves and we haven't heard of any Sergio Peter-style misbehaviour - no idiotic red cards. And he's steadily got on with his career despite being moved to right back from his favoured CB position.

He joins a familiar face in Jay McEveley at Preston, doesn't he? Now, I don't think much of Jay "Beckham-icide" McEveley, so I see no reason why he should not surpass that cumbersome heffalump who earned us a ridiculously large fee.

I think Nolan will be a success at Preston. For him to get to the stage of captaining Ireland's U21s and even getting into the recent experimental Ireland national squad without featuring for the Rovers first team squads (beyond a paltry app) is quite impressive.

What's impressive Rover6? How does that say anything about his ability? He might be the best player they have, but does that prove anything about his chances of making a Prem footballer?

It is impressive that Nolan has managed to get into Trap's provisional Ireland squad despite being so far down the favour at Blackburn.

Ireland are short of players but are not so desperate they would pick any player featuring for a middle-of-the-road Premier League reserve side, even for their U21s. Nolan has obviously done plenty to impress at right back for Ireland U21. And a further impressive thing, I would have thought, is that he has had to adapt from his favoured position of CB.

None of this proves that he will make it as Premier League footballer but it all suggests that he has potential - which has been dealt with unappreciatively at Rovers imo (mainly Hughes).

Nolan was one of those players that were identified by the management as having potential, given a little hope but then discarded brutally.

All I ask from the management is have the conviction to follow through with their judgment. If they identify a guy as having potential and are ready to let him sit with the first team and then get an odd sub appearance - that should progress to more meaningful chances to make the breakthrough BEFORE being discarded back into the reserve heap.

This applies to any football team - England national team too. If Capello thinks a guy is good enough - give him meaningful chances to make it. Don't give him one 45 minutes and then drop him forever as disgracefully happens so often.

Archived