BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Cricket (tests, Odi's And 20/20)

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Want to give me some quotes?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/england/7753820.stm

Playing cricket in India is incredible, it's amazing," he said. "There is no better place in the world to play cricket because you get looked after and the grounds are full before you even wake up in the morning.

"I always look forward to playing in India and if the security is right and things are OK, we will play.

http://newsx.com/story/28682

"At certain point of time you have to make a debut. I feel India is the best place to play your first Test. It is a wonderful place and a great challenge too," he added.

There's been numerous others but it's not that easy to find them...maybe "most" is an exaggeration but "many" would be a better fit.

this is for my fellow southern hemisphere mates,from Australia. Brad Haddin,how good a batsman is he? i have watched the series in India and now against NZ, and apart from the century today, hasnt struck me as anything special with bat in hand. are there any good wicket keepers in the mould of Gilchrist coming through?

Good to see Brad Haddin getting a bit of form v the Kiwis, 169, brilliant knock.

Agree there dave. It was very much overdue.

Credit to him, brilliant stand.

Brad Haddin - how good a batsman is he? Decent enough and can play most strokes in the book. IMV he is nothing like Gilly, especially in his aggression. He has a very good FC record and has always been consistent at the state level (i.e. NSW).

As I said above, that innings today of 169, was long overdue and hopefully that batting display, will instill some confidence. I was in the Carribean for the three test series against WI and I wasn't impressed at all. Against the WI, he was out consistently for playing mistimed attacking strokes and this form carried through to the tour of India.

The bigger test will be against the saffa's

Are there any good wicket keepers in the mould of Gilchrist coming through? Luke Ronchi (WA) is probably the closet to a Gilly type player. Currently he is very much in the ODI mould. Tim Paine for Tassie, is not too shabby either.

Iceman, ignore Haddin at your peril. He can be as good as Gilchrist. If not, there's Luke Ronchi, who will be as good as Gilchrist, if Haddin fails.

This test was Haddin's 100th first class game, it was his 11 century in first class cricket. Not bad for a wicket keeper.

Looking forward to the Saffers. It will be a great set of tests. Let the best team win.

edit: Iceman, I think that you may mean "is there a good a batsman as Gilchrist was", good keeper, great batsman. Haddin (to my mind) is half way there. Ronchi, could be the real deal.

Talking of wicketkeepers, I find it funny that whoever has been playing for England in the last few years, starts off brilliantly, especially with the bat, and then slowly becomes poop. Geraint Jones, Ambrose, Prior have all looked good, and then ultimately flopped. It doesn't look like we'll ever have our version of Gilchrist, which is a big blow.

Talking of wicketkeepers, I find it funny that whoever has been playing for England in the last few years, starts off brilliantly, especially with the bat, and then slowly becomes poop. Geraint Jones, Ambrose, Prior have all looked good, and then ultimately flopped. It doesn't look like we'll ever have our version of Gilchrist, which is a big blow.

Not until the next young Indian, Sri Lankan or Pakistan WC keeper comes through and you guys claim him.

Seriously though, Dhoni is fast becoming a phenom, could be better then Gilchrist in time.

Not until the next young Indian, Sri Lankan or Pakistan WC keeper comes through and you guys claim him.

Seriously though, Dhoni is fast becoming a phenom, could be better then Gilchrist in time.

Who are you reffering to? We only nick South Africans. Nasser Hussain was born in Madras though.

Another decent performance by Australia, to wrap up the series (2-0) against the Kiwis. Haddin & Hauritz performed very well IMV. Lee seems to be coming back into form and 'Midge' Johnson is continuing to develop his game. Both 'Roy' and Hayden need to start getting runs on the board.

Now the biggest battle begins, for Australia (at home) in quite a while (No.1 vs. No.2)

I very much like the look of the Saffa's batting and pace attack. Hard to pick the winner on this win, but I think the Saffa's will just edge us on this. :o

A pace attack of Steyn, Ntini, Zondeki & Morkel looks very strong and that's not even including the ever-present Kallis (a true champion in my eyes). IMV, Amla and McKenzie are the main danger men in the batting line-up.

