BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Vs. Portsmouth Preview

Amo

Portsmouth vs. Blackburn

This winter Sunday afternoon sees Blackburn travel to the south-coast to take on Portsmouth at the proverbial 'Fortress Fratton':

frattonpark3zg8.jpg

As you can probably guess, we’re talking ‘fortress’ in the metaphorical sense, based on the fervent supporters and the team's underdog spirit under Harry Redknapp. There are some rumours this archaic stadium is actually made out of breadsticks and shellac, which could be true given the number of seagulls that hover ominously overhead.

Portsmouth did reveal plans to develop a new £100m stadium on the waterfront by 2011.

pompey1un6.jpg

However, with rumours of owner Alexandre Gaydamak desperate to sell the club due to crippling debt, and bankers insisting on a retail element to the stadium, Portsmouth have returned to the drawing board and talk of the new stadium has quietened.

Portsmouth themselves are going through somewhat of transition after Harry ‘Houdini’ Redknapp left the club for the second successive time, this time for Tottenham Hotspur. When explaining himself to the local Portsmouth press, Harry revealed it was too good an opportunity to turn down because he’s always been a Spurs fan at heart. Which is interesting, as in his own autobiography Harry says he actually followed their bitter rivals Arsenal as a kid. Another testament to the loyalty at Fratton Park was Harry Redknapp’s former assistant Joe Jordan having a gentleman’s agreement to stay with the South Coast club. However, the next day, Jordan had also left for sunny White Hart Lane.

Redknapp has been replaced by his apprentice and former Arsenal stalwart Tony Adams, who now has the challenge of sustaining Portsmouth’s Premiership status whilst keeping hold of their best assets. But former boss Redknapp will have no qualms about raiding his former club for the likes of Jermain Defoe, Peter Crouch, or Lassana Diarra.

Last Five League Games

Portsmouth –

vs. Hull (H) D 2-2

vs. West Ham (A) D 0-0

vs. Sunderland (A) W 2-1

vs. Wigan (H) L 2-1

vs. Liverpool (A) L 1-0

Blackburn –

vs. Tottenham (A) L 1-0

vs. Sunderland (H) L 2-1

vs. Chelsea (H) L 2-0

vs. West Brom (A) D 0-0

vs. Aston Villa (A) L 3-2

While Portsmouth have made a stuttering start under Adams, Portsmouth still find themselves 8th in the Premier League table. Blackburn have lost three matches in succession and haven’t bagged a win for over eight league games. Sunday's game finds two young managers who will need to show the mettle of their playing days to handle the pressure of top-level management.

I asked friend and lifelong Portsmouth supporter Mark W about Sunday’s game:

Q. First things first, what are you thoughts on Redknapp jumping ship for Tottenham?

I think it’s been devastating for Pompey, losing him so suddenly at the beginning of such a promising season, but I can see why he left. While Sasha’s been great to the club with his backing in the transfer market, he can’t compete with the sort of money that Harry will get at Spurs. On top of that, they’ve got a decent squad, a great stadium, solid support, fantastic derbies and, at the time he joined, there was no way they could go but up. Also, when you take into account the rumours of Pompey’s mounting financial crisis, it makes a lot of sense for him to have gone. I think if his exit has been a more dignified affair, more Portsmouth fans would agree.

Q. What are you first impressions of Tony Adams’ management? Do you think he has what it takes to be a success at Portsmouth?

While it’s difficult to tell how the players are reacting to him behind the scenes, the evidence so far has been inconclusive. At times they’ve played some really decent football, notably the first 20 minutes against Hull, but they also have a habit of conceding late, sloppy goals, which is something you wouldn’t have associated with them under Redknapp. While Adams’ reign hasn’t been overly encouraging on the whole thus far, the players need time to adjust to his methods and tactics. Come the New Year, we should have a better idea of how well equipped he is to manage the club.

Q. What do you think of Blackburn and Paul Ince this season?

I feel Blackburn have been disappointing so far this season. They’ve lost their edge at home; Arsenal have always found playing there a challenging fixture, yet they romped to a 0-4 victory, and probably should have had more. Pedersen has faded into obscurity, and whenever Santa Cruz is injured, it’s difficult to see where the goals will come from.

