BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Your Hometown Teams (not Rovers Obviously)

LeChuck

I get to the odd Kingstonian game as they are close otherwise I used to go to Brentford for a couple of seasons with a mate until he had a kid and can't get out any more. The football might be crap but the match-day experience in the lower-leagues is a lot more pleasant than the Premier League, not least because the whole day will cost you £30 rather than £100+.

This might explain why I'm not that bothered by the idea of relegation.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Live about 5 miles from a village called Nailsworth, home of the mighty Forest Green Rovers, so we always look out for their results.

Its colder than Ewood in an ice box and quite expensive for the standard of football so don't get to more than a few games a season.

They've just drawn Derby in the cup though so could well be a good crowd that day. Might make the trip.

Le Chuck - On a side note, whats the name of that fella that got sent down for assault?? Is he still inside?

The missus lives next door to Sean Rigg - the lad who's jaw he broke - so was wondering if the guy has always been a prick, or just a case of the red mist that day??

Ayr United (where I was brought up)

Glasgow Celtic (where I wen to University and nearest big city)

Barnet (where I live now) and until this season

Anywhere Mr Croft was playing (I went to Lincoln and Grimsby WITHOUT the Rovers! Although sadly we may well be meeting them more regularly soon)

Hull City when i am at home from university, but my local team would be Bolton up here :(

I used to go to a lot of games when i were little lad down the old Boothferry Park (can't even remember if its spelt like that) when they were on the verge of going out of business, felt strange because even though the club was about to die, i really didn't care because i've always been Rovers through and through, and when my dad would take me to City, i'd be wishing i'd gone with my grandad to Ewood. I thought i'd of been a bit sad at the thought of a team i'd been to see loads being on the verge of closing but i wasn't even bothered.

My first ever game was at Boothererry Park, in 1987. I was 6 and Hull were playing Newcastle, who won with a fat Mick Quinn hat trick. The Geordies were going mental.

Back home would probably be Linfield who have won the most trophies in World football apparently. The standard of Northern Irish football at league level isn't great or anywhere near the standard it used to be. My Dad often tells me how he remembers them beating the likes of Man City in the 70's at Maine Road in the Cup Winners Cup and reaching the Quarter Finals of what is now the Champions League in front of 30 or 40,000 at Windsor Park.

Try to go and watch a local game or two when I'm back home as a couple of my mates support local teams such as Bangor and Glentoran. Good old school football spending half the game in the social club having a bevvie or three then paying a couple of quid on the gate at half time :D

As for where I live now QPR are a five minute walk round the corner.

He might have been fat but I wouldn't mind a finisher like him playing for Blackburn at the moment! He certainly knew where the back of the net was.

That's why I love players like Mick Quinn, Le Tissier etc. They have a pie and a fag before the game, look like they won their place in a raffle at a pub and then score 100 goals for your club.

Closest team to me are giantkillers Histon. Their ground is just over a mile away, and I live in a larger village. They just knocked Leeds out of the cup - really is an amazing feat.

I have been to see Cambridge Utd a few times in the 4 years I've been in East Anglia but they have sunk like a stone since I arrived. Majority of Cambridge residents would rather solve a quadratic equation than watch the U's, and to be honest, almost all the games I've seen have been truly awful. At £12 a head it's not as cheap as conference football should be!

Well I have two close teams; in the third tier of state football is Dulwich Hill FC who last season missed promotion to the Winter Super League when club legend "Super" Norm Tome missed a penalty in a nail-biting penalty shoot out in in the NSW Division 1 Grand Final. In the top tier (A-League), my club is Sydney FC and their season is mirroring Rovers' season; delusional manager, striker not scoring, declining crowds and the feeling that this season will be a bad one. Well at least this season we beat Melbourne away for the first time :grin:

Adelaide United - got to the final of the AFC this year (Asia's version of the Champions League) but lost 5-0 to Gamba Osaka over 2 legs.

RDU, that wasn't you at the fourth day of the cricket v NZ, was it?

There was a guy in a Rovers shirt, sitting next/near to a bloke in what looked like a Bumley shirt.

The rovers bloke had a grey beard.

Aalesund FK - relegation candidates Norwegian Tippeliga.

Why do I follow football?

I support 2 relegation candidates - I am terrible at choosing teams :P

The Boro because i was born near there. Rochdale because my daughter felt sorry for them when we thumped them a few years back and so we always look out for their results and go to the odd game if we can, and Lorient in French Ligue 1 because I spend as much time as possible over there and try to get to as many games as possible. also watch out for Newi cefn druids results just because when I first saw their name I had this vision of men in long white robes and funny headdresses running round a football pitch and it amused me.

I still go back every now and then with family still living there. Thankfully I didn't take the accent with me! :)

There are a couple of Blackburn/Hereford links. I belive Chris Price still lives in the area and coached my local village team a few years ago. Davide Bentley's aunite and uncle are also based here and Matt Jansens wife is also from Herefordshire.....oh and Darren Peacock also played for Hereford United but we'll ignore that one.

Brighton: Live there but only carry an interest if they're doing well. which they hardly ever do. With a decent stadium they'd get a larger home gate than us. Great to see them knock out City last month.

Northampton: Born there. Again a fleeting interest at best. just look out for their results now and again. More connected with Brighton then saints.

Hertha Berlin: When i was younger i saw that they wore a blue and white halved home shirt. Ever since ive supported them. not a bad side, top 6 in the Bundesliga at the moment. Flew over to see them a couple of years ago.

Been having a discussion with a collegue at work today on whether it is possible to fully support two club teams.

I don't think it is, whilst he supports both Manchester United and Stoke City. He has supported Manchester United since he was a wee nipper and has a season ticket for Stoke, 'coincidently' this is the first season ticket he has had for Stoke.

He also says that if crunch come to crunch and the final game of the season was Stoke V ManU, with ManU able to win the league, Stoke able to stay up he couldnt make his mind up which he would prefer to win.

Now I for example would like to see Stoke stay in the Premier League (think it's good for the city), but hope that Rovers put 10 past them whenever we play and therefore only class myself as supporting Rovers.

What do you think? Can you fully support two club teams?

Archived