BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Vs. Portsmouth Preview

Amo

Would you care to explain why?

Defence -Zurab and Ooijer are both reliable centre-backs and did very well when paired together against Everton. And it's time Emerton and Warnock were moved back to their best positions.

Midfield - Haworth is a gamble, but he's young and hungry and did well against Sunderland. We're hardly blessed with options down the right-hand side, so I think he's worth a go. In the middle, we would have Tugay and Vogel who are both good footballers and can create the build-up play for someone like Villanueva to pick it up and support Santa Cruz. My only problem is Vogel wouldn't be sharp at all, having no games under his belt in the first-team or even the reserves. But he's a more hopeful prospect than Mokoena or Andrews, who were shocking against Spurs.

Striker - One up front in Santa Cruz could benefit us in that with Villanueva supporting him the two of them could create enough space to expose the Pompey backline. I think we'll be playing into their hands if we stick McCarthy and Cruz up front and just hopelessly smack balls at them all day.

Where to start - you've left out our best centre half (Samba), Haworth is in no way shape or form ready for the Premiership, ditto Vogel who I think is poor in the first place and in any event wouldn't be match fit and Carlos hasn't shown anything at all in recent games despite considerable early promise.

Not wanting to fall out about it, it's a game of opinions as I said.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where to start - you've left out our best centre half (Samba), Haworth is in no way shape or form ready for the Premiership, ditto Vogel who I think is poor in the first place and in any event wouldn't be match fit and Carlos hasn't shown anything at all in recent games despite considerable early promise.

Not wanting to fall out about it, it's a game of opinions as I said.

Hey, I only asked you to elaborate. I didn't take offence. ;)

I'm not the biggest fan of Samba, to be honest. Sometimes he's immense, and other times he loses the plot. I know Zurab & Ooijer are hardly untouchable themselves, but they fill me with more confidence than Samba.

Villanueva needs to play games, and in his best position. Otherwise, he's just being wasted and we haven't got enough evidence to judge whether he's worth the money or not.

No idea what to think about Sunday but Pompey v AC Milan on Thursday is one of the more intriguing games this season.

No doubt Ince will still moan about something post match and not even mention the fact that Pompey have played on the Thursday. Something along the lines of "well Carlos and Treacey were shattered out there today-don't forget they've had a grueling fixture list of late, what with the reserve game in midweek too".

I can see us nicking something here, I don't think they'll have Diarra or Defoe playing so in theory it should be a good time to play them. Then again every team in the land probably wants a crack at us right now.

Pompey 1 Rovers 1

Edit: Just seen that Defoe could be fit now. We could really struggle against his pace and movement.

In no way do i think rovers will play well in this match if the last match is anything to go by. But as pompey are sort of struggling themselves we could get a draw but will more than likely lose. And before anyone says stop being negative or pessimistic, I am not, i am just being realistic.

Sure I would love if we won but cant for the life of me see it happening..

God I feel despondent. I've looked at all those suggested linups and none of them fill me with confidence. Worse still I can't suggest one myself either. :(

Maybe I will win the lottery this week but will it make me feel better? :wacko:

I'd go with:

Robinson

Emerton - Samba - Nelsen - Warnock

mgp - Vogel (if he is fit) / Mokoena - Andrews - Villaneuva

Santa Cruz - McCarthy

This won't happen and it is even less likely than the other formation I wouldn't mind seeing us try in which we play.

Samba - Nelsen - Ooijer

Emerton - Warnock (as fullbacks who are instructed to get forward)

mgp - Vogel or Tugay or Mokoena - villanueva

Benni - Santa Cruz

God I feel despondent. I've looked at all those suggested linups and none of them fill me with confidence. Worse still I can't suggest one myself either. :(

Maybe I will win the lottery this week but will it make me feel better? :wacko:

I know where you are coming from. All those line ups with Andrew in and then some with Andrews and Mokoena. FFS we saw that v Spurs please don't let us have to go through that pain again.

My team would be:

Robbo

Ooijer Samba Nelsen Warnock

Emerton Tugs Mokoena Peds

Rocky Benni

subs: Andrews, Carlos, Zurab, Tracey, Judge, Derbyshire Brown

The thing with Zurab is he's excellent for 80-85 mins then switches off completley for a bit and makes some horrendous errors. I'd prefer Ooijer at cb and Emerton at rb as Nelsen's form hasn't been great but who would we put right mid?

In fact I'd like Emerton in the centre as well but sadly that's not possible either. I'd go for Tugs and Mokoena as 1) we need some much needed creativity and 2) Tugs is needed and isn't that great defensively and I reckon the axe is a more solid defensive player than andrews and will compensate better.

If we can get the ball up to the front 2 they can cause havoc - and peds and emerton have the legs to support them.

Simpson erratic going forward and positionally poor at the back - plus not ours - why persever with him. Roberts, shocking, I'd drop and see if he gets the hint to buck up.

Think we won't loose but a draw isn't infeasible. Not a bad time to play Pompey and if we can tighten up a bit at the back we might even nab the win.

1-1 Rocky to score for us

Pompy have a few problems of their own and I'm praying the Milan game on Thursday may make them weaker for Sunday.

After a poor start to the season, they turned it around only to see Arry jump ship to Spurs, so it's left to Tone to pick up the pieces.

They have had a few pastings this season, 6-0 to Citeh the heaviest. I think the game will be won on whoever creates the most chances for the strikers, we have Santa and benni, they have little and large.

