BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cricket (tests, Odi's And 20/20)

Good start by England - 3/29 in the eighth over (Broad taking all three, one off them an absolute dolly to Patel, at point). India wobbling at the moment... Good pressure by Broad and Anderson.

Has anyone seen todays pitch? :blink: Do Indian cricket association's, actually employ curator's?

A weak NSW team* bt NZ in the 4 day friendly, by 6 wickets. Moises Henriques taking match figures of 5/60 off 27 overs. Also chipped in with a half century in the first innings.

* Missing; Jaques, Katich, Clarke, Haddin, Lee, Clark, Bollinger & Bracken

EDIT: Btw - Josh Hayward enjoyed a good first class debut, with some neat bowling (4 wickets) and strong pace.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good start by England - 3/29 in the eighth over (Broad taking all three, one off them an absolute dolly to Patel, at point). India wobbling at the moment... Good pressure by Broad and Anderson.

Much better performance by Eng. Thought Broady played a blinder (bat and ball) - a bit annoyed he didn't get his five-for.

Plenty of time to turn this around..

Full credit to Yuvraj again, with back-to-back tons and also getting four wickets - If he doesn't get picked for the upcoming test series, then there is something dreadfully wrong with the Indian selection process.

Q. Whats he going to do with all these MOTM motorbikes?

Much better performance by Eng. Thought Broady played a blinder (bat and ball) - a bit annoyed he didn't get his five-for.

Plenty of time to turn this around..

Full credit to Yuvraj again, with back-to-back tons and also getting four wickets - If he doesn't get picked for the upcoming test series, then there is something dreadfully wrong with the Indian selection process.

Q. Whats he going to do with all these MOTM motorbikes?

The problem with Yuvraj is he always been top draw at ODI's but never steps up to the plate in Test Match conditions. With the recent retirements though you would think he is a shoe in.

The problem with Yuvraj is he always been top draw at ODI's but never steps up to the plate in Test Match conditions. With the recent retirements though you would think he is a shoe in.

Spot on.

IMV, Yuvraj has been around for over five years in the test arena and has never taken his role in the team, as his to hold. I think Yuvraj peaked at around his fifth test for India (pretty sure it was in the Pakistan series) and then slowly declined through inconsistent performances. It would be always hard for a younger batsman to cement his spot in the line-up, considering that the 'fab five' are always involved in some way or another (barring injury to one of them).

As a vying batsman, the only position that always seemed to be 'up for grabs' in recent years was the opener's slot. I know that they have tried various players for the last 6-7 years, when looking at the opening combination (i.e. Chopra, Gambhir & Jaffer). Although, I think it is safe to assume, that Gambhir has guaranteed his position in the team, at least for the foreseeable future.

Looking at the link below, most put his drop in test performances, down to lack of confidence and match focus, I am inclined to agree, as a few friends of mine (some from India and others based in India) seem to say the same thing. I know the selection process in India, is very political, but maybe he can play tests, with more confidence, now that he doesn't have to look over his shoulder?...

Chief selector Srikkanth believes that Yuvraj may have done enough to secure the last batters spot, recently vacated by Ganguly.

Hodge for Australia!!

I second those thoughts Nate. I was hoping that Hodge would get the recall into the squad (in India), to replace the injured Jaques. He has performed very well lately and in all honesty and never deserved to be dropped (completely from the squad), three or so years ago, after the SA series.

On the current XI - I am a little concerned on Hayden's patchy form and not at all happy on Haddin's frequent lack of concentration and his necessity to give his wicket away cheaply (on giving away cheap wickets, he hasn't been the only one either <_< ). Personally, I would have Hussey & Katich as openers and slot Hodge in at 2nd drop, giving Hayden a one test rest.

Actually very surprised that the Gabba wicket is this 'spicy'... This test is very much poised on tomorrow morning's session before lunch.

EDIT: On another note - Michael Kasprowicz retired today.. The last of Australia's 'old guard' bowling attack (MacGill [208 Wkts], Warne [708], Gillespie [259], McGrath [563] & Kasprowicz [113]).

I second those thoughts Nate. I was hoping that Hodge would get the recall into the squad (in India), to replace the injured Jaques. He has performed very well lately and in all honesty and never deserved to be dropped (completely from the squad), three or so years ago, after the SA series.

On the current XI - I am a little concerned on Hayden's patchy form and not at all happy on Haddin's frequent lack of concentration and his necessity to give his wicket away cheaply (on giving away cheap wickets, he hasn't been the only one either <_< ). Personally, I would have Hussey & Katich as openers and slot Hodge in at 2nd drop, giving Hayden a one test rest.

Actually very surprised that the Gabba wicket is this 'spicy'... This test is very much poised on tomorrow morning's session before lunch.

EDIT: On another note - Michael Kasprowicz retired today.. The last of Australia's 'old guard' bowling attack (MacGill [208 Wkts], Warne [708], Gillespie [259], McGrath [563] & Kasprowicz [113]).

