BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Vs. Portsmouth Preview

Amo

I've never been a fan of the 5-3-2/3-5-2, and I'm still not, but we don't have the personell to play 4-4-2 or 4-5-1/4-2-3-1.

We have a couple of centre halves who read the game well and are solid, but slow. We have one extremely athletic centre half with no discipline or vision. So lets play them together and have two from Zurab/Nelsen/Ooijer hold the line while Samba does his thing. In a 4-4-2, if Samba succeeds with his risky interceptions and tackles then we're golden, but when he misses them someone is wide open. This way we could prevent that.

We have two full backs who have excellent workrate and stamina, and who are good both going forward and defending, but excell in neither. And we don't have any good wingers. So play them as wing backs.

We have a very creative attacking midfielder who doesn't quite fit anywhere but in the hole, which needs two other central midfielders beside him. So then lets play him in the hole with two strikers in front of him and two midfielders behind him.

With the players we have, 3-5-2 makes sense. Sadly I feel that the inherent flaws in that formation (There's a reason so few teams use it) will outweigh the benefit of us having the players for it. But then again why not try? Surely it can't get much worse than it is...

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

olsson will be suspended wont he. this should force ince into playing warnock at his favoured left back position. suddenly our defence looks alot stronger. now just need to get the right balance in midfield as i believe our strikers mccarthy and santa have what it takes to batter pompeys defence.

it's wrong and evil but I can't help wishing their first team squad is kidnapped and held hostage for the next 5 days.............

Whilst you are on your evil train of thought ,could you wish that their reserve team is held as well......

I've never been a fan of the 5-3-2/3-5-2, and I'm still not, but we don't have the personell to play 4-4-2 or 4-5-1/4-2-3-1.

Not a bad shout.

Robinson

Emerton Ooijer Samba Nelsen Warnock

Villanueva (and 2 others)

Santa Cruz McCarthy

Just tell Emerton and Warnock to do a forest gump and cross the ball at every opportunity. At worst we should stop conceding so many 'cheap' goals! I totally agree about having the personel to play 442 effectively.

Lawro is predicting Pompey to win 2-1; he only predicted one correct result last week and that was Spurs to beat us.

The extremely scary thing this week-end is that the four clubs immediately above the relegation zone: Stoke, Sunderland, Wigan and Spurs all have emminently winnable home games.

So even if we win, we will probably still be in the relegation zone and if we lose we good be 4 points from safety plus the terrible goal difference making us effectively five points adrift.

That is getting really scary. And Liverpool up next....

Lets be real Phil

we are not going to win at Portsmouth

we will get slammed by liverpool

we will get absolutley pummelled in the carling cup by manure

by mid December our club will be desperate, devoid of any clues of how to rescue the situation and destined for the drop.

That is the reality of our precarious position and if Ince thinks otherwise then fair play, he is off with the fairies <_<

The thing that worries me is if we grab a desperate win, will it just be papering over the cracks of Ince's regime? I'd love Ince to get the tactics spot on and use it to push on for the rest of the season, but I'm also thinking long-term here.

Lets be real Phil

we are not going to win at Portsmouth

we will get slammed by liverpool

we will get absolutley pummelled in the carling cup by manure

by mid December our club will be desperate, devoid of any clues of how to rescue the situation and destined for the drop.

That is the reality of our precarious position and if Ince thinks otherwise then fair play, he is off with the fairies <_<

Alternatively:

We get a win or draw at Portsmouth

We play well at Manure but lose as per normal

We beat Liverpool 1-0 as per normal

If we stop believing these kind of results are possible then we might as well stop supporting the team

If we stop believing these kind of results are possible then we might as well stop supporting the team

Our manager initially suggested that it is very unlikely that we can beat any of the top 4, so what are we meant to think??

I will always follow my club and support them.

I will always support the players who wear the shirt but only if they put the required effort in, I have no time for idlers and passengers.

I cant do with whingers and whiners at the club, I dont like excuses. I enjoy a manager who is prepared to accept his mistakes not to try and cover them up with pathetic excuses.

At this time I still love my club but I do not support the manager.

Anyone wathcing pompy on tv ?

currently 0-0 but the crescendo of noise is deafening.

They are playing Kanu and crouch up front and are doing quite well

• Backroom

I think we'll lose 2-1 in this one I think we'll struggle to deal with Crouch, at least we don't have to deal with the pace of defoe as well.

Defoe and diarra for me are what Rovers could have been if only we had that extra cash those 2 would have been the players to push us to the next level.

If we do lose it surely has to be the end for Ince, I still fancy with time he will be a good premiership manager but we just don't have time, if someone new was to come in he has to have a few games before making decisions on transfers (i have a feeling Sam will be keeping a close eye on the squad at the moment - maybe he's playing as Rovers on football manager)

This game is giving me some serious mixed feelings.

I was happy to see the goal go in, I like a lot of Portsmouth's players and Adams is the sort of character who is IMO cut out to succeed in management and someone I've always liked.

But on the other hand, with the position we're in it's just depressing. Partly because of the Birmingham game last season and how we shouldve at least been in Europe this season, but more because there's a sizeable chance we may not see European nights again at Ewood for a very long time. If we get relegated we may never see them again in our generation.

This game is giving me some serious mixed feelings.

I was happy to see the goal go in, I like a lot of Portsmouth's players and Adams is the sort of character who is IMO cut out to succeed in management and someone I've always liked.

But on the other hand, with the position we're in it's just depressing. Partly because of the Birmingham game last season and how we shouldve at least been in Europe this season, but more because there's a sizeable chance we may not see European nights again at Ewood for a very long time. If we get relegated we may never see them again in our generation.

2-0. They've been a joy to watch tonight. Fair play to them.

Archived