BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mufc V Brfc Carling Cup Match Thread

Roost

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I lived in Bourton-On-The-Water I'd be right narked off at having to go to Manchester! Bourton is a wonderful place.

Thank you it is wonderful where I live

But work is work and the coincidence of being in manchester tomorrow is not too bad seeing rovers are there

Last time i went MGP scored twice so I m a good omen

IF (and its a big IF) we can get our act together tomorrow night we have a real chance in this cup. Looks as though the other semi finalists at best will be Burnley, Stoke and Spurs and they are all beatable with the right team, right commitment etc. Man Utd are playing their second string side tomorrow and even though they will still be good and tough to beat, hopefully Ince does something right for once and gets the lads up for this game. It is a distraction, it is a different competition but a good result could go a long way to resurrecting our season.

Edit: So with Derby going through with last minute pen that is another prem side out and already 2 championship teams through. Could well be 3 tomorrow night with the way things are going. How about all 4 underdogs to win??? We need to win tomorrow night! We have an unbelievable chance to actually do well in this cup! Best in years and probably won't get as good a chance as this for a while!

Fair play to the Dingles, played some decent football and deserve to get into the next round. I don't like to praise our historical enemies but they have showed the sort of fight and hard to beat qualities that the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea and United used to fear when they played us.

If we beat United and get back to some decent form we have a great chance of winning this trophy.

Good passing and creativity by Burnley too. Hadnt seen them play under Coyle but I was impressed...No wonder nicko is a big fan.

The guy doing the live text on BBC said Chris Eagles was impressive on the right wing and his crossing was Beckham-like (or something along those lines). Lets get raiding! ;)

To quote Eagles (pinched from BBC): "Arsenal are a great team, but we knew that if we closed them down and put them under pressure we could do it." Lets hope we show the same spirit tomorrow night!

That's the Dingles and Derby through plus either Watford or Spurs (whom are really average in my opinion). Along with the winner of our tie. Maybe a bit of a bold predicition, but whoever wins our game tommorrow will go onto win the cup in my opinion. Let's hope Rovers can turn in a good performance against a weakened United side.

Still can't believe this game isn't on TV, with Ince being back as a manager at Old Trafford for the first time.

The guy doing the live text on BBC said Chris Eagles was impressive on the right wing and his crossing was Beckham-like (or something along those lines). Lets get raiding! ;)

To quote Eagles (pinched from BBC): "Arsenal are a great team, but we knew that if we closed them down and put them under pressure we could do it." Lets hope we show the same spirit tomorrow night!

Burnley showed a hard working TEAM ethic, something which has deserted us under Paul Inces reign to which Kevin Gallacher and Richard Diniss have pointed out on radio and in the local paper.

If Ince is pointing the finger at these guys for potentially undermining the club then Ince must look in the mirror and take a good hard look at himself because these guys are fully justified with what they see on the pitch.

Fellow Roverites, things must be really bad - we're in the quarter finals of the Carling Cup tomorrow and there's not even a thread dedicated to and previewing the game.

Come on, guys, miracles can happen.

Although, I cannot say that I'm overly expectant of success. Even if Man U put a weakened team out, we need to be upping our game manifold to have a chance. Most importantly, we need a central midfield combination that can compete.

Wait, we'll have Gamst and Emo on the wings. Okay, forget it - let's get back to mulling the future of Paul Ince. We don't have a hope in hell. B)

Come on Paul and the lads, we can NOT go out of the competition any earlier than our six fingered friends from down the M65. (And in all seriousness, extremely well done to them for knocking out Chelsea and Arsenal.)

Let's see a winning performance and mentality against what will no doubt be a weakened ManUre side tomorrow please.

Ah, I remember the good old days when closing the opposition down and putting them under heavy pressure was the Blackburn Rovers way of playing. The Paul Ince way of playing is trying to play nice football and failing miserably, though.

We have to have a chance with Man Utd's squad:

Manchester United (from): Foster, Kuszczak, Rafael, Evans, Cleverley, Neville, Chester, Vidic, O'Shea, Nani, Park, Fletcher, Anderson, Possebon, Gibson, Giggs, Tevez, Welbeck, Manucho.

In there they have only four proven quality players - Neville, Vidic, Giggs and Tevez. Admittedly they have a very decent supporting cast - Kuszczak, O'Shea, Nani, Park, Fletcher, Anderson are all very good but lack experience or have weaknesses to their game.

Definately winnable provided we get motivated and we are intelligent. If I had to guess at the team we will put out I would go for this:

-------------Derbyshire----Cruz

Pedersen-------Warnock------------Emerton

-------------------------Tugay

----Olsson-----Samba----Nelsen---Ooijer

-------------------------Robinson

We need someone who has scored recently - thats why Derbs is in there. I would prefer Warnock at left back but with Andrews cuptied I cannot see who else will be able to play in the middle of the park. Similarly i would like Emerton to move to right back but we have no options on right wing.

If Tugay and Warnock play well and can impose themselves on the likes of Anderson and Fletcher then we do have a chance. A big problem for us is that Cruz looks tired as does Pedersen, but hopefully we can hurt them.

If we get past this test we will have a great chance for the trophy.

Archived