BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ipod Touch

Thinking of getting one of these for someone's Christmas as I know they want one. I've read a few reviews which suggest it's neither one thing nor the other - missing features you get on an iPhone (obviously) and not as good as an ordinary iPod. I've yet to find a positive review. Anyone got any experience with iPod Touch? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Guest Kamy100

I've had a 16GB Ipod Touch since launch and think that it is marvelous.

It is in my opinion better than the original Ipod's, lots of people told me the 16GB was too small, but to be honest even after having it for nearly 18 months I have still only filled 6GB of it. Other than that the added functionality (particularly after the recent firmware update) allows me Sync all of my contacts and also make use of the notes system which is very handy. I also keep all my appointments etc on the in built calender. Also with the built in WIFI I can access the Internet and download e-mails at the many WIFI hotspots that are now springing up all over the place. The app store is also available on the Ipod Touch so you can download all manner of cool things.

All this functionality is not really available on the original Ipod so for me the touch offer so much more . As far as I know apart from the ability to make phone calls, send text messages and access the internet via 3G the touch does everything else that the Iphone does.

I upgraded to a Touch from a Nano about a month ago and I love it. If the person wants an ipod go for it. If the person wants a new phone, then consider going for an iphone. I don't see the point in moaning about missing functionality. It is a good ipod in my opinion. It's also a very cool and fun gadget.

Mine should be arriving any day now. The problem in our house was the amount of cd racks around the place and the little lad just thinks its great fun to try and pull them over so it was time to make the step forward. The way I see it is that with the docking bay we have ordered it will be like having a juke box in your living room plus it will make more room given the amount of cd's that will go and live in the loft.

My only thing is that it will never leave the house. There is no way that I would take that around with me outside in fear that the expensive little fella would be lost or broken. My £35 mp3 player does just fine for that.

That's good news, thanks guys. The only reviews I read where quite negative but there's nothing like the opinions of everyday users as against the people who simply do the review and then move on.............it may well be moving up the present list.

Also what you should remember is that some reviewers wil decide that they already hate something before they get their hands on it and then nit pick over every little thing. You cant beat the more personal review if you ask me. Take gaming. I can read an article in a mag and they will slate it. I will play the demo and it turn out to be quite good.

Why not head down to the local gadget shop and ask for a demo first - after all it is allot of money for a music player (glad I am buying mine with vouchers :P )

I got the 32Gb one recently and love it, upgraded from a 30Gb Ipod 5.5G. The interface is obviously quite different from the usual ipod one but you soon get used to it.

The battery can drain a bit if you leave things like the wireless running for no reason. The wireless has had it's problems too, which seem to be quite common. If you turn on the ipod then turn on wireless it picks up your connection but you don't get net access. So to get it to work you have to fully turn off the ipod (with wireless switched on), turn it back on and it's works no problems. It seems fine if you turn wireless off and only put the ipod into standby, fully turning the ipod off means you'll have to go through that process again. That's the only niggle I've had.

Things like google maps and youtube work very well. I even noticed the other day that you now get live traffic views (for congestion etc). It even caches some of the map for offline use.

One handy little shortcut I found (don't like to read manuals :) ) is if you want to change your music whilst your in another app just double tap the Home button.

One thing I'm yet to buy for it though is a case, I'm having to use the one from my old ipod as the cheap gits didn't even provide one with it!

• 3 years later...

Figured this would be as good a place as any to ask this so here goes nothing.

I'm a moron and restored by jailbroken 2g ipod touch with broken power button and now I can't re jailbreak it. I've tried everything imaginable (including modding about 6 different versions of firmware folders to get it into dfu mode.) Anyone with any help in any way would be greatly appreciated.

Archived