BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Curbishley For Rovers

• Backroom
Why not Joe Kinnear - he is doing ok at Newcastle

Completely worthless comparison... how are Kinnear and Curbishley similar in either past or present?

I'd like to see people back up their assertions that Curbishley is an awful manager with actual facts, rather than calling him 'boring' 'not good enough' or having 'gutless' teams. I'm not convinced he's anywhere near as bad as some of you are claiming him to be.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
Martin Jol.

Bit of a stretch, but the guy's got unfinished business here.

Why would Jol come here from Hamburg? He's doing very well there, and I don't think having 'unfinished business' here is enough of a motivator for him to join us.

Completely worthless comparison... how are Kinnear and Curbishley similar in either past or present?

I'd like to see people back up their assertions that Curbishley is an awful manager with actual facts, rather than calling him 'boring' 'not good enough' or having 'gutless' teams. I'm not convinced he's anywhere near as bad as some of you are claiming him to be.

You missed understood my post. I wasn't comparing the two. But putting another name into the hat as a suggestion for new manager.

I think Curbihley is a good manager - good experience in the prem with clubs on a small budget.

• Backroom
You missed understood my post. I wasn't comparing the two. But putting another name into the hat as a suggestion for new manager.

I think Curbihley is a good manager - good experience in the prem with clubs on a small budget.

Alright, I thought you were having a pop :P

Wouldn't take Kinnear personally... he's done okay with Newcastle, but he came in with absolutely no expectations and still has none. He'd have a hell of a lot of pressure at Rovers.

Alright, I thought you were having a pop :P

Wouldn't take Kinnear personally... he's done okay with Newcastle, but he came in with absolutely no expectations and still has none. He'd have a hell of a lot of pressure at Rovers.

I would have thought there was more pressure at Newcastle than Rovers - Supporter numbers - expectations of the same. Joe Kinnear is also in my view not a big time charlie like Ince is - and he gets the respect of the players.

• Backroom
I would have thought there was more pressure at Newcastle than Rovers - Supporter numbers - expectations of the same. Joe Kinnear is also in my view not a big time charlie like Ince is - and he gets the respect of the players.

Fact is, when he came in, he was not expected to win a single game. Fans were already so angered at the whole situation that anything other than straight losses for Kinnear would have been seen as success. Kinnear was originally only there as a stop-gap replacement, also, not a full-time manager, therefore again, he had in reality very little pressure.

He's done well in his role, and IF he's handed the reigns full time, which I doubt will happen, then there will be a bit of pressure. But even if he does fail in that scenario, it'd still be a case of 'i told you so' by most Newcastle supporters. He wouldn't really lose any credibility.

If we signed him as manager, not only would we lose credibility as a club by employing Newcastle's stop-gap manager, but there'd be far more expectation on Kinnear to do for Rovers what he has done with Newcastle.

Don't see it working.

Sam wouldnt be a bad manager in fairness, i would like to see him takeover

I honestly believe that, if you go for Allardyce, he will keep you up. That's got to be your main deciding factor. Anyone who thinks that Blackburn Rovers (or Bolton Wanderers for that matter) would benefit from a season or two in the Rola Cola league (as someone said on this site) is definitely in la-la land.

I'm not sure that you'll sack Ince though.

Why were Charlton fans, on the whole, NOT devastated that Curbishley left?

Why were West Ham fans very happy that Curbs got the chop?

Because, ladies and gentlemen, Curbs is a mediocre manager who is highly cautious and dogmatic. To stabilise Charlton in the Premier League was a decent achievement but we must not get carried away with that. He enjoyed the limelight but it all went very stale. His strength is his obdurate nature and cautious, unostentatious approach - but he lacks ambition, he can't see the big picture, he cannot dream - and his teams reflect this in being very prosaic and inexpressive and, frankly, gutless.

Steve Jones, the ex-Charlton defender is often on my local radio station and he often criticises, in a balanced and respectful manner, Curbishley of being way too cautious and lacking charisma.

Could Curbs come in a do a rescue act? Perhaps, but we don't want to find ourselves in the same situation next season, if we can help it. I suspect, that if we appoint Curbs, and the new manager effect levitates us to safety, it won't be long before Mr P'raps (his favourite word) has us back in the mire.

Only a desperate resort, imo. I'd prefer, I say with a much tenseness of jaw, Allardyci. That said, I want Ince to be given two/three games to save his skin.

I honestly believe that, if you go for Allardyce, he will keep you up.

So do I. And given time he would build Rovers into the same curmudgeonly, difficult-to-beat and successul outfit that Bolton were under his stewardship.

Because, ladies and gentlemen, Curbs is a mediocre manager who is highly cautious and dogmatic. To stabilise Charlton in the Premier League was a decent achievement but we must not get carried away with that. He enjoyed the limelight but it all went very stale. His strength is his obdurate nature and cautious, unostentatious approach - but he lacks ambition, he can't see the big picture, he cannot dream - and his teams reflect this in being very prosaic and inexpressive and, frankly, gutless.

Steve Jones, the ex-Charlton defender is often on my local radio station and he often criticises, in a balanced and respectful manner, Curbishley of being way too cautious and lacking charisma.