On the home front, all is not too rosy with the Aussie selection process, for the first test at the WACA, on the 17th of Dec. Ponting is carrying a wrist injury, but still looks like he will play and then there is the 'headache' in the picking the correct bowling attack. After the debacle last year against India, Australia still needs to make the decision to go with either Watson (as the fourth seamer), or select 'Crazy' as the spin option.

To add to the above, it's a pity that Phil Jaques is not available (due to injury) and that Brad Hodge hasn't been included or considered at all. <_<

I would also like to see Nathan Bracken, given another chance at a test spot, at some point throughout this three test series.. I think he would be perfect in a four man seam attack (great swing bowler).

IMHO, this is one of the best test series on the international calendar and I can't wait to get to the Sydney test on Jan 2nd.

EDIT: May the best team win... B)

Strong talk on the radio this am about Phil Hughes (the NSW opener) being included in the squad for England next year. Playing on what must be a very ordinary pitch, he scored 200+ runs in two innings out of a total of 340. 31 wickets have fallen in two days! He's already hit over 1000 for the season to date.

If I remember correctly, he's only 19 or so.

Strong talk on the radio this am about Phil Hughes (the NSW opener) being included in the squad for England next year. Playing on what must be a very ordinary pitch, he scored 200+ runs in two innings out of a total of 340. 31 wickets have fallen in two days! He's already hit over 1000 for the season to date.

If I remember correctly, he's only 19 or so.

Mate and I are pegging him for Hayden's replacement, at 19 that is alot of pressure but he is THE best opening batter prospect who has come through the system since Hayden 20 years ago.

Mate and I are pegging him for Hayden's replacement, at 19 that is alot of pressure but he is THE best opening batter prospect who has come through the system since Hayden 20 years ago.

I mentioned a few pages ago that Hughes has talent, but quite simply, Jaques WILL open with Katich, when Hayden retires.. The position his to lose.

When Katich retires, then Hughes may get his chance, or the selectors may go with Rogers again. Rogers has performed superbly this year (in both ODD's & Sheffield), after moving to Victoria and honestly deserves another chance to open.

EDIT: Btw - I don’t think anyone has reached 1000 runs yet in Sheffield shield.

EDIT: Btw - I don’t think anyone has reached 1000 runs yet in Sheffield shield.

Micheal Klinger is closest with 775, average of 98.87, Rogers and hughes second and third respectively.

Just looking teh other stats and that young Geeves is doing quite well and a fast bowler, Hilfenhaus needs another shot.

Is there anyone shaping up to be Ponting's replacement?

I think Australia have had their wobble in India and the tonking of the Kiwis will help them build for England reserves. If they win that series the confidence will sky just right for the summer.

Meanwhile England have slipped into crapness yet again, and I feel that India will win 1-0 or 2-0. One thing I am confident about is that it won't be a 5-0 whitewash in the ashes next summer.

Is there anyone shaping up to be Ponting's replacement?

I think Australia have had their wobble in India and the tonking of the Kiwis will help them build for England reserves. If they win that series the confidence will sky just right for the summer.

Meanwhile England have slipped into crapness yet again, and I feel that India will win 1-0 or 2-0. One thing I am confident about is that it won't be a 5-0 whitewash in the ashes next summer.

I think as number three Klinger (who I mentioned above) has come into his own since moving from Victoria to SA otherwise I can see M Hussey going to three and D Hussey coming into the middle order.

As captain I think, as much as it pains me, MJ Clarke is almost a certainty.

No offence, but IMV, England wont have much of a chance against India.

On Aus vs Eng, I think this series is still a little open considering the series result.

I think as number three Klinger (who I mentioned above) has come into his own since moving from Victoria to SA otherwise I can see M Hussey going to three and D Hussey coming into the middle order.