I thought Ince dealt with the rumours of dressing room disharmony pretty well in the summer, and started promisingly with victory in the opening game of the season. Since then however, his demeanour in interviews has been anxious and defensive. And while there has been some poor refereeing decisions this season, I feel he needs to accept a little more of the responsibility for his team’s failings. With the fans already growing restless, results need to start improving sooner rather than later if he’s to survive past January.

Q. What do you think of Blackburn & Portsmouth’s transfer activity?

The purchase of Peter Crouch was an excellent piece of business by Portsmouth, and the loan signings of Belhadj and Traoré haven proven to be shrewd acquisitions. While losing Muntari and Mendes wasn’t ideal, it’s understandable, bearing in mind their financial difficulties.

However, I think Blackburn fans have every right to feel under-whelmed with their clubs transfer dealings. They lost an incredibly experienced and reliable goalkeeper in Brad Friedel and replaced him with the error prone Paul Robinson, who in fairness, has performed pretty well so far. Other than that, they lost the gem in their crown in David Bentley, and neglected to shell out for a decent replacement, and signed Keith Andrews from MK Dons; a signing which is unlikely to appease any Premier League fan-base.

Q. What’s your prediction for today’s game?

Pompey are going through something of a Jekyll and Hyde period at the moment, and they’ll miss Defoe’s movement and penetration while he’s injured. Blackburn have been leaking goals this season, but despite that I think they’ll hold Pompey to a 1-1 draw.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At a ground where traditionally The Rovers have had some great results over the years (as well as the odd failure of course) it is going to be the end of the Paul Ince regime hopefully.

Pompy 3 Rovers 0

This club of ours non stop freefall ends after this game because we cannot get any lower until May 2009. :(

"We were up for this from the start.....we were magnificent - we battled it out from the start and kept the home crowd so quiet - you could hear a pin drop and I've never seen such a one sided game away from home. Fowler and Jansen are quality and made them look like a bunch of amateurs at the back and we controlled the game from start to finish. I was so proud of the lads. what John... yes 3-0 was unlucky but we were right up for it and didn't get what we deserved....Paul Robinson was inspired in midfield and sending Tugay on 2 mins from the end well... "

3-0 Pompey!

Back to basics now i think for this game:

Robinson

Emerton Nelsen Samba Warnock

Pedersen Tugay Andrews Treacy

Benni Santa Cruz

I think his only option is to put Pedersen on the right as he tracks back well and can link up play. He may also put some decent crosses in whilst cutting in from the right.

But to be honest we are really struggling for confidence and players.

Robinson

Benni Santa Cruz

I think his only option is to put Pedersen on the right as he tracks back well and can link up play. He may also put some decent crosses in whilst cutting in from the right.

Agree - settle a back four who can do the job and build from there - my team too - what's the odds on that though?

Decided to go to this one after finding myself a cheap train fare and the possible hope that we might get something from the game. I'm a bit unsure about Portsmouth under Tony Adams and I reckon if we put in a half decent performance we can cause them problems.

Any decent boozers near Fratton?

Robinson

Benni Santa Cruz

Would play that but have Villanueva instead of Andrews in CM. Not his ideal position but he's got to be better than Andrews in that position and if we're going to win this we need a special moment, a flash of inspiration and Carlos is much more likely to provide this.

Would play that but have Villanueva instead of Andrews in CM. Not his ideal position but he's got to be better than Andrews in that position and if we're going to win this we need a special moment, a flash of inspiration and Carlos is much more likely to provide this.

I totally disagree. Im my opinion Andrews has contributed far more than Carlos so far in the Premier League. He should start above Carlos, but i would bring him on later in the game - maybe he could fall over and knock the ball into the path of Roberts who will get one on one and fluff it, god we have some poor players.