Could Curbs come in a do a rescue act? Perhaps, but we don't want to find ourselves in the same situation next season, if we can help it. I suspect, that if we appoint Curbs, and the new manager effect levitates us to safety, it won't be long before Mr P'raps (his favourite word) has us back in the mire.

Only a desperate resort, imo. I'd prefer, I say with a much tenseness of jaw, Allardyci. That said, I want Ince to be given two/three games to save his skin.

I used to work with a Charlton Athletic season ticket holder who always used to quote their terrace song (sung to the tune of "Polly Wolly Doodle"):

Curbishley.

Curbishley.

Alan Curbishley.

He's got no personality.

Alan Curbishley!

Apt and to the point, I always thought.

Because a) they thought they could do better and bigger things without him. See where that went? Now the Charlton fans want him back desperately!

B) Curbs was very vocal about the lack of communication and backing he was getting from his chairman. JW would be completely different though, as if he gives him a interview JW will know exactly what AC wants to be in the job...

As the Poll is at 61% for Ince out, the options by some on the board seem to be Sam or Curb's.

I don't usualy do the stats thing, but was bored, and it's raining where I am, so here goes.

Apart from the style of football, this is what you get from Sam and Curb's

Curbs

G W L D Win % Points %

Charlton Athletic 720 274 259 187 38.06 46.71

West Ham United 71 29 28 14 40.85 47.41

Total 791 283 287 201 39.45 47,06

Sam

G W L D Win % Points %

Blackpool 102 44 35 23 43.13 50.65

Notts County 145 56 50 39 38.62 47.59

Bolton Wanderers 370 153 114 103 41.35 50.63

Newcastle United 24 8 6 10 33.33 47.22

Total 641 261 185 175 39.10 49.02

The Welsh Ones comparison

G W L D Win % Points %

Blackburn Rovers 188 82 59 47 43.62 49.32

Manchester City 22 11 8 3 50 45.55

Total 210 93 67 50 44.29 47.43

Over a 38 game season thats.

Sam with 55.88 points

Curbs with 53.64 points

MH with 54.07 points

You could if you wanted break it down into Premier games only, fro a better comperison with MH, but I can't be bothered. :D

A big no to Curbishley. Did you actually see what rubbish he bought with the huge transfer kitty he was handed by the Icelandic owners in January 2007 and the following summer? He's got absolutely no knowledge of up-and-coming players and players from the continent, which is why the West Ham board brought in technical director Gianluca Nani. Check out this list of the footballing gems Curbs brought in during his West Ham spell:

Lucas Neill

Kieron Dyer (£6m - has played TWO league matches for West Ham so far)

Scott Parker [£6m - 29 league matches so far)

Craig Bellamy (£7.5 m - 17 league matches)

Luis Boa Morte (£5 m - rated as the worst West Ham player since Marco Boogers, and has been booed off for over a year)

Matthew Upson (£7.5 m - granted, a good player, but £7.5m? Give me a break)

Julien Faubert (£6.1 m - has been absolutely dire in the 19 matches he has played for West Ham)

Calum Davenport (£3m - yes, that is THREE MILLION POUNDS paid for Calum Davenport)

Nigel Quashie (£1.75m - footballing genius)

I've got several West Ham friends, and have spent quite a lot of time at the West Ham forum (www.kumb.com) the past couple of years. Almost noone liked Curbs and his extremely negative football and non-existant tactical nous. The three 4-0 defeats in a row this last winter spring to mind. His gameplan when West Ham was a goal or two down often consisted of taking off Mark Noble or some other attacking player and sticking Hayden Mullins on (a defensive midfielder who's a worse passer of the football than Mokoena). His teams often have a habit of just giving up when halfway through the season and when relegation is out of the question. The West Ham fans had been calling for Curbs' head for over six months when he finally got the boot, due to his extremely negative football and personality. Check out West Ham's form from January to May 2008. Not exactly an impressive sight. Curbs is NOT the answer.

I cannot believe the amount of flack Curbishley is getting here. He built a club like Charlton into a formidable Premiership outfit from the mess they were the many seasons before that. His nouse in the transfer market and bringing through players into a solid well balanced team at Charlton is something that we are in dire need of at present. I'd be pretty certain that some of the transfer dealings at West Ham went over his head and eventually contributed to him leaving the club earlier this season.

He also managed to help West Ham avoid relegation in 2006 regardless of his transfer policy or not. Some people have a really short memory as to how awful Curbishley is when it comes to his tenure at West Ham when playing Rovers.

2006/7: 2-1 win (Ewood)

2007/8: 2-1 win (Upton Park) 1-0 win (Ewood)

2008/9: 4-1 win (Upton Park)

12 from 12? Not bad for an awful manager that.

The guy has proven experience and the statistics in general of his time at Charlton and West Ham show that he knows how to get a team winning football matches. He can be as boring as he wants but if gets us back to winning ways I couldn't give a toss.

Be under no illusions,Curbishley did a half decent job at Charlton with no pressure at all,but anybody who thinks Curbishley would do a decent job at Rovers must be crackers.IMO he isn`t anywhere near good enough for us and as Lurid Coat pointed out,his transfer policy is dreadful and on a par with Roy Hodgson for paying over the odds for mediocre players.

Archived