As captain I think, as much as it pains me, MJ Clarke is almost a certainty.

I would go with Hodge as No.3 (perfect replacement and has proved this already when Ponting has been injured), but Klinger is a good shout, as he is reasonably young (28). I would still like him to prove, another year of good performances, domestically. Another player that could be thrown into the mix, is Marcus North. Very consistent player (both in the English county and Sheffield shield format) and is the corner stone of the WA setup.

On David Hussey, I am not still sure of his ability in the longer form of the game.. Great in the ODD's, but seems to vary his performances for Victoria. Something else that needs to be considered on his selection, is the fact that David is 31 and may have 'missed the boat' to get his baggygreen.

You're right; Clarke will get the captaincy, unfortunately. He has been groomed for far too long, to not let him have it, after Ponting's retirement. IMO, Punter will be retiring in the next 3 years (at most).

Hodge

You don't want to give Hussey a go at just 31 yet your happy give a very close to 34 another shot?

As with Bevan and Law before him, maybe he wasn't given a good enough shot but THAT boat has sailed.

Hussey has scored close to 10,000 first class runs, is three years younger, averages close to ten runs better then Hodge, and has a strike rate over 70 AND unlike Hodge hasn't even been given a chance in the baggy green in the longer form.

To me it is a no brainer

You don't want to give Hussey a go at just 31 yet your happy give a very close to 34 another shot? Yep.. He deserves its and you have to consider he is already capped for Aus. Silly I know, but that's how I feel on the issue. See further down

As with Bevan and Law before him, maybe he wasn't given a good enough shot but THAT boat has sailed. Maybe so, but with an average of nearly 56, a HS of 203* and six tests under his belt already, I think it would be a great shame not to utilise him, while the opportunity is still available. On the other two you have mentioned... Bevan had a decent run in the side, but ultimately was a lost cause in the test arena, as he suffered from the inability to play the short ball and constantly displayed a bad temper after being dismissed. Law OTOH, was unlucky (only playing one test), but his lack of games at the top level, was solely down to quality available at the time for selection.

Hussey has scored close to 10,000 first class runs, is three years younger, averages close to ten runs better then Hodge, and has a strike rate over 70 AND unlike Hodge hasn't even been given a chance in the baggy green in the longer form. I know you know this already, but Hodge has over 16,000 runs, an average close to 50 in FC games and IMV, still has at least another 1-2 years left at the top level.

Btw - I believe that the SR of Hodgey is close to 65, so it's not that bad...

At the end of day, I am not saying David doesn't deserve a BG, as the idea does have some merit, but I am proud of the fact that the Australian selection process doesn't just hand one out to everyone/anyone.

Rarely have the Australian selectors failed, when handing out a BG in recent years. IMV, the only failures in the last ten years, have been Williams and Muller.

Henriques picked by Kolkata, along with Mendis, as one of their two pre-auction IPL picks. Moises now getting the attention he deserves.

NSW David Warner also may be considered. I watched the game against Tassie, a few days back and he looked in very good form. Very unlucky not to get his (back-to-back) ton in the ODD's. Steve Smith also in contention for a stint in the IPL.

The test squad for Aus vs SA at the WACA has been announced. Watson and Krejza back in the team.

If I type that a team in the India England series was 155 for 6, I would not blame anyone for thinking it was England. But India? Wow.

We'll still lose, but hey, I bet you Wish you had Swann in your side now ;)

Good work by England, at the stumps on day two.

I wouldn't say that England will lose Flopsy, IMV its very much balanced at the moment. Still a long way to go before the result is out, but good work overall and some solid individual performances.

I thought Prior illustrated great character, in helping the tail wag and a nice patient ton by Strauss.

Not detracting from what has been said already, but two things need to be mentioned.

1. England won the toss and that is very important on Indian pitches.

2. Why did Dhoni (as captain), persist with the old ball for so long? Big mistake, IMV.

And you're right Flopsy, 300+ is a very decent score on this wicket.

Archived