BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] John Williams And His Role..

Our of interest, how would you all feel if we won at Portsmouth next Saturday? I think that, even with the negative circumstances we find ourselves in, it's highly possible. I hope we win - but I have no confidence where the next victory will come, etc. Argh! The troubles of being a Rovers fan!

Good points.

All the talk of giving him another game is not the right way to make judgements. The judgement should be made, as I've said before, on whether the board have confidence that he "will" [not "might"] turn things around. That decision wont be made on one game next week.

If they are convinced now, that he isn't going to turn this thing around, then they should sack him today. They really should be in a position now, to make that judgement.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing bothering me about Rovers (among many).

I lost an important and trusted member of staff. Before she went I did my homework and knew who her replacement was going to be. This was not as important or critical a position to me as a football manager. Rovers seem to be lurching from one unknown to the next.

If they sack Ince - unlikely in the extreme in my opinion - I hope they have someone in mind and set up to go this time instead of the stupid 'apply and we'll see' system they used last time. Surely the Manager's post is more important than that. Anyone worth their salt at that level would find it offensive.

Our of interest, how would you all feel if we won at Portsmouth next Saturday? I think that, even with the negative circumstances we find ourselves in, it's highly possible. I hope we win - but I have no confidence where the next victory will come, etc. Argh! The troubles of being a Rovers fan!

If he won of course he would get to stay probably two more games. You can't sack someone after a win. You have to let them build up a bit of steam.

on the other hand I will be amazed if we do win!

Den i would imagine that Ince is doing his best right now to convinve the board that he is still the man. One of the major reasons why I think he'll get more time from the board is due to the injuries that we've had (regardless of whether ince's regime have played a contributing factor). IMO Ince has probably asked JW to see how the results develop once he gets a settled side and a few players back upto fitness, with RSC being the obvious name and perhaps Emo/Grella and even Dunn (if it is early Dec) the others. Clearly though we have still lost our last two with our main man back in the team.

Your are quite right though, the board should know NOW if they have the confidence in him to turn things around, because as you say if they don't then they must sack him. I for one certainly do not believe in his ability to get us out of this mess.

Our of interest, how would you all feel if we won at Portsmouth next Saturday?

1 win and a move up to midtable and people put away their knives. However another winless week and people get even more annoyed, regardless of performance.

Wouldn't care. It would be a temporary blip. Would just give us less time to get someone good to save us from relegation and take even longer to get rid of Robbie Fowler and the Division 4 brigade.

I'd think thank god for the three points and a slight breathing space but it wouldn't change a thing about my views on Ince.

I'm sick of saying it- the guys a chancer, always has been , always will be- end of ! He's taking us down.

1 win and a move up to midtable and people put away their knives. However another winless week and people get even more annoyed, regardless of performance.

We're at the point where one win won't take us very far, all the other teams are picking up points and we aren't.

Another thing bothering me about Rovers (among many).

I lost an important and trusted member of staff. Before she went I did my homework and knew who her replacement was going to be. This was not as important or critical a position to me as a football manager. Rovers seem to be lurching from one unknown to the next.

If they sack Ince - unlikely in the extreme in my opinion - I hope they have someone in mind and set up to go this time instead of the stupid 'apply and we'll see' system they used last time. Surely the Manager's post is more important than that. Anyone worth their salt at that level would find it offensive.

What your saying is along the lines of what Spurs did with Ramos, they had Harry in the bag before they pulled the plug on the current staff.

I would like to think we would be smart enough to do something similar as I couldn't imagine Mathias or Knox in charge even on a temp basis.

The apply and we'll see system was ok at the time because it was the off season and we had time on our hands, obviously this would not be the case this time round.

One question I have been pondering is what was behind Williams choosing Ince?

Williams came out at the press conference and said something like, 'Well, it worked with Hughes so we have gone the same route.' Which, on the face of it, we had and I at first thought the guy was worth a punt when compared to the likes of Allardyce. But this theory has some holes:

i) Ince cannot have been as impressive in the interviews as Hughes given the huge gulf in their eloquence and gravitas. In fact, from what we have seen, there is little doubt he would interview the worst of any group of candidates. Why would Williams overlook this?

ii) Hughes could point to a top notch backroom staff, already assembled with Wales, who he would recruit. Ince could not and for good reason: he hadn't been a manager long enough or at a high enough level to assemble a strong team. Williams should have known that Hughes would leave a Marie Celeste at Brockhall and factored this in as a showstopper - he was not recruiting a manager but a management team. I must admit I had not thought this issue through when being supportive of Ince, but then I don't get paid 250,000 a year to think of such things. Why did he overlook this crucial issue?

