BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tresor Mputu

Hughesy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bentley couldn't be any more relevant to this discussion. Surely you can see that?

Nope.

The discussion was about a player Rovers are looking at on trial.

During the discussion it was said that arsenal have looked at him and the discussion moved onto whether Arsenal miss out on players with talent and Bentley was given as an example.

That is where any relevance ended.

The discussion is about whether Tresor Mputu will be good enough. Arsenal passed on him, so other players Arsenal passed on, along with whether or not they went on to prove themselves good enough, are entirely relevant. Bentley is the one we know most about. We benefitted from from Arsenal passing on him, and made a tidy profit.

Leave the modding to the mods eh?

The discussion is about whether Tresor Mputu will be good enough. Arsenal passed on him, so other players Arsenal passed on, along with whether or not they went on to prove themselves good enough, are entirely relevant. Bentley is the one we know most about. We benefitted from from Arsenal passing on him, and made a tidy profit.

Leave the modding to the mods eh?

Just because they let Bentley go does not mean that this fellow is any good.

I suspect he'll be like the vast majority of trialists and end up not signing.

Well in this case, it appears as though he was prepared to buy him Rover6, but only at £500.000. So where does that fit into your philosophy?

Clearly Wenger believed that he could get someone else as good as Palacios for that fee. Hence, he didn't want to pay over the odds. Hence, his judgment was amiss in that case because Palacios seems a really good player who will be signed by a biggie sooner than later.

As blinkered as Wenger can be, I don't believe that even he would claim to have infallible judgment on players.

Anyway, for the pedants, Mputu is an anagram for Mut Pu, which almost sounds rude.

I agree.

Also a player who is not right for Arsenal could be very right for us. Players are not just "good" players and "bad" players. It is how you use them, how they fit into the team, how they fit into your environment.

We have managed to get the best out of other clubs "rejects" (or bad players as you might call them...) like Cruz, Tugay, McCarthy, Warnock, Samba, Bentley, Freidal, Robisnon (looks very good to me now) byt building a stable envrionment that they feel comfortbale. All these players looked fairly rubbish on paper (in some cases extremely so) but turned out to be excellent for the club.

SO the core point is what do you know? Not a lot. Give him a chance.

All of Ince's buys have looked okay so far. So I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. A bit of pace up front would transform our team imo.

Are you having a laugh or are you as clueless as Ray Mathias joey!

I honestly don't think the players we have brought in have looked that bad. Robinson has been excellent, Andrews is a decent enough squad player for the money we brought him in for, Simpson has had a poor run int he last couple of games but has generally been decent. Grella has a lot of ability although his injury record is very worrying.

Fowler does look an utterly pointless signing I have to agree, whilst the lack of a right winger is an ever increasing problem with the injuries we have suffered.

All in all okay. We have not signed any turnips for big money. Four players we have brought in look good to me and all offer something different - Carlos, Simpson, Robinson and Grella. The only manager who seems to have performed better on a similar budget is Phil Brown, and perhaps on paper Steve Bruce, but then look at the table today and see where Wigan are despite seemingly sensational signings like Palacios and Zaki.

Ramos, Keegan, Hughes, Moyes, Keane, Hodgson, Southgate, Megson all seem to have spent much more to produce sides operating at the same level we are at.

The rationale that you are criticizing Ince with can be leveled at fifteen or sixteen clubs in the Prem.

I am prepared to give him more time. We are not in the mire yet, no more than half the teams in the league. Yet obviously at the same time we need to draw a line in the sand somewhere. If we do not get six points in the next three league games I will then start sharing your concerns. Can't say fairer than that.

I honestly don't think the players we have brought in have looked that bad. Robinson has been excellent, Andrews is a decent enough squad player for the money we brought him in for, Simpson has had a poor run int he last couple of games but has generally been decent. Grella has a lot of ability although his injury record is very worrying.

Fowler does look an utterly pointless signing I have to agree, whilst the lack of a right winger is an ever increasing problem with the injuries we have suffered.

All in all okay. We have not signed any turnips for big money. Four players we have brought in look good to me and all offer something different - Carlos, Simpson, Robinson and Grella. The only manager who seems to have performed better on a similar budget is Phil Brown, and perhaps on paper Steve Bruce, but then look at the table today and see where Wigan are despite seemingly sensational signings like Palacios and Zaki.

Ramos, Keegan, Hughes, Moyes, Keane, Hodgson, Southgate, Megson all seem to have spent much more to produce sides operating at the same level we are at.

The rationale that you are criticizing Ince with can be leveled at fifteen or sixteen clubs in the Prem.

I am prepared to give him more time. We are not in the mire yet, no more than half the teams in the league. Yet obviously at the same time we need to draw a line in the sand somewhere. If we do not get six points in the next three league games I will then start sharing your concerns. Can't say fairer than that.

Read what your saying Joey but its only Rovers i'm interested in and seeing Rovers up there amongst the elite of this country the signings dont match that expectation which worries me, we might survive this season but the foundations for the following season is on very shaky ground.

Archived