BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football`s Biggst Rivalries

cletus

Just seen this on virgin media website & thought i`d pass it on.....

football`s great rivalries

Rovers & Bumley get a mention......although i thought the 'coffin' was a Rovers/Nob End thing they did in Houghton or Higher Walton (that area)

The coffin thing is definitely a Rovers/Preston thing. It's in Bamber Bridge and here is an article that talks about it.

The coffin is kept in the cellar of the Trades Club in Bamber Bridge and is raised or lowered whenever Rovers or North End are promoted or relegated respectively. There is a procession carrying the coffin led by the 'Bishop of Brig'. Visit the Top House, Station Road, Bamber Bridge where the walls are adorned with memorabilia of past events.

Incidentally, in my Grandad's day Rovers would play Bolton and Preston on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. So rivalries do change. I would like to see North End in the Prem, more so than Bolton or Wigan.

I went to "an evening with Simon Garner" at the hordens a few years back (& a good night it was too!)

He denied involvement with the plane stunt. He also denied the rumour he wore a rovers top under his west brom top....to reveal it in front of the burnley fans when he scored in front of them. He also denied having a quick fag at half time too.

Pity....all legendary things to have done

the banner said "STAYING DOWN FOR EVER, LOVE ROVERS" amd simon garner said he didnt do it but he wishes he did as it was a great idea.

Quality I had a different banner in my head but that works to. I am not convinced the plane would be able to lift off with my version.

Well done to whoever did it, step forward Mr Garner.

I lived in Sabden back then, hadn't been listening to the radio and when I walked into the Pendle Witch for the last hour I found the locals who had been to the match absolutely apoplectic with rage. Best and funniest craic I ever had in that village. :lol:

the banner said "STAYING DOWN FOR EVER, LOVE ROVERS" amd simon garner said he didnt do it but he wishes he did as it was a great idea.

It said "STAYING DOWN 4 EVER, LOVE ROVERS" in reference to Division 4.

It also spawned the song "Flying" which was handed out to some supporters at the turnstiles of a home game not long after.

Sad thing is - would appear for many people on here - the rivalry between certain "fans" and PI is greater than that with Burnley.

Agreed. I would also wager that those on here who call Rovers 'Blackburn' and Rovers fans as 'Blackburn fans' have never set foot in either Ewood Park or Turf Moor for an East Lancs derby. :o

we had t shirts made with it on "blackburn rovers flying club" and we convinced 2 norwegian beauties we was airline pilots hahaha (and yes i did ) hahhaha

Archived