Never been overly convinced by Hodge, still, if he's getting better scores than an incumbent, then he's got to have a chance.

Hayden, for me has lost it. They may give him one more chance, but if he fails in Adelaide, then he's gone. The real problem for the Aussies is Punters form, the way he gave his wicket in the second dig was criminal.

Aussie, the 'Gabba wicket was totally under prepared. In some suburbs they had more than 400mls of rain in six hours a couple of days before the start of the test, and more the evening before. The storms they had ripped off part of the canopy over the stands, so it's understandable that water got on the wicket.

Imagine how much carnage Bond would have caused if the selfish idiots in the IPL had allowed him to play

Deadly bowler, just plagued by constant injuries. Flopsy, don't get me started on those BCCI bureaucratic w*nkers again.. <_<:angry2:

The real problem for the Aussies is Punters form, the way he gave his wicket in the second dig was criminal.

Cheers dave and you're right, that top edge was criminal!!... I cannot fathom, why Punter would use a shot like that, on a pitch like this and especially at that time - asking for trouble and putting further pressure on the remaining batsmen. Symonds was a little silly too, as he was just starting to 'steady the ship' with Kato... IMV, Watson & Hussey were bloody unlucky to be given out (Hussey more so, as it clearly didn;t touch his bat :blink: ).

Did anyone notice the new technology being used on the batters 'nicks' through to the keeper? Channel 9 is now using FLIR (Forward Looking Infra-Red). Personally, I can barely pick up the 'heat transfer', from the bat-to-ball, but good thinking by them. I believe that Channel 9 was the first to adopt 'Hawkeye' (not saying this is reliable, just indicatively useful)...

EDIT: Another useful ton by Kato - Well done old boy! B)

Well done to Katich 131not out. Carried his bat as well.

His somewhat unothordox style has me thinking that he's just about to be out LBW, the way he walks across.

Bing has just got his 300th test wicket.

It's a long haul for the K1W15. could be over within three days!

Good win by the Aussies against the Kiwi's in the first test. Surprisingly, Nathan Hauritz now looks in contention for the spinners spot in 2nd test that begins in Adelaide tomorrow. ‘Crazy’ Krejza has been injured in training and will be given a very late fitness test by the physio, to prove that he can play (looks unlikely though)

Personally, Dan Cullen would have been a better choice IMV. After all this is his home wicket.. It now looks like Aus will have some choice for the next Ashes series, with Casson, Krejza, Hauritz & Cullen the frontline spinners (IMO I don't think McGain will be ready, bearing in mind his injury and age)

I see Eng, put up a better fight in yesterday’s 5th ODI, but still fell short, despite a decent performance by KP and Shah. 5-0 down with two more to go... might be an idea to bring back players like Bell & Anderson, to get them ready for the upcoming 1st test, as this series is a write-off…

On a sad note - Not too sure what is going to happen with the rest of this tour, considering the horrific scenes in Mumbai last night and today. Absolute chaos and the death toll still rising… Currently at 126 I believe. :o:(

This 20/20 tournament is going to be interesting, anytime anything like this geenrally happens players pull out of tours stating dangerous conditions, now that we are talking 20/20 and the money that will be invloved what will the cricketers do?

So far Australia has banned its players from going, what do you think?

So far Australia has banned its players from going, what do you think?

Correct decision IMV. Until India (and Pakistan), sort out their internal security disputes, these risks are not worth taking by the cricket associations involved. This is irrespective of the fact, that 70% of current global cricket income derives from the Indian commercial market.

One of the hotels attacked was the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai, where the England squad stayed a fortnight ago and were due to return to on 16 December.

Former captain Michael Vaughan revealed he and the rest of the performance squad would have been in the hotel when it came under siege but for a late change of plans.

"All our white Test kit is in one of the rooms at the Taj Mahal," said Vaughan in his newspaper column.

"All the stuff was deposited there after England's two practice games in Mumbai at the start of this tour. That's how close the danger is.

"This week I was due to be in Mumbai with the rest of England's high performance squad. It was only at the last minute that our training camp was switched to Bangalore.

"I don't know why it was switched but we could have been there in one of those hotels when they were attacked."

Christ.

I think no team should visit Pakistan, as it seems to be slipping into a civil war, Zimbabwe, as Mugabe is still being a ____, or India for the time being, as there have been a few bombs over the past year or two. Not sure what the situation in Sri Lanka is. OK, we had the IRA for a while, but in places like Pakistan the targets can be the visiting team themselves, or any other visitor, it is simply too dangerous.

Perhaps the best idea is to attempt to really push cricket in countries that were not part of the British Empire. 20/20 would be a good starting point, and then there may be a gradual appreciation for test cricket, as people may develop a taste for the nuances and unfolding drama of the longer game. This would have the added benefit of reducing the power of the BCCI.

Archived