• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

----------------Cruz----Benni

--------------------Carlos

----Pedersen---Grella---Emerton

Warnock---Samba---Nelsen---Simpson

------------------Robinson

I sort of stole this off someone in another thread but to be honest it is probably our best bet to try and contain Villa.

Full backs would look to play as flat as possible, a shame becuase they are both good going forward but we can't let the Villa wide men get in behind. Pedersen, Grella and Emerton would look to stay narrow and out work Barry, Sidwell and Petrov. Essentially we would be looking for Benni, Carlos and Cruz to work something themselves up front with little support, but hopefully due to their combined skill not an unreasonable expectation. One of them will need to be looking to drop off to provide the width so we are not too narrow in attack. If Benni is not fit Roberts pace and power could be a good option.

It is vital we sit back in this game. If we commit players forward Villa will tear us apart. I am particularly worried about O'Neill targeting Nelsen with pace. Ideally you would like Samba to be the guy looking to pick up the quick players but since he is going to be needed to mark Carew in the air the Kiwi is going to have to deal with the runners coming in narrow from the wings. In a foot race between him, Ablanghor or Young he is not going to stand a chance. We cannot leave him exposed.

A point would be a tremendous result but I can only really see us losing to be honest. O'Neill has done a great job in giving Villa a variety of options. They have pace, a good target man, decent set pieces, goals and quality distribution in midifield, so they can hurt us in number of different ways. The one thing that maybe lack a bit of is genuine width as Young and Ablanghor like to come narrow to support Carew so packing that midfield area could help our cause.

Oh, and there is utterly no point in playing Derbyshire of 4231 in this one for me. He will take away midfield solidarity and won't hurt the well drilled Villa defence.

Benni McCarthy has to start IMO. He has shown that he wants it in his last 2 appearances and got a goal at the weekend which should help him. Him and Santa could be deadly together if they play with each other regularly so hopefully that begins as of tomorrow. Will be disappointing if Grella misses out as it is likely to mean Warnock will stay in the middle for definite even though he should be at left back. The team I would like to see tomorrow:

Robinson

Simpson Samba Nelsen Warnock

Emerton Andrews Grella/Tugay Villanueva

McCarthy Santa Cruz

I know people don't like seeing Carlos on the wing but if we are to play our strongest XI that is the best place for him but as long as Emerton stays wide Carlos should be able to drift more and have a free role similar to what Bentley was doing on occasions last season. And plus he will do better there than Derbs! Andrews I feel is the best partner for Grella in the middle and should mean more support for the strikers. He is the only midfielder we have without Dunn who will get forward and look to score. The other option would be to play a diamond with Carlos up top but that doesn't happen in the Premier League and would be a risk to try it against a strong Villa side.

With the news that Grella is a doubt, I think this is feasible.

Robinson

Simpson--Samba--Nelsen--Olsson

Emerton--Tugay--Warnock--Villanueva

McCarthy--Santa

But I think this could be equally possible:

Robinson

Derbyshire--Emerton--Warnock--Pedersen/Villanueva

McCarthy--Santa

Or even:

Robinson

Santa--Emerton--Warnock--Pedersen

Villanueva

McCarthy

good news that Samba is back, but no so good that Grella might be missing, i thought he was our man of the match on saturday, and would be a huge blow for Rovers if he was missing for this one.

i am going a 1-1 draw, fingers crossed

Grella is doubtful because of a hamstring problem according to Radio Lancs.

I thought Grella clearly tired during the match; Emerton played very well again especially in centre midfield which i think is his best position.

Think we need energy, grit, hard work and sheer determination for this one. That's why I am not sure I would start Benni - would keep him for the West Brom game, where we should be on the front foot for the majority of the match (well, you would hope so).

At Ewood last season, Villa were the best team to play against Rovers. Carew beat Samba all ends up which allowed him to hold the ball up and their fast players to play off him and highlight Rovers lack of pace at the back. I think Ooijer's experience rather than Samba's strength will be essential to avoid a similar outcome tonight.

I hope that Warnock returns to left back tonight as Villa's pace up front could catch Olsson out but with Grella doubtful I suspect Warnock will be in centre midfield. If this is the case, then Pedersen needs to play left side midfield to give Olsson cover.

I'm going to say 1-1 draw but I fear if Rovers go behind we could get a bit of a drubbing.

Best team at ewood? Id disagree, 4-0 flattered them and they didnt deserve that score, they got a lot of luck. 2-0 would of been much fairer, and im sure O'Neill admitted that at the end of the game.

The problem with our defence is that if Samba is marking Carew, Nelsen isnt good enough to handle agbonlawhore or Young. Hes just too slow!

Olson is quicker than warnock - so why would he get shown up with pace, yet warnock wouldnt?

I think we should play Simpson - Ooijer/ Zurab - Samba - Olson and make sure our full backs are disciplined - if they are then we have the pace at full back to keep up.

The problem with our defence is that if Samba is marking Carew, Nelsen isnt good enough to handle agbonlawhore or Young. Hes just too slow!

Olson is quicker than warnock - so why would he get shown up with pace, yet warnock wouldnt? Experience - Olsson has a habit of jumping in and getting caught. Remember the second goal against Man U. He'll learn but needs more time.

I think we should play Simpson - Ooijer/ Zurab - Samba - Olson and make sure our full backs are disciplined - if they are then we have the pace at full back to keep up. Two young full backs which means that over 90 minutes one will make a mistake due to their inexperience

Agbonlanwhore got injured tonight and left on a stretcher. Hope he gets back soon, but not until after this game....

Ha the images eh - see here Abbey in Pink

was pinker than that haha...it was true matalan.

Interesting to read the preview piece from your perspective.

Ticket prices - As a regular at Villa away games £31 seems reasonable and not out of line with what we have to pay on our travels for instance £30 for Newcastle and £35 for Arsenal are two of our upcoming away games. I would be interested to know what the cost in the away end at Ewood is this year? As I understand it they are between £26 and £32 so not sure how you can complain at £31.

quite easy maty,I wont pay £30+ and if it wasnt for my season ticket I wouldnt pay it @ ewood .I dont care what the price is in the away end becuase if it is ove r30 i wouldnt pay it ,simple as.

BBC say santa cruz not in the squad, please someone tell me this is not true??

mistake on there part i thinks.

team i would pick

Robinson,

Simpson, Samba, Nelsen, Warnock,

Emerton, Andrews, Grella,

Villanueva,

McCarthy, Cruz

subs

Derbyshire, Pedersen, Olsson, Brown, Tugay, Khizanishvili, Treacy.

i think this is a game where we need someone like andrews. just to disrupt there game. CM looks a man short (maybe 70mins in take andrews off if tired, Olsson on, warnock CM).

i dont wanna say rovers will lose, but i would not expect to win away from home againt the 5th best team in the league atm.

score: 2-2

Archived