BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Andy Cole Retires

Morning,

Not too sure if anyone else has picked up on this, this morning, but Mr Cole has decided to call it a day.

The full article is in the Times, and he has reiterated that he'd like to get into management and / or coaching, with Rovers being linked. However, of his move from Old Trafford to Ewood in 2001 he calls it "probably the biggest mistake I've ever made". That's a good way to endear you to your potential new employers Andrew!!

A enough striker for us, who certainly did his bit to stave off relegation in season 2001-2002 and, of course, the Worthington Cup final of 2002 is something that no Rovers fan is ever going to forget. Nice one Andy- not too sure about your comments on moving to the Rovers but at least he's been honest.

Thoughts?

Full link attacked below.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5127120.ece

Morning,

Not too sure if anyone else has picked up on this, this morning, but Mr Cole has decided to call it a day.

The full article is in the Times, and he has reiterated that he'd like to get into management and / or coaching, with Rovers being linked. However, of his move from Old Trafford to Ewood in 2001 he calls it "probably the biggest mistake I've ever made". That's a good way to endear you to your potential new employers Andrew!!

A enough striker for us, who certainly did his bit to stave off relegation in season 2001-2002 and, of course, the Worthington Cup final of 2002 is something that no Rovers fan is ever going to forget. Nice one Andy- not too sure about your comments on moving to the Rovers but at least he's been honest.

Thoughts?

Full link attacked below.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5127120.ece

reading it, it's the leaving Utd when he did that he views as a mistake; not the coming to Rovers.

We paid too much for him. But, he did quite well compared to certain other forwards signed on the basis of the heroics at Utd.

He was worth every penny the season we bought him. Purely on the basis of keeping us up and winning the cup. I still remember the goal he scored away at Liverpool the night Arse won at United to take the title. Finished 4-3 IIRC. Volley from miles out that dipped incredibly...

He was worth every penny the season we bought him. Purely on the basis of keeping us up and winning the cup. I still remember the goal he scored away at Liverpool the night Arse won at United to take the title. Finished 4-3 IIRC. Volley from miles out that dipped incredibly...

4-3 was a night match, yep think you're right about Arse winning the title that night. Think it was that match that Tord Grip was watching and decided Jansen wouldn't go to Japan. But Cole's cracker was in a 1-1 on Boxing Day, probably the season after.

4-3 was a night match, yep think you're right about Arse winning the title that night. Think it was that match that Tord Grip was watching and decided Jansen wouldn't go to Japan. But Cole's cracker was in a 1-1 on Boxing Day, probably the season after.

You're right... My mistake :) That was an entertaining match though :)

This debate has come and gone before, about whether a player was "worth it" but if you decide that a player is value for money because he contributed to Rovers staying up - then Lorenzo Amoruso was value for money.

Now, ad absurdum, if Ciccio Grabbi scored one goal in the last game of the season that kept Rovers up and never played again, would he have been value for money at £7 million.

There's an argument to say, yes - but I would say, no. I judge a player's worth by comparing what they achieved to what was expected of them when they signed. Andy Cole, at £8 million, or whatever, was expected to be firing in goals left right and centre. He didn't - although, he did quite well.

There's an argument to say, yes - but I would say, no. I judge a player's worth by comparing what they achieved to what was expected of them when they signed. Andy Cole, at £8 million, or whatever, was expected to be firing in goals left right and centre. He didn't - although, he did quite well.

And playing alongside him enabled Stead to have his best season

Jansen benefitted hugely as well and had his most consistent spell for Rovers playing alongside Cole. I'm sure it helped Duffer as well.

In fact, the only striker who looked worse with Cole ironically was Yorke, who played better with Egil Ostenstaad.

At £8 million Cole was purchased before football's deflation and his goals kept us up and won us a cup, which IMO represents a return. Thought he did a good job for us and a shame that he left in the summer when he and Souness had fallen out, only for Souness to leave a few baffling games into the following season. Great rapper too. :lol:

• 1 year later...

This debate has come and gone before, about whether a player was "worth it" but if you decide that a player is value for money because he contributed to Rovers staying up - then Lorenzo Amoruso was value for money.

I think, even though it is your own comparison, that you must admit that it is a stupid one. Are you seriously comparing a player who scored one goal against QPR with a player who completely reinvigorated our season scoring nine league goals and 3 times in the Worthington Cup semi finals and final to lead us to our only major cup victory in the last eighty years?

Now, ad absurdum, if Ciccio Grabbi scored one goal in the last game of the season that kept Rovers up and never played again, would he have been value for money at £7 million.

That is a better way to put across the question. However we are in the realms of economics and philosophy here aren't we? It could be said that if, solely because without his efforts, we would have lost whatever it is we would lose if we went then...yes, it was worth it. Does not mean he was necessarily much kop however...

Certainly he was not a bad buy. It was strange how the goals dried up after the first half year but that was so spectacular that it set us up as a club for years. If Souness was not the type of bloke who could start an argument in an empty room maybe he would not have left on a free. Certainly he seemed to do fine for a couple of years in the Prem after he left us.

Overall...a good buy. However...we did expect much more after a wonderful first six months.

Interesting to see Mr Cole on Question of Sport tonight. When trying to name the 4 Prem League clubs beginning with a 'B', he could only name one - Birmingham City!! :blink:

Surey he's not forgotten about us??

Or Burnley who he of course also played for...

Interesting to see Mr Cole on Question of Sport tonight. When trying to name the 4 Prem League clubs beginning with a 'B', he could only name one - Birmingham City!! :blink:

Surey he's not forgotten about us??

No, like most fans he probably thinks of us as Rovers :rolleyes:

Souey had completely lost the plot by then.

So for the season we had Paul Dickov and Jonathon Stead to fire us through the season.

And Dominic Matteo on the left wing!!

It wont do the misty eyed Souness lovers who use the Worthy Cup as an example to bash Allardyce any harm to be reminded of those days every once in a while.

As for Soueys attitude to European competition and the pride of supporters of our small town club...... Better not even go there! :angry2:

Archived