BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Car Alternators

Now, then for you petrol heads out there I have a problem with my alternator on the wife's car.

basically, its charging at low voltage ie 11amps. The battery reading is good 86% and a test whos the under charge.

Does anyone know if the alternator needs to be replaced ? Can it be repaired ? Is it related to the timing belt ?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Now, then for you petrol heads out there I have a problem with my alternator on the wife's car.

basically, its charging at low voltage ie 11amps. The battery reading is good 86% and a test whos the under charge.

Does anyone know if the alternator needs to be replaced ? Can it be repaired ? Is it related to the timing belt ?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

If you put a voltmeter onto the battery terminals and rev the engine, the voltage reading will be above 12 volts - if the alternator is working. There should be a higher voltage reading when the engine is running and revving, than when the engine is stopped.

If it isn't reading above 12 volts, then check the drive belt isn't slipping. If it isn't slipping, then you will probably need a replacement alternator. Quite often it's the diodes that have gone, so replacing those shouldn't be too costly.

Failing that, take the car round to the people Here.. They used to come out to your home as well.

these people will help,

The boss used to manufacture alternators and starters and knows the bis insude out

Ellison Auto Electrics, BB1 3BB

Navigation Mill, Forrest St, Blackburn, Lancashire BB1 3BB

Tel: 01254 265988

B)

What den said is true. At a stand still (car off and nothing drawing power) the volt meter should read 12 volts. As for when the car is running it should read 14 volts. As for it having anything to do with the timing belt, it does NOT have anything to do with the timing system seeing as its tied into the CHARGING system. Anyone who tells you differently should not get your bussiness.

If the vehicle is running and reads lower then 14 volts them sumthing is wrong. Possible causes ate as follows: corrosion on battery cables, bad alternator, bad placement of volt meter, slipping belt. Again if its trading lower then 14 volts replace the alternator. Also if you replace the alternator also replace the belt. Your going to have it off anyways and unless its new its easy to take prevenitive steps now instead of later. Hope everything works out for you and plz let me know if you have any questions. I work on cars for a living and would be more then willing to answer any questions you or anyone may have.

Archived