BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Landlord Rules And Regulations

Does anyone have a decent knowledge of the rules and regulations that landlord's have to follow? Basically we're kind of arguing with ours so we're going to leave soon, but I'd like to get one over on him if I can because we're not being treated fairly.

The main bit I'm interested in is their responsibility to keep things safe, specifically the wiring of the electrics in the flat. Ever since we've been here they've been really dodgy, there are two we can't use because if we plug anything in they make a loud crackling sound (it's quite scary actually) and it knocks the electric off in the flat for 15 minutes or so. Sometimes it just trips if we turn on the toaster or something. Whilst we've never been hurt, it is annoying. Using the washing machine especially is a bit of a gamble, because does go off for a second or so then washing machine stops and you have to start the cycle all over again, but it takes hours before you can turn it back on (the same cracking sound comes from the socket it's plugged in to when this happens).

Does the landlord have a responsibility to make sure that kind of thing is fine before we move in? Whilst I'm not sure if it is actually dangerous or not, the crackling noise does sound dangerous. I plan to use these plugs whenever they bring people to look round the flat, no-one will take it when they see that. I admit most of this is about revenge, I don't mind whether it's fixed or not because we'll be leaving ASAP. I'd just like some ammunition for next time I speak to them, because I never have anything to come back with.

Cheers Colin, that's exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. I'm sure I'll find something in there I can quote to him.

Mind you, apparently he has over 1000 properties in Manchester so whether he'll care about a complaint from one person in a one bedroom flat is another thing...

Have you got a contract ?

Thats the most important issue before taking the next advice.

We do have a contract, a pretty lengthy one in fact. How does it effect what I'm trying to do though?

Be careful you don't crash and burn. :unsure:

I don't understand what you mean...

It's not Robbie Fowler is it? :huh:

:lol:

Does anyone have a decent knowledge of the rules and regulations that landlord's have to follow? Basically we're kind of arguing with ours so we're going to leave soon, but I'd like to get one over on him if I can because we're not being treated fairly.

The main bit I'm interested in is their responsibility to keep things safe, specifically the wiring of the electrics in the flat. Ever since we've been here they've been really dodgy, there are two we can't use because if we plug anything in they make a loud crackling sound (it's quite scary actually) and it knocks the electric off in the flat for 15 minutes or so. Sometimes it just trips if we turn on the toaster or something. Whilst we've never been hurt, it is annoying. Using the washing machine especially is a bit of a gamble, because does go off for a second or so then washing machine stops and you have to start the cycle all over again, but it takes hours before you can turn it back on (the same cracking sound comes from the socket it's plugged in to when this happens).

Does the landlord have a responsibility to make sure that kind of thing is fine before we move in? Whilst I'm not sure if it is actually dangerous or not, the crackling noise does sound dangerous. I plan to use these plugs whenever they bring people to look round the flat, no-one will take it when they see that. I admit most of this is about revenge, I don't mind whether it's fixed or not because we'll be leaving ASAP. I'd just like some ammunition for next time I speak to them, because I never have anything to come back with.

Yes the landlord does have responcibility to make sure the place is safe - Go to the citizens advice bureau or even the council, the latter may be better. The landlord can be forced to make the place safe. You could make things very ' interesting' for the landlord. The council could send somebody to inspect on the grounds of health and safety - the fire service would do the same, and they do it for free. You can infact get a member of the fire service to do a fire check - you could say that you believe there is serious problem that COULD cause a fire, which could effect other buildings - they would come and check things out - If either the council or fire service find the place unfit they would force the landlord to fix the problem or close him down before doing so. They may also inspect any other building the landlord has. It is very easy saying you are leaving the place so it does not matter if it is fixed or not. What if there is a serious problem / fire risk and the person after you is seriously hurt - maybe a child - how would you feel, knowing that you could have possible done something to prevent it.

Archived