BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Middlesbrough Preview

chocky

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a side issue to the Emerton scenario and views how about this.

Should RSC be fit I would play him up front with Roberts.

In midfield I would have MGP back on the left, Emerton right.

In the central positions I would have Tugay playing the holding role and would consider playing Benni behind the front two.

Some would say mad, but with both Emerton and MGP having the legs to back up the full backs it might just work in the creative stakes.

Benni is the type of player that can create the pass, he can link up the play and can bring both wide midfielders into the game, oh yes, he can also score the goals from long range.

Are you Keegan in disguise??? Isn't that what he wanted to do with Owen?

Whilst I agree that Benni has creativity to his play I would be so worried by his lack of an engine. I wanna see Villa on the pitch, Its a game against similar opposition to ourselves and is the type of game he could shine in. I can see Grella in the holding role all the talk of how Tugay can't play in all three of the next games has me thinking he's out for this one.

Benni does like to drop in and link with his partner, who has to play point. I've always felt its why RSC and Benni does not work they both do it. Derb's could even be an option with Benni for this game. Chelsea destroyed them with guile wheater looked lost, Benni would give us this guile so to speak along with carlos we have the potential to carve them open. I do feel Middlesbrough have quite a combative back two they will relish a physical battle so perhaps Roberts is not the best choice for this one.

So I'm gonna plump for Benni and Derb's up top on Sat, Roberts can come on once Benni starts blowing out of his arse.

Ince has been letting bits and bob's out in the press today saying about Warnock as well so maybe he's on his way back to LB now the Gorilla is chomping at the bit.

I think we will see quite a different Rovers tomorrow.

--------------------------Robbo-----------------------------

--Ooijer---------Nelsen-----------Samba-------Warnock-

--Emerton------Grella------------Villa----------Olsson/treacy

------------------Benni------------Derb's-------------------

i see no place for MGP other than the bench which if he comes on from he must impress. Olsson has played a couple of times at LW in the reserves and I think he could have something to offer there. Whoever starts there though the other should come on for him just to hit it home to MGP (nothing else has worked).

We have scored 8 in 8 so perhaps it time for a change up-front Christ we only have two goals at home total (we have played United and the gooners).

So here's the fun part just put £5.00 on Rovers 4-0 victory.66/1 come on lads.

As a side issue to the Emerton scenario and views how about this.

Should RSC be fit I would play him up front with Roberts.

In midfield I would have MGP back on the left, Emerton right.

In the central positions I would have Tugay playing the holding role and would consider playing Benni behind the front two.

Some would say mad, but with both Emerton and MGP having the legs to back up the full backs it might just work in the creative stakes.

Benni is the type of player that can create the pass, he can link up the play and can bring both wide midfielders into the game, oh yes, he can also score the goals from long range.

I think Hughes tried that with benni last season and it didn't work. The season before that Benni played virtually up front on his own. Maybe by playing Benni up front with Roque coming from deep might work better.

Could be a tricky game and agree with other posters, in that this is a 'must win' game. Hopefully 3-1 to Rovers :rovers:

Robbo

Simpson

Samba/Oojier

Nelsen

Warnock

Emu

Vince

Toogs

Mr Pineapple

Benni

RSC

Subs: Brown, Oojier/Samba, Kisha, Gamst, Treacy, Derbs, Roberts

I can see Andrews starting this one, Ince doesn't seem to have faith in Vogel

If not, he'll definitely come on and the boo boys will have their chance <_<

I don't see the major criticism, he did well against Fulham and decent against Bolton, he seems to be a scapegoat. Even if you don't like him booing him etc isn't the answer

Have to agree with my fellow Rovers fans, the game is a must win one. Whilst Boro seem to be pretty inconsistent in their league form and performances this season i can see them being a rival for a top half finish come the end of the season. A win would also give us a big boost going into the difficult away match against Villa.

Going for a hard fought 1-0 win, Benni with the goal.

Need to re-build fortress Ewood.

Last week for them was a real kick in the pants, Southgate will have them fired up.

I really want to see some goals with a clean sheet, but we are still not firing on all cylinders up front.

1-0 win is enough for me, but I think it's a tough call.

It is a must win game, with matches against Villa, Pool, Chelsea still to come from our first half of the season, not to mention Portsmouth, and Spurs who will also be difficult. Home games are must wins. Its obvious we arent going to get much if any points off the Big Four, unlike previous seasons when occasionally we took off at least a point, especially at home!

Good performance would be a bonus, although I hope to see potency up front!

Can't see how this is a "must win" game.

The points total so far gives us breathing space. The most important thing from this game, is a good performance.

Defeat along with a poor performance in this game will signal the end of Paul Inces honeymoon at Rovers.

