BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Derbyshire

Hughesy

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm officially in the Derbyshire camp now. Here we have a homegrown English 22 year old talent who has supported Blackburn since childhood, who scores for the English Under 21: s and a Champions League team alike. If we don't have any use of a player like that I don't see how we justify having an academy at all?

The guy scores a few goals in a relatively substandard league - with the help of some shocking officiating - and now suddenly everyone wants him back. This was the same player whose naivety cost us three points against Man.City. It sounds like Derbs was offloaded as a make-weight for the Diouf deal. I know who we need more.

The guy scores a few goals in a relatively substandard league - with the help of some shocking officiating - and now suddenly everyone wants him back. This was the same player whose naivety cost us three points against Man.City. It sounds like Derbs was offloaded as a make-weight for the Diouf deal. I know who we need more.

Seriously, ONE mistake and he's not good enough? Who in our squad, or in the club's history for that matter, has not made mistakes that has cost us points (some much dearer than the ones from the City game I might add)? You could even argue about it being that much of a mistake, if I remember it correctly he didn't lose the ball as much as trying to score a goal instead of going down to the corner flag.

You do know there's a world of difference between U-21 football, Greek football, and then our very own Premiership?

I'm just saying: People have short memories. And I think you're blinkered by the fact he's a local lad.

A player like Derbyshire is no use to our current manager - if he was then he'd be in front of Samba in the pecking order to play up front. As it is, Derbyshire is on loan in Greece and the colossal centre half is going to save our season by being stuck on the end of endless punts into the opposition box (79 such balls as BFS has so proudly published in the stats from the WH game).

Bulldozers and basketball players is what's needed here, and Matt Derbyshire isn't either.

A player like Derbyshire is no use to our current manager - if he was then he'd be in front of Samba in the pecking order to play up front. As it is, Derbyshire is on loan in Greece and the colossal centre half is going to save our season by being stuck on the end of endless punts into the opposition box (79 such balls as BFS has so proudly published in the stats from the WH game).

Bulldozers and basketball players is what's needed here, and Matt Derbyshire isn't either.

...for now.

He wasn't any good to our last manager either. Nor was anyone else.

I'm officially in the Derbyshire camp now. Here we have a homegrown English 22 year old talent who has supported Blackburn since childhood, who scores for the English Under 21: s and a Champions League team alike. If we don't have any use of a player like that I don't see how we justify having an academy at all?

Derbs didn't come through the academy. So we're still scratching around for a justification for the present academy.

What I'm most disappointed about Derbyshire is that no manager at Rovers seems to have worked on his game. Maybe they've tried and it hasn't worked? We all know he can finish, we all know that he has tremendous mental strength to keep going for goal after missing horrendously. However, his support play is woefully post-injuries Michael Owen-esque.

There is a school of thought that says that a striker who scores poacher goals but cannot do anything else is one of the first names on an ideal team-sheet. However, that striker has to be pretty prolific to justify being included in the starting line-up.

In fairness to Matty in the first half he got no service whatsoever and England were outclassed by the French.

Not just no service. You began to wonder if the poor guy had strong BO or something because most of the time he was on the pitch there wasn't another English player within 40 yards of him.

Surely he knew Derbs can't play on his own up front? Obviously not. You would expect someone, who has seen plenty of Derbs, to have known that.

More like surely he knows Derbyshire is no good against teams of a high quality.

I can't believe that these managers think that Derbyshire is capable of being a fulcrum in a team.

To Rovers fans, it is the most obvious thing that he can't play right wing or lone forward.

In fact, it's obvious that, against good opposition, he can't do anything outside of the penalty box.

I can't believe that these managers think that Derbyshire is capable of being a fulcrum in a team.

To Rovers fans, it is the most obvious thing that he can't play right wing or lone forward.

In fact, it's obvious that, against good opposition, he can't do anything outside of the penalty box.

What Big Sam said tonight about Matty was,

1. he wanted first team football

2. Derbyshire moving out allowed some financial room for Givet and Diuff to come in.

3. You cannot carry someone in a team in todays game that can only score goals, they have to be able to contribute to the team when the team is out of possesion.

Archived