Whoever gets a decent supply line will score the goals to claim the 3 points.

Portsmouth are very strong physically all over the pitch and have a lot of height throughout the team bar Defoe. Although my preferred centre back pairing is Nelsen and Zurab, I feel Samba will play to deal with the ariel threat of Crouch.

I think we will line up if Ince is still in charge as:

Robinson

Simpson Samba Nelsen Warnock

Emerton Tugay Andrews Pedersen

Santa Cruz McCarthy

We have to show some fight to get anything from the game, if we go 1-0 down i fear the players heads will drop and we will roll over.

I'm predicting a score draw, Pedersen got a good record down south and I think he will find the net again.

Pompy have a few problems of their own and I'm praying the Milan game on Thursday may make them weaker for Sunday.

After a poor start to the season, they turned it around only to see Arry jump ship to Spurs, so it's left to Tone to pick up the pieces.

They have had a few pastings this season, 6-0 to Citeh the heaviest. I think the game will be won on whoever creates the most chances for the strikers, we have Santa and benni, they have little and large.

Whoever gets a decent supply line will score the goals to claim the 3 points.

Portsmouth are very strong physically all over the pitch and have a lot of height throughout the team bar Defoe. Although my preferred centre back pairing is Nelsen and Zurab, I feel Samba will play to deal with the ariel threat of Crouch.

I think we will line up if Ince is still in charge as:

Robinson

Simpson Samba Nelsen Warnock

Emerton Tugay Andrews Pedersen

Santa Cruz McCarthy

We have to show some fight to get anything from the game, if we go 1-0 down i fear the players heads will drop and we will roll over.

I'm predicting a score draw, Pedersen got a good record down south and I think he will find the net again.

Isn't the little 'un forward injured?

You've suggested Samba to combat Crouch, but last season Samba struggled against Crouch.

Personally and I don't why because I've seen nothing to support it, I don't think Rovers will get beat.

Now wheres my medication?

If Hughes were in charge, we'd be looking forwards to a routine away win.

Fratton Park has been a good hunting ground for us in recent years apart from that crashing to earth with a nasty bump 3-0 defeat on the opening day of the season two years ago.

Pompey are a club in total disarray, the agents of most the players are working flat out to get them away from there in the January window and they have lost a talismatic manager recently and have a young and relatively untested new man in place.

In many ways this is a win, win for Rovers apart from the fact that Ince has probably been allowed to soldier on for a game longer than he should have been given.

A win and we might lift ourselves out of the relegation places but we will need a run like Spurs have just gone on to really get ourselves out of the mire and I don't think anybody believes Ince is remotely capable of doing that with the Rovers- Liverpool the next game so let's see if he can;

A defeat and I get the feeling that this is the crunch game so Rovers can start picking themselves up again looking forwards to new management.

So this means it is bound to result in a draw which won't get us out of the relegation places, won't get Ince fired but who knows might be the point that is the difference between survival and relagation next May.

I know where you are coming from. All those line ups with Andrew in and then some with Andrews and Mokoena. FFS we saw that v Spurs please don't let us have to go through that pain again.

And I think most, if not all, had Pedersen in there.

There's a decent player in there somewhere, perhaps, waiting to break out of that frail Norwegian body.

However, I don't think Bolton reject Knox, and ex-Wigan boss don't-let-me-near-a-microphone Matthias are the ones to help him break out.

Pleased Warnock is back, please lads put on a good show perhaps even a point!!! I don't know how much longer my heart cam take our current form.

Since its always quite fun to name your team, here's mine:

----------------------Robbo------------------------

Emerton-----Ooijer---------Samba-----Warnock

---------------------Tugay-------------------------

----Andrews-------Villaneuva------MGP-----------

---------------RSC-----------Benni-------------------

Sod it, we don't have any wingers so 3 in the middle, width will have to come from the full backs hence emerton and Warnock. Tugay can just sit there now, since we seem to be falling into the long ball trap Tugay must play to prevent it. Andrews and MGP purely on work rate both will put in a shift, both have the engines to support villa and Tugay as the situation requires. With 5 players around him villa will have plenty of ball, especially with Tugay behind him feeding him and two targets in RSC and Benni. Ooijer gets the nod purely because his reading of the game and organisational skills (IMO) will be required with both full backs pushing on. I'm also keen to see him control the defence he does it well for Holland.

We don't have the personnel to play 442 at the moment, no matter how it gets laid out, its lacks balance. It'll probably never work, but since Simpson and Andrews went "Brazilian" why not the whole team!!!

Villa looks the best chance we have of creating an opening or two from open play so stick him in the hole and protect him, they can do all the up and down work. Every-time we "lob" the ball up front it comes straight back so on top of Benni, villa can be there to offer another option other than a "punt".

Tugay is a must for me he was against spurs if you want to play passing football surely you should play your best passer of the ball. We create nothing from open play, so play our two most creative players, Villa and Tugay.

Robinson

Bert - Zurab - Ooijer - Samba - Warnock

Andrews - Tugay - Moko

Santa Cruz - Benni Mc

Won't score but it will be solid for 70 mins then: Tugay -> Carlos, Warnock -> Olson, Worst CB for -> Simpson;

Robinson

Simpson - Ooijer - Samba - Olson

Bert - Andrews - Moko - Carlos

Santa Cruz - Benni Mc

Suddenly a lot of pace and movement down the flanks against tired legs.

Archived