BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season On Season Comparison

Ricky

After all the Ince slating and the moaning about the season so far, it's probably worth comparing this seasons results with last seasons. If you look at teh teams we have played so far and compare the results with last season it's really not that bad. I've replaced Hull with Derby (as they both came up via the play offs).

07/08 - 15 Points

08/09 - 12 Points

So we're only actually 3 points off where we were last season. Surely that's not too much to pull back and get us back on track is it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

08/09 12 pts

07/08 21 pts

06/07 12 pts

05/06 14 pts

04/05 6 pts

03/04 8 pts

So it's not the worst start we've had to a campaign by any stretch of the imagination.

Also Ince's first 10 league games have resulted in 12 pts, Hughes' resulted in 9 pts.

Let's give the fella a chance.

Very interesting indeed Ricky. Of course we can throw out caveats about the level of opposition, the standard of the relative squads etc, but it must be said Ince's Rovers seem about bang on par for this time of the season.

The worry in a sense is how well we usually do in the second half of the season, we tend to finish very strongly. Magnum will need to work very hard to continue to keep up.

08/09 12 pts

07/08 21 pts

06/07 12 pts

05/06 14 pts

04/05 6 pts

03/04 8 pts

So it's not the worst start we've had to a campaign by any stretch of the imagination.

Also Ince's first 10 league games have resulted in 12 pts, Hughes' resulted in 9 pts.

Let's give the fella a chance.

I think the difference was that we could sort of see what was happening with improvement on improvement most of the time (except last season)

With Ince its all still very confusing and IMO he doesn't appear to be learning very quickly and at times appears to be going backwards

I think the difference was that we could sort of see what was happening with improvement on improvement most of the time (except last season)

With Ince its all still very confusing and IMO he doesn't appear to be learning very quickly and at times appears to be going backwards

I would disagree with that. The team performances are improving game after game. Yes, there were defensive lapses yesterday but in previous matches that had massively improved. We scored 2 goals yesterday and thats an improvement, we played a very good team off the park although we didn't win. The passing and movement of the team is getting better. It takes time to get things right. There will be steps back but gradually Ince seems to be putting his ideas and methods across. Defensively there were lapses by top class players yesterday, it happens and it happened under Hughes and Souness. Rovers just need to put it all together. The only bit that is concerning me is something Ince can do little about and that is the strikers not scoring enough goals. Roque is injured again, Benni is getting fit after being overweight and that takes time, Roberts seems to have lost his way a bit and Derbyshire isn't getting there right now. Get Benni fit and Roque healed and we will have a pretty decent package with just a couple of decent additions (right wing).

I would disagree with that. The team performances are improving game after game.

Respect what you are saying Crazy but I think you may be one of a few that think that.

Some of the inter play has been good without achieving anything but overall our general play I would say has been indifferent IMO and I think the results reflect that.

I just can't stop thinking Paula Abdul at the moment- 'one step forwards , two steps back ' .. but then again there is nothing wrong with thinking about Paula Abdul ;)

When you consider that we fully deserved a win at 'Boro and, by all accounts, at least a draw against Villa, we could be up at 15 points and in seventh place. Ince's luck will turn around soon and the attractive football that we seem to be playing will start bringing victories.

The problem is another 3-4 clubs have gotten financing that have pushed them above our level. So it's not really what we're doing, but that our chances of doing good are being limited.

But that happens every season.

So far only Chelsea have used their financing to push to a level beyond us on the football field.

The flip side is that there are two clubs who did receive financing and are now de-financing as fast as they can: Pompey and West Ham- and at the moment we are below both of them.

I just can't stop thinking Paula Abdul at the moment- 'one step forwards , two steps back ' .. but then again there is nothing wrong with thinking about Paula Abdul ;)

Didn't she take two steps forward and two steps back. I'm sure that's how the song went.

Well Chelsea joined the Big 4 and have won things. None of the others have.

None of the others have formed even a permanent second level beneath the Big 4.

Ok, I understand that now. I think Mr E. meant the level of financing rather than the differeing levels in the Premier League, i.e. top 4.

The point I am making is that there is a world of difference between having a shed load of money and being able to use it.

That has consistently left a top ten position for Rovers which is where the benchmark is to judge Ince against this season.

The things RSC has said actually makes European qualification imperative.

Don't forget that we got off to a good start last season mainly down to the intertoto. Normally we start seasons badly and finish very strongly!

Yeah didn't we have a really good start and then a really bad patch like december time? If we can keep playing like we are doing but finish our chances then we are going to get plenty of points. Even if we are going through a bad patch now, there is still time to pick it up and improve our game from xmas onwards and catch other teams like we did a few times under Hughes. Every team will have a bad patch and I for one think it is only a matter of time before we pass the likes of Hull on our way up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived