SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] West Brom Preview

colin

Saturday 1st November at The Hawthorns

Well I took this one on late in the day, and cobbled this together

The good people from

http://www.baggies.com/

Couldn’t be arsed to reply to my e-mail asking for a Q & A. So sod them.

I have a feeling that I’m repeating myself a bit here from a few years ago but what the heck.

A bit of recent Baggie history

2002 promoted to the Premiership

2003 relegated

2004 promoted

2005 stayed up

2006 relegated

2007 lost in the play off final to Derby. stayed down

2008 promoted on the last game of the season with a 2 -0 win over QPR .

So it’s a bit like a Burnley girl’s knickers at a family re-union. Pretty much non- stop up and down .

Albion were one of the founding members of The Football League in 1888 along with us. The club won

the league once in 1919-1920, and have won the FA Cup 5 times.

The Baggies have been pretty much loyal to their shirt since 1889

historic shirts

The 1882 shirt is pretty

(Did you spot the sturdy chaps at the top of that page?)

On March 16th 2002 Albion were involved in one of the more unusual incidents in the modern era.

They led 3-0 at Bramhall Lane after 82 minutes when the ref was forced to abandon the game.

United had three players sent off and then another two were unable to continue because of injury,

As United were down to six players the ref had no option.

The wikipedia page is Here

Recent results between Rovers and Albion nearly have a symmetry about them

05-06

2-0 to us at Ewood

2-0 to them at The Hawthorns

04-05

1-1 at Ewood

1-1 at The Hawthorns

02-03

1-1 at Ewood

2-0 to us at The Hawthorns

00-01 (old division 1)

1-0 to us at Ewood

1-0 to them at The Hawthorns

Trivia.

Simon Garner moved to Albion when he left us

Jason Roberts played for Albion before moving to Wigan

Ray Harford managed Albion after he left Rovers

Ossie Ardiles played for us 1988-89 and managed Albion 1992-93

The third of our (yet to be repeated) consecutive FA Cup wins in 1886 was a 2-0 against Albion. This was after a replay at The Racecourse

Ground in Derby after an original 0-0 at The Kennington Oval.

There will probably be two Paul Robinsons on the pitch. Albions' left back has the same name too. Ours is taller and heavier (by the best part of 3 stone)

They have also got a "Pele" in the squad

and

Andrade Filipe Teixeira

Bartosz Slusarski

Gianna Zuiverloon

Abdoulaye Meite

Iglesias Borja Valero

Carl Hoefkens

Maybe Tony Mowbray is a keen Scrabble player.

The full squad is Here

Mowbray has bought no less than 11 players since Albion were promoted. Three of the back four that shipped three goals to

Hull on Saturday were the new signings. The starting 11 on that day was Carson ; Zuiverloon , Donk , Olsson ,

Robinson ; Valero; Koren; Morrison; Greening ; Miller & Bednar .

I'm sure you'll all want to join me in wishing Albion all the best for their next game.

Midweek at St James' Park

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm catching the train up to the Hawthorns as its not too far for me.

Anyone know of any decent pubs for away fans near the ground?

I remember going in a pub really close to the ground a few years ago, dont think its really meant for away fans though.

Unsure what to do on sat, weather to try that again or just drink in the city centre and catch the train from Moor street/snow hill to the hawthorns.

I'm catching the train up to the Hawthorns as its not too far for me.

Anyone know of any decent pubs for away fans near the ground?

The Vine is pretty popular with locals and visiting fans...It's got a curry house inside as well...

The Vine is pretty popular with locals and visiting fans...It's got a curry house inside as well...

If it's anything like it used to be, it does an excellent ruby ! By far the best thing that happened to me last time we played them at the hawthorns as we were absolutely rubbish!

If it's anything like it used to be, it does an excellent ruby ! By far the best thing that happened to me last time we played them at the hawthorns as we were absolutely rubbish!

I was at that match as well... :huh::huh: ...we were pretty aweful.. :lol:

I hope to get the supporters coach but am only 16- is this a problem? Am half thinking of buying it off my Brothers season ticket as he'd 18, but not sure - when do you book the coach tickets? Will I get ID'd as I get on or when I purchase a ticket?

I've got my train booked straight up to the Hawthorns so won't be in Brum for a few beers Shorty, like the sound of the Vine though, sounds like a good option.

As there are 4 of us going from Hereford I managed to get a group discount on the train. £6.30 return... happy days!!!

I've got my train booked straight up to the Hawthorns so won't be in Brum for a few beers Shorty, like the sound of the Vine though, sounds like a good option.

As there are 4 of us going from Hereford I managed to get a group discount on the train. £6.30 return... happy days!!!

Fair enough.

May head straight to The Vine myself yet if its near the hawthornes train station.

Bit of info off www.footballgroundguide.com

There are no pubs for away fans that are particularly close to the ground. Huw Morris, a West Brom fan, recommends 'The Vine' which is about a 20 minute walk from the ground. From Junction 1 of the M5 turn left towards West Bromwich town centre (opposite direction to the ground). Take the first left into Roebuck Street. The Vine is down on the left. You can also street park in this area and walk to the ground. This pub also does Indian food and has an indoor tandoori barbeque (from 1pm on Saturdays), plus has a beer garden with children's play area.

If you continue towards West Bromwich going over a small mini roundabout, then on the right just before the lights is the Desi Junction pub. This Asian run pub does an excellent 'Balti Buffet'. For £4.95 per adult, you can each as much as you like and I found the food to be pretty good. The buffet is available all day on a Saturday and you can wash it down with a pint of Cobra beer.

Sean Mowat a visiting Sheffield United supporter adds; 'As you pass the ground on the right on the main Birmingham Road. Carry on about another half a mile and there is a pub on the right set back off the road called the Royal Oak. We've been in the last two times we've visited WBA. The beer is okay and they also serve Asian food (try the chicken kebabs!). It had a friendly atmosphere'.

Desi Junction sounds ideal. £4.95 for all you can eat!!!

After watching the game tonight i agree with Frosty.

Newcastle sat back 2nd half and allowed wba to play some decent stuff although most of their chances fell to Morrison who obviously went to the Jase Roberts school of shooting.

Their defence is weak and with Carson in the sticks who i think is useless, you can see why they have conceded a lot of goals. The Martins header should of been saved, i couldn't believe he wasn't already over that side of the goal before it took a deflection and took the pace of it and helped it to be closer to him but instead it just bounced past him and then he rolled over when the ball was already in the net!

Did not expect to get anything out of the Villa game to be fair.

However, this game is now turning into a big one. Have to beat the teams in and around us in the table. Also, the fixture list does not look too great for us if you look ahead....

As I said in the Villa thread, at least we're playing a team who feel just as sorry for theirselves as we appear to. Both managers have been harping on about how their teams are playing brilliant stuff but not scoring enough and getting the results their play deserves.

This is a HUGE game. Lose this and we have big trouble with, as John said, an extremely difficult fixture list coming up.

Game is more important now after todays result. A win could take us in to the top half of the table. Current 2 points separates us from 13tha dn 7th place in the league, so a couple of wins on the bounce could see us climb the table. West Brom play some good football, I watched them against Newcastle Yesterday and seem a decent footballing outfit with the resources they have. Ismael Miller looks a good striker, would be a great tussle between him and Samba. Looking for a 4-4-2 Formation in this game because it is one we can win. Hopefully, we won't underestimate them and come out with 3 points.

Archived