BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The 2-1 Villa Preview Thread

Flopsy

Hughesy theres no way Nelsen will be dropped.

I know that - thats the problem we have! Ince has shown he isnt afraid to drop players, but I cant ever see him dropping him. I think he is one of the invincibles aslong as fit, along with RSC & Robinson.

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i think this is a game where we need someone like andrews. just to disrupt there game. CM looks a man short (maybe 70mins in take andrews off if tired, Olsson on, warnock CM).

Disrupt how? Have you seen him play? He's occasionally neat and tidy when we're in possession but when we haven't got the ball he becomes irrelevant just jogging around with that strange running style of his.

Looking forward to this, I think we'll get a 1-1 draw.

Disrupt how? Have you seen him play? He's occasionally neat and tidy when we're in possession but when we haven't got the ball he becomes irrelevant just jogging around with that strange running style of his.

Looking forward to this, I think we'll get a 1-1 draw.

Disrupt how ? by getting the ball back from the other teamm :o !

Have you seen him play? yes

we all know hes not the best player in the world. but this is the type of game ince has got him here for.

box-to box player thats not scared to get his foot in. which is what is needed tonite.imo

Disrupt how ? by getting the ball back from the other teamm :o !

Have you seen him play? yes

we all know hes not the best player in the world. but this is the type of game ince has got him here for.

box-to box player thats not scared to get his foot in. which is what is needed tonite.imo

I'd be nervous about Andrews against Villa. In most games, Andrews has mis-timed at least one tackle and tonight we come up against at least three players who I would say are amongst the fastest feet in the League.

We are overdue a red card- the yellows are clocking up nicely though!

I'd be nervous about Andrews against Villa. In most games, Andrews has mis-timed at least one tackle and tonight we come up against at least three players who I would say are amongst the fastest feet in the League.

We are overdue a red card- the yellows are clocking up nicely though!

'In most games'. Once philipl, get your facts right.

OK in every appearance by Andrews I have seen (and I have not seen two of Rovers games this season), he has seriously mis-timed at least one tackle.

How many yellow cards has he had? He's played in 5 games, 2 starting and 3 sub appearances. He has one yellow card for the one badly timed challenge (after he slipped!) against Fulham. I'd do a bit more research before you state that. Badly mistimed challenges = yellow cards.

Andrews is not a tackling midfielder. Or if he's meant to be, he's even worse than I thought.

I'd go for a midfield of Pedersen (no alternative), Grella (is he fit?), Warnock and Emerton with Benni and RSC up front. Problem is the lack of creativity but we're away from home against a decent side and balance and solidity are important.

Tugay must play tonight we will need his passing ability to break down Villa. Benni has earned a start IMO alongside RSC although I still have reservations over them as a pairing. Its a pity they have never clicked it could be quite spectacular, I hope Ince tells Benni not to drop deep and to play ahead of RSC if thats how he goes.

I am expecting us to start 451 with villa off RSC and then tug's grella behind with Warnock moving back to LB and Olsson on the wing.

Will Ooijer be RB though, I'm assuming Samba is back?

Tugay must play tonight we will need his passing ability to break down Villa. Benni has earned a start IMO alongside RSC although I still have reservations over them as a pairing. Its a pity they have never clicked it could be quite spectacular, I hope Ince tells Benni not to drop deep and to play ahead of RSC if thats how he goes.

I am expecting us to start 451 with villa off RSC and then tug's grella behind with Warnock moving back to LB and Olsson on the wing.

Will Ooijer be RB though, I'm assuming Samba is back?

Ooijer against Young is asking for trouble.

In this match it's absolutely critical that we pass the ball around and don't simply chip everything forward to Santa Cruz like we have been doing. Villa are probably the strongest aerial team in the division, they'd just soak up everything and eventually exploit our lack of pace with Young and Agbonlahor.

I'd be really tempted to move Warnock back to full-back for this, I think we need someone with more technical ability in there as opposed to raw determination and energy. I'd like to see us line-up like...

..................Robinson

Simpson Samba Nelsen Warnock

.............Grella...Tugay

....Emerton Villanueva Pedersen

................Santa Cruz

I have a feeling that we'll play a more orthodox 4-4-2 to accommodate both Roque and McCarthy though, probably at the expense of Pedersen with Villanueva going out on the left. Warnock will probably still play in the centre with Tugay on the bench, but I don't think it's going to be his sort of game in there.

Each game is a new tactical experience for Ince as he learns how the opposition plays. That’s why I expect next season to be Ince's real season as it were when he stamps his authority down on the team, knows who his best eleven is week in week out and the style of football/formation he wants to play.

I have fears for tonight because of what Ince has said recently about being more clinical and attacking. It’s obvious that we haven’t found the right balance yet. At the beginning of the season we were too gung-ho and our defence was leaky and exposed. Then we saw our defence look far more solid but weren’t creating and putting away the chances we made for ourselves.

I can just see us attacking and getting hit on the counter, something you shouldn’t be really doing against Villa.

It’s going to take time for Ince to find the right balance.

Thought Grella was unlikely to play due to injury?

Ooijer against Young is suicidal.

I have to agree that Ooijer cannot play against Young.

With the formation Le Chuck has put out I think we could end up with the same problems in terms of supporting our front men. I could see Pedersen and Emerton playing too deep as they would be worried about Villa's pace out wide and Cruz would be isolated.

Time to switch back to 442 for me or 4312. I don't like Carlos or Derbyshire on the left, need to bring Pedersen back or start Treacy.

My worry with tonight is we have drawn the last two games and drawing sequences always tend to continue or end in defeat.

The way to win is strike at the achiles heal of the one we know well ;) ... the MO for tonight should be to get Freekicks around the edge of the box and get our Chilean maestro to strut his stuff.

My worry with tonight is we have drawn the last two games and drawing sequences always tend to continue or end in defeat.

The way to win is strike at the achiles heal of the one we know well ;) ... the MO for tonight should be to get Freekicks around the edge of the box and get our Chilean maestro to strut his stuff.

And not give away set pieces around the box as that's where Villa are lethal.

Archived