BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Matt Jansen

I want to believe in Ince, I want to keep defending him, but with every week that passes I feel more and more that he just doesn't know what he's doing.

Souness tried to bring Jansen back, Hughes tried to bring Jansen back: it didn't work.

This just smacks of pandering to the more impressionable supporters who still have a soft spot for their favourite player.

The last thing we need is yet another past it or bog standard average player in our squad. We already have about 30 of those.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, But could you imagine the bad feeling if he had said no?

Precisely. Jansen wanted to train with us. Why say no. If he does still have it then we've won. If we doesn't then we've not lost. and it does give you a nice warm feeling to just wonder if he might, and to think the club's prepared to go that bit further than many would for a guy who gave us some of the greatest moments we've had recently. I don't think he'll make it either but there's always got to be a bit of space for dreams.

Has anyone ever spent the amount of time away from the game that Jansen has and come back at the top level?

I really hope so, it would enhance the possibility that he can do it (at least in my own mind).

This is different though. Jansen didn't quit because of injury.

There's no way he's going to come back for us sadly.

By all means let him train and give him all the help he needs - the man is a legend and has a genuine love for the club which is really heartening to see. I also have a feeling he would have stayed on with us for a long time had that accident not happened.

But fact is he's 30 and even if he gets some of his old form back, it won't be long before he starts to decline. Would love it if I was wrong though.

Just after he was fot and traning at Rovers I met MJ at Bolton, whilst I was recuperating and undergoing physio at their club he was also there and had problems with his balance. This ultimately made it impossible for him to actually play football along with the psychological issues.

I hope he has oveercome them because a fit Matt Jansen is a massive thing for Rovers.

So does that make it more or less likely he could possibly come back in your opinion?

Difficult one GB. Matt said there was nothing wrong with him physically that made him pack it in. He was worrying about whether he could still play the game and whether he was letting people down. Then, he simply started to hate the game - because IMO, he didn't want the spotlight, - he didn't want to be there.

From my experience, after a serious illness or injury such as Matt's, the biggest problem is loss of confidence. Loss of confidence in ones self. It all depends Gumboots as to whether he can overcome this. He might not even realise this is the problem, and even if he does - the acid test will come when the pressure is back on him.

When his chance comes to make the step into the first team, is when he will realise himself whether he can do it. I sincerely hope so, not just for his football career, but for his personal well being.

den, that is by far the most sensible post on the subject since we heard Jansen is back training at the Rovers.

It sounds like the lad now has an objective and zero expectation and pressure on himself- psychologicallu it might work and if the accident damage was 99% psychological and 1% motor/reactions there could be some interesting things happening on the Brockhall training grounds over the coming weeks.

There is bound to be a huge plus for the Rovers immediately because it is quite clear Jansen is a lovely lad and I am sure simply having him around training with the first team will be a positive influence. He also has an affinity and a loyalty to the club which is different to that of most hired hands pro footballers and as we come to a very fraught transfer window, maybe, just maybe, that might have the tinyest of influences on others who might be looking at pastures elsewhere.

One very big positive for Matt.

With Fowler at Ewood he has a low and easy target to aim at which can only help build his sense of what could be possible for his come back.

My personal opinion after a reasonably long private conversation with Matt is that he will make it back in to the Rovers' squad and ultimately onto the bench

How he does when he's there is anybody's guess.

Considering Fowler is there I suppose it is possible. He can't really be any worse.

Great, yet another mediocre / past it / inadequate squad player to challange the other 30 already in the squad.

Add Jansen to Roque, McCarthy, Roberts, Derbyshire and Fowler and you now have SIX striekrs at the club vying for two positions. Roque and McCarthy are obvious choices for the sixteen, Roberts has been given a new contract, Derbyshire keeps getting the occasional appearances and Fowler is Ince's Pal. When exactly will Jansen get to feature, every eighth fixture?

Great, yet another mediocre / past it / inadequate squad player to challange the other 30 already in the squad.

Add Jansen to Roque, McCarthy, Roberts, Derbyshire and Fowler and you now have SIX striekrs at the club vying for two positions. Roque and McCarthy are obvious choices for the sixteen, Roberts has been given a new contract, Derbyshire keeps getting the occasional appearances and Fowler is Ince's Pal. When exactly will Jansen get to feature, every eighth fixture?

Bit harsh tcj. It was Matt who approached the club. Would you have said no to him?

Lovely guy, could have made it, time to let go I think. Letting him train is fine by me. saying he's first team material - oh dear. However he still kept scoring after the accident but no one wold take the change. Heard Souey say he was okay on the pitch but everyone worried about him after matches. Don't know what was wrong but heard it could have been depression post game. (Playing just now might not be the answer for him!)

This is an interesting one. The cynic in me says its all a publicity stunt, the Rover in me wants it to be true.

Den's right about the long term injuries, the biggest hurdle is not the physical conditioning but overcoming the mental issues. Hopefully he's able to put it behind him. I'd rather have Matty on the bench than Fowler.

He is still better than Fowler.

EVERY POSTER ON THIS BOARD IS BETTER THAN FOWLER TBH!!!

This for me is the one bit of rovers related good news at the moment, don't know if he can make it back, but as a previous poster said, if you took the call, what would you say, an automatic YES, we owe him it.

I for one am glad he is back in the fold, and obviously I'd love to see him back, but we'll see.

As for the Ince conspiracy theory, come on, have a look at yourself lad???!!!

Archived