BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Chelsea Match Preview

This is the sort of inspiration needed here from Hamiltons Dad.

"But when things go against you, you rise above it and get stronger and stronger. I tell you, everything negative thrown at us is just huge positive energy.

"It's like fuel, the more you give us the more it fuels us, and it's brilliant. You can't run and hide."

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We might as well just go for this. Experiment away. A draw would be a fantastic result, so we can afford to dabble and see if we strike lucky.

We are going to need to be on top form, but I'm not expecting anything even if we are, Scolari has them playing incredibly well.

With no right winger we are already at a disadvantage so we might as well get behind Ince, the players and the squad. Even Fowler.

As long as we put in a good shift and show some passion, I won't be disappointed.

I'm very much hoping Ince has learnt from the Arsenal and Utd games and we roll up our sleeves, get in their faces and let Chelsea's billionaires know they've been to Lancashire for a game of football. If we lose under those circumstances I'll be satisfied, if we get our tummies tickled, again, I'll be hopping mad.

Having read a report on the NU match, and having read yesterday a report on Spurs, it seems as though in both cases the manager had instilled some confidence in the players.

I was thinking that if Ince can come to realise that we do actually have some decent players and that, although we are not in the bottom 3, things are not going in the right direction. As manager, he should look at all his staff, including the Axe and Vogel and then pick an appropriate team for Sunday. As fans, we do not expect to get anything out of this match, but it would stand Ince in good stead with the fans if his team were set up well and battled for the full 90+ minutes.

Then I read in today's LT that Ince is determined not to go against his footballing principles.

I'm very much hoping Ince has learnt from the Arsenal and Utd games and we roll up our sleeves, get in their faces and let Chelsea's billionaires know they've been to Lancashire for a game of football. If we lose under those circumstances I'll be satisfied, if we get our tummies tickled, again, I'll be hopping mad.

Pretty much my view on it as well Paul.

Not a phrase I intend to use very often, but...a game for Mokoena perhaps?

I don't think it's going to be a game for Carlos, I'd have Mokoena and Grella shielding the defence with Emerton, Pedersen and Andrews ahead of them.

Emerton will be out; I don't know about Grella's fitness.

Emerton will be out; I don't know about Grella's fitness.

Oh dear, we don't have anyone else that can play on the right really. What is wrong with Grella, has he always been this injury prone?

I can't imagine what formation we'll play then, but if Grella is out then it makes even more sense to play Mokoena. Not sure who'll play on the right...maybe even Pedersen with Warnock on the left again, although I would worry about Olsson playing against Chelsea.

Oh dear, we don't have anyone else that can play on the right really. What is wrong with Grella, has he always been this injury prone?

I can't imagine what formation we'll play then, but if Grella is out then it makes even more sense to play Mokoena. Not sure who'll play on the right...maybe even Pedersen with Warnock on the left again, although I would worry about Olsson playing against Chelsea.

Although not an ideal choice, I would consider Derbyshire, work on him during the week and work on various skills, such as crossing and not giving away the ball, which will be very important against Chelsea.

I don't know what is wrong with Grella as I haven't seen anything in the local press about him. I just find it disappointing that a major signing has only played 2 1/2 games in just over 2 months.

Then I read in today's LT that Ince is determined not to go against his footballing principles.

In which case we'll get stuffed and Ince will set himself back with the fans. I've enjoyed some of our football - who'd have Rovers v Boro on a cold wet Saturday night down as entertaining? but please not against Chelsea.

As a Chilean spectator I would like to see former Audax Italiano teammates Di Santo and Villanueva face-of, but I doubt Di Santo will feature in this one. Villanueva might actually be better suited for this game since Chelsea will certainly be on the offensive most of the time allowing him a little more time and space to thread pases or take a shot.

I think the comment was just because Grella has had injury problems in the last few weeks and we haven't heard anything either way. As for whether he's injury-prone, he seems to have stayed relatively healthy through most of his career so I'd say we've just had some really bad luck with his injuries so far. Maybe it's a consequence of him not having a full pre-season, who knows.

Archived