I totally disagree. Im my opinion Andrews has contributed far more than Carlos so far in the Premier League. He should start above Carlos, but i would bring him on later in the game - maybe he could fall over and knock the ball into the path of Roberts who will get one on one and fluff it, god we have some poor players.

That's because Andrews has played the majority of our games while Carlos has hardly figured and when he has he's invariably been on the right. Hardly the best prep for a new import from Chile. Andrews is anonymous for the vast majority of games, occasionally chipping in with the odd pass and one good strike which makes everyone think he's done better than he has. At least if you stick Carlos in the middle he'll be something nearer his natural position.

Okay, but for Carlos to play he needs legs next to him. Which means either Warnock, Emerton or Andrews as otherwise our midfield will be totally overrun yet again and this put players out of position yet again.

Can you imagine Carlos going on a run losing then losing the ball, he would run back by which time the ball might be in the other corner, he runs over there and yet again the ball has gone, whilst leaving a massive gap........he would look lost.

He needs to be behind the front two if he plays, so he can be the creator of our offensive play.

He runs like a scuttling pig, but i hope he comes on a scores a hat-trick.

Warnock back is a big boost - he has to go to left back again. I am also tempted to move Emerton to right back like others but I am just not that sure we can play anyone else right midfield.

I would probs go for:

-------------Cruz----McCarthy

--Treacy-------Andrews--------Emerton

-------------------Tugay

Warnock---Ooijer---Samba---Simpson

------------------Robinson

How far is Grella away from recovery? When he is fit he is going to make a massive difference to the side with a calm head and physicality. edit - physio room says 13th December.

Pedersen for me will be more likely to make an impression from the bench as he seems to get so radically affected by how many games he has played.

Robinson

Emerton - Zurab - Ooijer - Warnock

Haworth - Tugay - Vogel - Pedersen

Villanueva

Santa Cruz.

With our limited options out wide, I would certainly give Haworth a go on the right so Emerton can settle in at right-back. The young guy impressed against Sunderland in the cup, so why not? After watching our performance against Tottenham, I don't think there's much of a gamble throwing him into the starting line-up.

Vogel won't play - as we all know - but he should. Get him and Tugay on the ball and allow Villanueva to make the space for Santa Cruz.

I hope we go for roughly the same lineup as that above. We certainly need Emerton and Warnock as our full backs and Tugay back in the team...rather worrying to have to rely on a 38-year old but beggars can´t be choosers. Would probably go for Benni behind Roque rather than Viillanueva with Carlos coming on as sub maybe.

Vogel is getting paid each week by the club and should be at least in the squad for once.

We really have to win this one as that is what we desperately need to raise confidence. A draw would be a good result but not what we need right now to try and lift the gloom around the club.

Robinson

Emerton - Zurab - Ooijer - Warnock

Haworth - Tugay - Vogel - Pedersen

Villanueva

Santa Cruz.

:o:o:o

Just goes to show how it's a game of opinions, I think that's as bad a line up as we could possibly field with the players available!

I'd go:

Robinson

Simpson Samba Zurab Warnock

Emerton Andrews Tugay MGP

RSC McCarthy

:o:o:o

Just goes to show how it's a game of opinions, I think that's as bad a line up as we could possibly field with the players available!

Would you care to explain why?

Defence -Zurab and Ooijer are both reliable centre-backs and did very well when paired together against Everton. And it's time Emerton and Warnock were moved back to their best positions.

Midfield - Haworth is a gamble, but he's young and hungry and did well against Sunderland. We're hardly blessed with options down the right-hand side, so I think he's worth a go. In the middle, we would have Tugay and Vogel who are both good footballers and can create the build-up play for someone like Villanueva to pick it up and support Santa Cruz. My only problem is Vogel wouldn't be sharp at all, having no games under his belt in the first-team or even the reserves. But he's a more hopeful prospect than Mokoena or Andrews, who were shocking against Spurs.

Striker - One up front in Santa Cruz could benefit us in that with Villanueva supporting him the two of them could create enough space to expose the Pompey backline. I think we'll be playing into their hands if we stick McCarthy and Cruz up front and just hopelessly smack balls at them all day.

Archived