Either of the two doesnt bare thinking about so come on the Rovers on an excellent football pitch only the most skillfull committed and organised will succeed today.

The points total so far gives us breathing space. The most important thing from this game, is a good performance.

after this game we have 3 hard fixtures, which will be hard to get more than from, we need to win this one.

dont care how we win today.

Given the likely conditions it'll be the team that plays the conditions best that'll win this one. Against the Red Rats on a wet , slick pitch Tugay was completely by-passed. I'd like to see Emo and Grella play in centre midfield but who plays on the right ? Not signing a Bentley replacement was a real howler. We're going to have to score a couple to win this I think so we need some creativity so I'd take a chance and start with Villa and Ollsen in midfield. I can't understand the people who want MGP back in, why, what has he done, I wouldn't even have him on the bench.

Robinson.

Simpson

Samba

Ooijer

Warnock

Emerton

Villanueava

Grella

Olson

Santa Cruz

Derbyshire

Subs

Brown

Nelsen

Tugay

Andrews

McCarthy

Roberts

Treacy

Robinson

Simpson--Samba--Nelsen--Warnock

Emerton--Grella--Villanueva--Pedersen

McCarthy--Santa

Subs: Brown, Olsson, Treacy, Derbyshire, Ooijer, Andrews, Roberts

Just read Inces comments on Warnock.

Robinson

Simpson--Samba--Nelsen--Olsson

Emerton--Grella--Warnock--Villanueva

McCarthy--Santa

Subs: Brown, Pedersen, Treacy, Derbyshire, Ooijer, Andrews, Roberts

Maybe not must win but the 16th placed club moves ahead of us if they win and we lose.

Rovers really should win this one. Boro are not a good team, a few promising individuals but generally they're a weak outfit.

Unless Rocky's injured Roberts should not start as he's been dire the past few weeks. However if he does, I've a feeling this is more his type of game then many of the others this season so him starting won'y be an utter disaster. As for Benni, not sure how long this good form of his will last so we'd better make the most of it and stick him up front with Rocky. Derbs is a bit lightweight for their defenders, will be much better coming on as a sub when they're tired and his pace can worry them.

The midfield is the interesting conundrum of who gets picked. If Grella's fit then he should be in there doing the dm job, letting other players go back to their preferred positions. As it's likely to be scrappy I'd have Emerton on the right (who else reali9stically is there?) and Peds on the left, which should be tough enough to "carry" Tugs regarding defensive duties.

Defence - picks itself bar rb. I'm torn between Simpson's pace and Ooijer's experience to counter Downing. Ooijer seemed to do a decent job vs Ronaldo so may well just edge it imo.

Reckoning a tight 2-1 win for rovers, us making it harder than we should. Peds and Benni to grab the goals.

ROVERS: Robinson, Simpson, Ooijer, Nelsen ©, Olsson, Emerton, Grella, Warnock, Villanueva, Derbyshire, Santa Cruz.

Subs: Brown (GK), Tugay, McCarthy, Khizanishvili, Andrews, Treacy, Roberts.

MIDDLESBROUGH: Turnbull, Taylor, O'Neil, Riggott, Pogatetz, Digard, Aliadiere, Alves, Tuncay, Downing, Wheater.

Subs: Jones (GK), Emnes, Shawkey, A. Johnson, J. Johnson, Grounds.

ROVERS: Robinson, Simpson, Ooijer, Nelsen ©, Olsson, Emerton, Grella, Warnock, Villanueva, Derbyshire, Santa Cruz.

Subs: Brown (GK), Tugay, McCarthy, Khizanishvili, Andrews, Treacy, Roberts.

MIDDLESBROUGH: Turnbull, Taylor, O'Neil, Riggott, Pogatetz, Digard, Aliadiere, Alves, Tuncay, Downing, Wheater.

Subs: Jones (GK), Emnes, Shawkey, A. Johnson, J. Johnson, Grounds.

Slightly suprised to see Benni on the bench, thought he would have started today. I just hope that Roque is 100% fit, i would rather give him more time to rest and get him ready for the Villa game if he isn't fully fit.

Good to see Derbs starting, though i hope he is up front and not on the right.

You've got to admire Ince's fortitude to leave Gamst out, again.

I'm not sure that Carlos has what it takes LM but that Gamst had to be dropped was spot on.

Thought we might see Warnock left midfield.

Question is; when will we see the Emu partnering in centre midfield with the Gorilla?

Surprise not to see Benni starting as would have liked to see up front with Rocky. Problem is no-one in centre midfield to get forward with Warnock and Grella both defensive battlers so I would guess that we may have a 4-2-3-1 formation.

And no Pedersen on the bench! Fair play to Ince for having the balls to drop one of our more recognisable players and hopefully this will cause him to wake up and start producing the goods.

Archived