I have seen three clues as to what I now think was Williams' real motivation: that he thinks he is the real footballing brains at Ewood and wanted a subservient manager

i) At the infamous press conference, I was struck by how Ince kept referring to 'Mr Chairman' and seeing the smug grin on Williams' face. I have heard (copyright Philipl) that both Souness and Williams basically treated Williams like a gopher, so it would not be a surprise if he wanted a manager who knew his proper station in life.

ii) The comment from Jansen that Williams 'wanted to build a team around him, duffer and Dunny' Eh? I thought managers built teams.

iii) Williams clearly revelled in being the centre of attention while the 'search' was on, plus seems quite puffed up about his seat on various PL committees.

All this adds up to a case of Chairman's Disease - thinking they are the real reason behind the success and looking for a manager who would not challenge that assumption by telling him to p!ss off away from Brockhall. So over-promote someone who will then not pose a threat to the Chairman's view of himself.

Unfortunately, if there is any truth in this, it lessens the chance of Ince being given his cards anytime soon.

Happy to be shot down by the Williams is perfect brigade, but only if you can point to alternate explanation as to why Ince was chosen in the first place, because it wasn't on merit, qualifications or experience.

Happy to be shot down by the Williams is perfect brigade, but only if you can point to alternate explanation as to why Ince was chosen in the first place, because it wasn't on merit, qualifications or experience.

Ince was presumably hired on the basis that he was young and had a great deal of potential.

There is also a feeling in the corridors of power I think that being a relatively and small unfashionable club in the eyes of the media, we need a big name at the helm to raise our profile.

Souness, Hughes, Ince etc.

Ince was presumably hired on the basis that he was young and had a great deal of potential.

There is also a feeling in the corridors of power I think that being a relatively and small unfashionable club in the eyes of the media, we need a big name at the helm to raise our profile.

Agreed, and they don't come much bigger or with a higher profile than Allardyce.

There's no doubt that Williams has been patting himself on the back ever since he appointed Hughes and he probably thought he could repeat the trick with Ince.

Is he big enough to admit he got it wrong ? This is a test of his management as much as Ince and if Rovers are relegated Williams ought to walk the plank too.

There's no doubt that Williams has been patting himself on the back ever since he appointed Hughes and he probably thought he could repeat the trick with Ince.

Is he big enough to admit he got it wrong ? This is a test of his management as much as Ince and if Rovers are relegated Williams ought to walk the plank too.

He will need the trust to OK any managerial change. - Will they agree to the financial implications of a change in manager at this time? It isn't simply down to JW.

He will need the trust to OK any managerial change. - Will they agree to the financial implications of a change in manager at this time? It isn't simply down to JW.

If they don't get Ince out as soon as possible we will drop a division, which will devalue the clubs worth, and I pray that Williams has the bottle to admit he made a big mistake and sack Ince at whatever the cost. PS: And beg Big Sam to come and rescue us!

Big Sam needs to come in and steady this ship.....I think it's arrogant of us to think that he's below us because of the football he plays....I'd rather watch his teams than that crock of @#/? on sunday.....C-mon Williams...do the deal.

Do you seriously think thats the answer?

The only thating that could have made Sunday any worse would have been to look over at the dug out and see some fat get chewing wrigleys like its going out of fashion, and realising that it was our manager.

NUFC fans will tell you that they have never witnessed worse football than when managed by Bog Sam.

Newcastle fans are up their own arses....nobody is good enough for them....

Sam seems the right kind of manager for us...small, local fan base....sam's record is good with a small side punching above its weight....

Do you have any better ideas?

Claudio Ranieri - he is doing a half decent job at Juve.... :D

Joking aside, I would keep PI until the end of the season. I just think a managerial change will just upset the applecart more.................

For the majority of time, I am sure JW and Souey got on well. However, near the end I do not think the relationship was that rosey. I am sure JW made some comments saying he was hard to reason with at times (referring to GS).

Doubt JW would re-appoint him and also doubt Souey would want a job where he has little money to spend.

Archived