BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] World League Cup

T4E

I think it's probably the Stanford Twenty/20 that's got me thinking about this, but I have been wondering about the viability of a "World League Cup" in which the 16/32 best leagues in the World would be represented by teams containing players picked from those that currently play within that league. A World Cup format based over a month or so, but instead team affiliation being based on place of birth, it is based on where the players play.

So, as an extension to that, I was wondering three things -

1) What would be your squad (and starting 11) to represent the Premiership?

2) Which league do you think would win based on the quality of players based there?

and 3) Which league would be the dark horse - perhaps somewhere that does not have the best International side, but would be able to form a decent side under these conditions?

There used to be League International representative matches.

FIFA/UEFA would die a thousand deaths rather than let the Premier League put a representative side onto a football pitch!

That said, seeing EPL v La Liga v Serie A in a round robbin tournament would be vastly more appealing than things like the World Club Championship.

There used to be League International representative matches.

FIFA/UEFA would die a thousand deaths rather than let the Premier League put a representative side onto a football pitch!

That said, seeing EPL v La Liga v Serie A in a round robbin tournament would be vastly more appealing than things like the World Club Championship.

I didn't know that? Can't find anything on Wiki either, but then I'm not sure what to search for.

Of course, the whole football World would be far too precious to entertain any such idea, unless of course there was a rich businessman behind it or millions of pounds of TV money to be made.

Maybe it's not that far-fetched after all.

EDIT: Agree with the EPL - La Liga - Serie A point, I guess overall the point is the lack of an "All-Star" type game/series that exists in many other sports and is usually pretty entertaining, inoffensive fun.

It would be very interesting, and like someone else said, far more meaningful than the World Club Championship. Not sure what team I'd have mind, probably...

...............Cech

Bosingwa Terry Vidic Cole

....Fabregas Mascherano

Ronaldo Lampard Rooney

..............Torres

Way back they used to play league representative matches occasionally. I remember the Rovers half back line (as it was then termed) of Clayton-Woods-McGrath once being selected. McGrath is of course Irish.

2)Spain

Casillas

Ramos Puyol Pepe Alves

Xavi Sneijder Van Der Vaart

Villa Aguero Messi

SUBS: Valdes, Eto, Cannavaro, Capel

3)Italy

Buffon

Zanetti Cordoba Mexes Chivu

Gatusso Pirlo Kaka Ronaldinho

Ibrahimović Totti

SUBS: Cesar, Maicon, De Rossi, Cambiasso

It would be an AWESOME competition, actually even if you include

4)Germany

Adler

Rafinha, Lucio, Demichelis, Lahm,

Schweinsteiger, Kehl, Frings, Diego, Ribery

Gomez

Even France, Portugal and Holland would be able to include strong squads, throw in another team made up from Scotland, Greece, Belgium and Russia to round it off.

Archived