BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Xbox 360 Has Died Again

So this time my xbox has gone down with the E74 error, which isn't covered by the 3 year warranty like the 3 rings of death and I'm also reluctant to lose my xbox for several weeks. So I was wondering if anyone had dealt with the E74 error ? Also, I think I'll just buy a new xbox seeing as I've had this one for a few years and it is likely to just continue to break down at this point, so is their a big difference between the premium and elite apart from the hdd size? Finally, there isn't going to be a new version coming out anytime soon will there?

Eddie,

Youtube that error. I just did and there are many people posting clips on how to fix it. I haven't got sound on my machine at the moment so couldn't listen to what they were saying and so didnt want to post a direct link in case they were talking rubbish.

All the clips though look like people have the lid off the console and there is some messing around to do so its up to you if you want to go down that path.

Maybe time for a PS3 :P

so is their a big difference between the premium and elite apart from the hdd size? Finally, there isn't going to be a new version coming out anytime soon will there?

I don't pretend to eve know how to switch on an Xbox but with Christmas coming up I'm in the market for one. All the research I've done suggests the Premium is the best value of the three options and the current best deal is to be had with Amazon

They do have some good offers, unfortunately France isn't as good for these things. The best I can find is 299 euros for an elite, controller and 2 games (Kung Fu panda and Lego Indiana Jones). Hopefully I'll be able to get the guy in the store to change the games and then it isn't a terrible deal.

Suprised that this error is not covered by Microsoft given all the bad publicity around the RROD error. I believe that the newer XBOX models have had the flux/heat sink changed in them resulting in it being more resiliant to the RROD.

Edit - After googling error E74 it would seem that this issue id also linked to the console overheating. Maybe this error and the RROD go ahnd in hand?

http://ezinearticles.com/?Xbox-E74---What-...&id=1523629

Just get a PS3 :D

Edit 2 - Another link here

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=484726

Please note that I am in no way an XBOX expert, so take these with a pinch of salt

:brfc:

They do have some good offers, unfortunately France isn't as good for these things. The best I can find is 299 euros for an elite, controller and 2 games (Kung Fu panda and Lego Indiana Jones). Hopefully I'll be able to get the guy in the store to change the games and then it isn't a terrible deal.

If its the same bundle as over here then those games are hard bundled with the pad so its unlikely they will change it. What you could do is try and make the 360 overheat and let it RROD and tell Microsoft that was the problem in the first place.

What you could do is try and make the 360 overheat and let it RROD and tell Microsoft that was the problem in the first place.

That's a good call. Also try phoning the service centre and tell them you had the three red lights intermittently but now it's just doing the E74 error. Ask to 'escalate' the call so you get to speak to a supervisor.

If you're determined then you won't have to pay for the repair. If you just want a new box with HDMI and better reliability then buy an Arcade one and keep your old hard drive. They're cheaper than a Wii now.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've decided to just tell them that I've been getting the rrod and then buy a new one when it is being fixed and take advantage of the deals. When it is back from microsoft I'll sell the old one and it hopefully it will work out quite well. I bought my xbox not long after they came out, so it is quite old and also didn't benefit from any of the slight modifications they have made, so it hasn't been a bad run. Having said that, it really isn't right that you should be pleased that a games console lasted you only 2 1/2 - 3 years.

• 4 weeks later...

This is not the right place to ask this but i also didn't think it would be worthy of a thread of its own.

Anyway, does the Xbox 360 support games from around the world or is it just for games that are for this region? I am asking this as i would like to play the American college basketball/football games but i only have a new 360 from this country.

The thing with the PS3 is, as soon as you download an update, it region locks it anyway so it would be pointless even then. I believe that happened in an update around March/April time.

As for the 360, im gutted that it also can't play them games. I really would like to be able to play the March Madness Tournament on NCAA Basketball.

The thing with the PS3 is, as soon as you download an update, it region locks it anyway so it would be pointless even then. I believe that happened in an update around March/April time.

As for the 360, im gutted that it also can't play them games. I really would like to be able to play the March Madness Tournament on NCAA Basketball.

Im pretty sure the region codeing is only done by certain publishers on the 360, definatly 2k games and EA

I'll be without a tv for a few weeks and I was wondering if it is possible to run a 360 through a laptop. It's an HP with an hdmi port and everything...any ideas?

360 to vga cable hould do it 19.99

• 5 weeks later...

Siting down last nite, i was away to play my Xbox360 for the first time in months, i was playgin fifa09 for an hour, then signed up to xbox live , a few mins later the screen freezes, i went through the step by step on the xbox website.

called there phone line today, im now waiting on emails from xbox and ups and have been told its gonna take 2-3 weeks for my xbox to be returned working :-(

all my plans for the weekend gone out the window.

alwell back to fm2009.

I don't understand why Microsofts customer support is so bad? From my experience with Sony, it takes 2-3 days to give a replacement or if a repair job is the only option, about a week or two.

My laser broke after it got a whack, 2 days later I had a replacement despite being a few weeks out of warranty. Genuinely the best customer support I've had.

Not having a dig or being a fanboy, just can't understand why they don't just send a refurbished one or at least cut down on replacement time. They have had lots of practice to be fair! :P

I´ve had two breakdowns with my 360, both times customer service has been excellent. Turnaround time first time it happened as a bit longer than the second. Last time I had a repaired console back within 10 days.

My Xbox is being picked up by UPS tomarrow morning, i would love to have it back in ten days, but the label address is in germany.

My 360 has finally given up the ghost. The red rings appear when it's placed horizontally and when it is standing vertical, the screen scrambles and the signal between the TV and console is then lost. It won't even recognize GOW2 anymore.

What do I need to do to get this fixed?

Cheers.

Archived