BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] John Williams And His Role..

Hughes went up to £1.75m a year from £1m a year when he signed his extended contract with Rovers just over a year ago and moved to a contract of £3.5m a year at Man City. Ince was brought in on a three year deal of £1.5m a year leaving a £500K deal at MK Dons- the highest by a long way in the fourth level.

Even way back in 1997, Ince was pulling in £3.9m a year as the 7th highest paid footballer (from all sources) in the Premier League (this was the time he was being extremely rude and dismissive of the Rovers in TV interviews)

Sunday Mirror, Oct 19, 1997 by Bill Mills

E-mail Print Link << Page 1 Continued from page 1. Previous | Next

7. INCE

CLUBS: West Ham, Manchester United, AC Milan and Liverpool

In his early days at West Ham, Paul Ince was looked after by Ambrose Mendy, later jailed for forgery. Ince then turned to music agent Steve Kutner, who cashed in on the player's growing appeal with a pounds 1m Adidas deal.

But it wasn't until he quit United in 1995 that Ince's finances soared. Inter Milan paid pounds 6.5m for his signature with the player reportedly receiving pounds 2.5m in wages.

With wife Claire now in charge, Ince helped launch the Adidas Predator for pounds 1m. When he returned to Liverpool, agent Paul Stretford suddenly appeared on the scene as he signed a four-year deal worth pounds 18,000 a week.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hughes went up to £1.75m a year from £1m a year when he signed his extended contract with Rovers just over a year ago and moved to a contract of £3.5m a year at Man City. Ince was brought in on a three year deal of £1.5m a year leaving a £500K deal at MK Dons- the highest by a long way in the fourth level.

Even way back in 1997, Ince was pulling in £3.9m a year as the 7th highest paid footballer (from all sources) in the Premier League (this was the time he was being extremely rude and dismissive of the Rovers in TV interviews)

Sunday Mirror, Oct 19, 1997 by Bill Mills

E-mail Print Link << Page 1 Continued from page 1. Previous | Next

7. INCE

CLUBS: West Ham, Manchester United, AC Milan and Liverpool

In his early days at West Ham, Paul Ince was looked after by Ambrose Mendy, later jailed for forgery. Ince then turned to music agent Steve Kutner, who cashed in on the player's growing appeal with a pounds 1m Adidas deal.

But it wasn't until he quit United in 1995 that Ince's finances soared. Inter Milan paid pounds 6.5m for his signature with the player reportedly receiving pounds 2.5m in wages.

With wife Claire now in charge, Ince helped launch the Adidas Predator for pounds 1m. When he returned to Liverpool, agent Paul Stretford suddenly appeared on the scene as he signed a four-year deal worth pounds 18,000 a week.

What a load of rollocks

WTF have Ince’s earnings as a player in 1997 got to do with his contact as a manager in 2008-None whatsoever. Just admit you have no concrete evidence of Ince’s current wages?

So by your logic Tony Adams who had a comparative career to Ince as a player could command the same managerial salary as a Wenger or Benetiz?- neither of which had particularly notable playing careers. Managers contact’s are based on performance. A novice manager ( no matter who they were as players) will be on nowhere near the salaries of managers who have achieved and have experience

There is also no way that Ince was anywhere near 500k per annum in the fourth tier

Financially going down will be disasterous.

In other respects less. Here are a few reasons to be less disheartened:

1. Blackburn Rovers will not disappear. I am reliably informed that the likes of Ipswich Town, Coventry City and Crystal Palace haven't packed up and been outsourced to the Far East and are still dilligently plying their trade in the Championship.

2. The EPL at our level (i.e. outside the top 6) is ugly and morally corrosive. We spend our time hoping that the likes of Man Utd and Chelsea will beat the teams around us so that we are more likely to stay in the League - surely self-defeating and the eptome of self-loathing? Don't just take my word for it; Burnley only mustered 11,000 today, while Wolves have hardly been packing Molinieux in anticipation at another pointless year in the Premier League.

3. It's not like we will have to disband our successful Youth Academy; it's currrently a waste of time and needs a complete overhaul.

4. Maybe with a lower level of football and less of the fear factor that is engendered by participation in the EPL, we can eventually afford to bring locally groomed players through again, as per Jack Walker's intention.

5. I won't be sorry to see the back of several journeymen players who are only here for their own ego trip (MacCarthy, Roberts and Warnock immediately spring to mind).

6. Less of those rubbish Sunday afternnon kick offs to accomodate UEFA Cup 'action' in the mid-week, which usually involved the opposition playing some dead rubber match in eastern Ukraine in any case. Welcome back Saturday afternoon football.

7. We don't have to bother listening to the thoughts of greasy haired, fish toothed Peter Scudamore.

So that's 7 reasons and I could have waffled on.

No matter how bad this is, whatever happens; nothing will feel worse than losing 0-3 to Crystal Palace in the second leg Second Division play off final.

Nothing.

Oh I dont know, losing 3-0 to Arsenal at cardiff was pretty bloody low especially after so much alcohol :P

I like your thoughts LW, but it is such a sad state of affairs at the moment that I am just about to sink a treble whisky all in to mix with the several bottle sof lager eagerly consumed a short while ago ^_^

I have to shoulder all the blame on John Williams. He and the board are showing how incapable they are,of handling this situation. Ince should have been fired after the Sunderland game, yet was allowed to continue.

Stop being irrational. Why would they want a Premier League club that is not sellable at 40 million pounds to become a Championship club that wont be sellable at all?

They dont want us to go down but how much are they willing to gamble on it is open to debate!

They will net an actual benefit of about £55m by doing nothing and selling a few players.

Bryan said "i could've sworn that Ince's salary was 1.5 mill, can't remember where I read it though."

I've read that too and if it's true then it's an absolute disgrace considering what he would have been on at MK Dons...

The whole Ince affair has been a fiasco since his first press conference. What more is there to say other than Williams has to make the decision he should have made before the season even started. SACK INCE!

I'm just glad that Ince is the most 'thorough' manager JW has known.

We'd be in real trouble otherwise.

Thoroughly @#/??

Ince is a fraud and is clearly taking the pish waiting for his compensation money. But there is no other option other than to give it to him.

Pull the trigger JW - get him and his half witted inept back room team out of our club.

Archived